Norton requiring terminal services - a security risk?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by NewlessClubie, Feb 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NewlessClubie

NewlessClubie Registered Member

Hi All,

Neither NAV 2009 or NIS 2009 will work with terminal services disabled.

This seems like a security hole since most service tweak guides recommend disabling terminal services if you don't need fast user switching or remote desktop (which I don't)

I like both products but this concerns me. Am I worrying about nothing?

Thanks,
    Dave

2. ambient_88

ambient_88 Registered Member

I used to tweak my services pretty heavily, however, I realized that they really are not unnecessary except for a couple of services (i.e. Tablet services, etc). It can be argued that some services might pose a security risk, however, most of them have been fixed already. I have not used an antivirus for quite some time, have not tweaked my services and yet I am not infected at all.

Anyway, I would say that you are worrying for nothing. It is needed by NAV after all, so you won't be able to disable it (if you prefer to use NAV).

3. Coolio10

Coolio10 Registered Member

Some security programs don't work without it for some reason. I know comodo needed it or you get a slow startup.

4. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

Avira works fine with my tweaked services.

5. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Yes....

6. TechOutsider

TechOutsider Registered Member

They don't work at all? More specific please.

7. NewlessClubie

Hi TechOutsider,

Basically with terminal services disabled, the UI won't even load (I believe the tray icon disappears as well).

It hangs for a long time then throws an error about something not loading or starting.

I've tested both NAV and NIS with it enabled and disabled and it's easily repeatable.

As soon as I enable terminal services it's happy again :)
    Thanks,
    Dave

Last edited: Feb 3, 2009
  8. TechOutsider

TechOutsider Registered Member

Disable it again, and try One Click Support; see what it tells you. You can then connect to a Norton tech and see what they do....

9. NewlessClubie

I looked around the Norton forum and it sounds like it is required for NAV/NIS to run.
    Enabling it was the solution for people who couldn't get the program to run.

I was just curious if people thought that using terminal services was goofy concept.

It seems like having a car alarm that requires you to open a window for it to work but maybe I'm just paranoid :)

Thanks,
    Dave

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.