Norton Removal Tool

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by JerryM, Aug 24, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

I am currently using NIS with satisfaction. However, I might want to try Kaspersky 2013 and would like to use the Norton Removal Tool (NRT) to make sure any problem is not related to junk left after removal of Norton.

I can't find a download for the latest NRT. Help?

EDIT I found it.
    Thanks,
    Jerry

2. NICK ADSL UK

NICK ADSL UK Administrator

3. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Many thanks, Nick.
    Jerry

4. NICK ADSL UK

NICK ADSL UK Administrator

your very welcome jerry :thumb:

5. itman

itman Registered Member

Save yourself some grief and stay with NIS.

I wanted to try KIS for years and due to their current aggresive pricing, got KIS 2012 for basically free.

First installing it is a major hassle since it wants to uninstall any realtime software anti-malware software including MBAM Pro.

Installing after cleaning off everything on my PC went well. That is about the best I can say of the product.

I have a fairly powerfull CPU with 8GB of RAM and KIS slowed my WIN 7 x64 PC. Worse was Internet access. IE9 slowed considerably. I tried all I knew to optimize KIS 2012 and gave up and restored my boot drive from a backup image back to prior to the KIS 2012 installation.

If you prowl the KIS forum, you will see complaints about performance up the wazoo.

6. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Hi itman,

I have checked the KAV forum, and there are some problems. My plan is to at least wait until things seem to have smoothed out. I have used KIS in the past and ditched it in time due to the "corrupted database" and need to restart so often. I am watching this to see if there are complaints re 2013.

I have no complaints with NIS. It has been smooth and trouble free. I also have several boxed copies I got at bargains. I have to admit I am a little disappointed that Norton has not participated in the AVC tests lately. I realize that does not mean they have slipped, but I like to have some test results to make sure. I also admit that I hesitate to change the AV on my main machine.

I'll just watch things for awhile, and may just leave things as they are. I did put Avast on my laptop just for fun, but Avast has always been a favorite and my "go to" AV when I did not know what I wanted. It is doing well on the laptop, except the sandbox messes things up. I do not consider that a problem as I never used one anyway.

But MBAM Pro is a necessary application and permanent removal of it is non-negotiable. However, I think you can install Kaspersky first and then reinstall MBAM. I have done that with KAV.

Thanks for the advice. Partially, I sometimes get bored in my old age and try something. If it messes up then I wish I had "Let sleeping dogs lie." :):)

Regards,
    Jerry

7. itman

itman Registered Member

Put the dog to sleep in a partion image backup before fooling around. That way you can wake up that old dog with an image restore. :D

8. lodore

lodore Registered Member

Hey Jerry,
    I havent had any issues with uninstalling newer versions of norton even without the standalone removal tool.
    I ditched kis for the same reason tbh.

9. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Hi Lodore, my friend,
    Good to see you are around and alert.:)

I have removed Norton a couple of times without any problem that I could detect. The latest was about 3 weeks ago when I put Avast on my laptop.
    I appreciate the information, and I am not sure that I am going to remove NIS from this computer, but if so I'll give it a try without the tool. Removing from the Control Panel, and searching for any folders has seemed to take care of it.

I had problems with the sandbox in Avast IS and the advice from the Avast forum was that the problem might have been caused by leftover from Norton. I doubt it, however. I am not really concerned about the sandbox as I have never used one, and evidently have not needed one. I do like the Safe Mode, however, for doing financial stuff.

Thanks again for the advice.

Regards,
    Jerry

10. itman

itman Registered Member

I had many more issues with Avast residuals than I had with any other AV/IS I have used. Although I uninstalled Avast via add/remove programs and subsequently used their "clean: tool, I was still finding Avast stuff both in my registry and on my hard drive months later. This really turned me off on the free version of Avast.

11. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

12. itman

itman Registered Member

No. This appears to have been released only a week ago and I removed Avast months ago.

I am also a bit leery of running new cleaners from relatively unknown web sites. A good way to trash your system.

I also think I might have used RevoUninstaller to remove Avast. It was great at removing most of Comodo when I unistalled it.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2012
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.