Norton Launches 2012 Products

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by malexous, Sep 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

This is typical of the response I would get on their forum. Being blown off as not a problem, treated as though it is not happening, even accused of running pirated software. This is the reason you don't see more complaints there. It all falls on deaf ears. Rather than dealing with the issue it is swept under the rug. And 90+ percent of the time when there is a false positive the files are permanently deleted, not quarantined. Unrecoverable.

It is probably my one and only complaint with Norton and they refuse to address it properly. They even told me once that it is the responsibility of software vendors to submit new files to them so they do not get deleted just for the fact that they have no reputation data. All files are dangerous until proven otherwise. You didn't want that file did you? Because we aren't going to ask... o_O No other product I have used does that.

2. steve1955

steve1955 Registered Member

I have never had any false +ves with norton, Nis 2010 onwards, or files deleted that I wanted to keep but I do think norton should re-engineer their products to give the end user the final say with ANY file whether or not it may be what could be classed as malware or not

3. Victek

Victek Registered Member

The problem of false positives - which I also have only experienced occasionally - is not that they happen but that it can be difficult to deal with them. Sometimes files are unrecoverable because NIS deletes instead of quarantining them. I would like the automatic and un-reversible deleting behavior to be optional - it's not AFAICT. And I don't consider downloading the latest version of a program or a program patch "living on the edge". Sometimes that's desirable. For the most part NIS doesn't quarantine or delete these. It simply pops up a notice saying that very little is known about the file, and that's appropriate. Advanced users downloading new file versions and marking them as safe is how NIS builds the file/user database.

Last, I think NIS does a pretty good job of meeting the needs of novices through defaults and masking advance settings while giving advanced users the option to get at those settings. It just falls short here and there.

4. Victek

Victek Registered Member

I've experienced the "selective listening" problem in their forums as well and it has been about issues more serious than false positives. For instance they never confirmed that the inability to stop the zeroaccess rootkit was fixed even though I specifically asked them. IMO that's unprofessional and a real reason to stop using their products.

5. XTremeX

XTremeX Registered Member

if you stop using a product by one reason then you should change your AV every day.

6. mvdu

mvdu Registered Member

You are assuming all reasons are the same, and they are not.

7. De Hollander

De Hollander Registered Member

8. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

Regarding FPs, I have to agree somewhat with qakbot: Symantec sometimes takes too long to fix FPs (I'm talking weeks here at worst!).

Other than that, I have nothing to say since I do not currently use Norton.

9. Defcon

Defcon Registered Member

Is there a way to download all available LiveUpdate patches? I'm going to buy NIS 2012 digital download from Amazon and want to put it on a disk for offline installation.

10. lodore

lodore Registered Member

not sure about all the live update patches but you can get the latest installer from www.norton.com/nis12

11. Victek

Victek Registered Member

12. malexous

malexous Registered Member

Only the latest virus definitions are available for download and install offline. If you use the 19.5 installer, there will be virus definitions and updates for different components when you run LiveUpdate. At least, one will require a restart (Firefox 10 compatibility). I do not think any of them will be big in size (as the 19.5 installer is relatively up-to date), unless you turn off Smart Definitions.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2012
  13. Birdman

Birdman Registered Member

Does anyone know what "Product Key Codes" for previous version(s) of Norton Internet Security will work with NIS 2012?

I found a shop nearby that is selling new/boxed versions NIS 2010 and NIS 2011 and I want to see which one would be accepted by 2012.

Thanks.

14. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

both should be ;)

15. xxJackxx

From my understanding 2006+

16. Birdman

Birdman Registered Member

Thanks for the tip guys. Just found out that the store was selling Norton AV not NIS. :'(

Do you know where the cheapest place online is to purchase a 3-user product activation key for NIS (any version/year that would work with NIS 2012)?

Thx

17. xxJackxx

Amazon is usually the cheapest place to get a legitimate license.

18. Victek

Victek Registered Member

If you don't mind dealing with rebates frys.com is a good source. NIS is sometimes "free after rebate" from them. It's not on sale at the moment though.

19. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Yep, I got NIS 2011 from Amazon for almost nothing over a year ago....

20. malexous

Last edited: Mar 9, 2012
  21. ellison64

ellison64 Registered Member

22. malexous

23. xxJackxx

An interesting test BUT I really would like to see more of these tests run on Windows 7. All of these tests are always done on XP and I have not used it in 4 years now. Maybe they test AV on XP because more things get past the OS so it is more of a workout for the AV but that is exactly why I want to see them done on a more current OS.

24. Nevis

Nevis Registered Member

I also have not encountered any FP with Norton.

People here are not understanding that ordinary people do not know anything about security and settings. Most of the time WS.Reputation are actually malware ( which are updated in signature).

I personally think that Norton should provide an option rather than deleting the file. Overall, for normal users it would not matter much.

25. dazed1

dazed1 Registered Member

Can anyone expalin me this??

Product Update - 19.6.1 for Norton Internet Security 2012 and Norton AntiVirus 2012

Please note that all Norton Internet Security 2012 and Norton AntiVirus 2012 customers with a valid subscription will receive this update for free. Not using the Norton 2012 products? See if you qualify for a FREE update to the 2012 products by visiting the Norton Update Center.

2. When will I receive the patch?

This update is currently available through LiveUpdate. If you have not received the patch, please restart your system and run LiveUpdate manually.

Restarted the system, did an liveupdate...

i get this result..

http://pic.mk/images/SnM9.jpg

Then i try to manually update the version, the result?

http://pic.mk/images/wV0qi.jpg

Why i can't, update and also Norton manual update says i got the latest version when i don't?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.