Norton leaves too much footprints

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by tisungho, Nov 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tisungho

tisungho Registered Member

What do u think?
    I uninstalled a trialled NIS 2008 from Vista. CCleaner found almost 100 garbage registry entries. In addition, Norton still reports Windows Security Center that it's still up and protecting. Even I uninstalled it from Norton Removal Tool.

What do u say?

2. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

does it really matter? ....

if the software runs good enough, with minimal system performance, does it matter?

ie. you have a whole 12 month licence, why would you care about what it leaves on your machine?

plus, there are removal tools for that.

3. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

did you use the nortons cleaner from their web site.. that should get rid of nearly everything for you except maybe a few things for ccleaner to wipe out

4. eBBox

eBBox Registered Member

I have uninstalled NIS08 many times from Vista the last period while testing F-Secure Client Security, TMIS08 and McAfee Total Protection 2008 and all the times it just left the same 2 entries which ccleaner found ;) Something must have gone wrong, especially with the Security Center Reports o_O

5. tisungho

Yes, it does for me, especially for normal trialling people who don't have backup solutions.
    I used to trialled F-Secure. It was completely removed by its removal tool.

6. tisungho

I downloaded a removal tool from Here

7. Arup

Arup Guest

They have improved, used to be 500+ entries before.

8. Norton360

Norton360 Registered Member

Some of that keys are related to the license of the product, so you can continue with it in case you reinstall the application again.

9. dawgg

dawgg Registered Member

Fact is, at the end of the day; there shouldn't be a need to download the uninstallation/cleaning tool... should all happen via the uninstaller.
    App settings and activation/license data, backup/quarantine files and update files leftover is alright... should have a prompt whether you want to keep the stuff... other than that, everything should be gone (which if often isnt)

10. JasSolo

JasSolo Registered Member

Try to install it again, then uninstall again. Pretty sure it's not Norton, but Vista, who cause the problem.

Had the same problem with good old NOD32, testing other AV's. Things like that hardly ever happens in XP.

Cheers

11. tisungho

Wowww, it's long long journey :D

12. JasSolo

JasSolo Registered Member

Yup sometimes it is :)
    I used the official Norton/Symantec uninstaller...It did'nt help. Then i used jv16 Powertools + RegCure, to clean, nevertheless it didn't help. Then I tried the good old install/uninstall again, and guess what?!....The problem was solved!!
    What can I say...Never had the same problem on XP, only on "The problem child" Vista...This goes for other software as well....:D

Cheers

13. midway40

midway40 Registered Member

My procedure for removing Norton is Add/Remove>>SymNRT>>CCleaner. By the time I get to CCleaner I have never seen more than 15 Symantec entries left.

What's the big deal about Symantec having a removal tool? Doesn't Kaspersky, F-Secure, Trend Micro, and others I don't know about have removal tools? Why doesn't someone mention them? Just because it is the 'hated' Norton is the only reason why it is in the spotlight more I guess.

I don't care what kind of software it is but most all of them leaves traces on your computer. Everytime I uninstall something I always run CCleaner which 90% of the time finds stuff left over. And I can't be the only one that has noticed that.

The Security Center in Vista has a bug in it as far as the Repository getting screwed up and showing multiple AV's and FW's installed. I have had several times to reset the WMI which involves the following procedure:

Click on Start>>All Programs>>Accessories
    Right click on Command Prompt and select “Run as Administrator”
    When the command window pops up you should be in your \Windows\System32 directory
    Type in the following commands:

cd wbem
    net stop winmgmt
    rmdir /s /q repository
    net start winmgmt

Close the command window and start Security Center.
    It will inform you that the SecCenter service is disabled so enable it.
    After a period of time in which the Repository is rebuilt it should only report the presently installed security software.

Hopefully this will be fixed in SP1.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.