Norton Launches 2012 Products

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by malexous, Sep 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ExtremeGamerBR

ExtremeGamerBR Registered Member

2. Trooper

Trooper Registered Member

Where is the update for getting rid of fp's as well as deleting files with no way to retrieve them.

3. steve1955

steve1955 Registered Member

whether you can retrieve them depends on the level of "danger" they are to a PC,as to whether they have tweaked the detection engine cure false+ves I doubt any vendor would admit to doing so,its an outright admission that they got product wrong on release!

4. Trooper

Understood, I just like having a bit more control over what I want to retreive etc. You know?

5. steve1955

steve1955 Registered Member

don't forget AV products are aimed at users of all skill levels:-better to be overprotective than lacking

6. Trooper

I spose. But for techies like you and I.

/me wants the control over it.

7. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

Me too. I doubt they will add that functionality in this version. Maybe in 2013. I would still like to see them release a suite for advanced users. I doubt they feel it is worth their time. :(

8. Trooper

That would be awesome. It would possibly bring me back. For now I'm using other products. Its a shame that Symantec has their product setup this way.

9. malexous

malexous Registered Member

Edited:

10. Thankful

Thankful Savings Monitor

Running fine for me. Just made some changes to SONAR parameters to prevent
    automatic deletion.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2011
  11. BoerenkoolMetWorst

BoerenkoolMetWorst Registered Member

I'm trying out NIS 2012 and was tweaking the settings and found out that in the Firewall settings you can disable Automatic program control and then you can enable Advanced events monitoring which seems like a mini-HIPS or something. Is anyone using this? It also has detection of keylogging but it doesn't alert to Spyshelter's and Zemana's test tools :doubt:

12. Victek

Victek Registered Member

I've done this in the past with NIS, but not the 2012 product. For the most part I let it handle app permissions automatically, but I do sometimes go in and adjust specific apps, for instance to stop something from phoning home and causing pop-up ads. Beyond this I don't know that there's much benefit in micromanaging it.

13. doolhof

doolhof Registered Member

Attached Files:

14. BoerenkoolMetWorst

Anyone else, and has anyone tested the antikeylogging?

15. xxJackxx

In my experience Norton has never been great with keyloggers. The Russian suites tend to do best with them.

16. chriswiles

chriswiles Registered Member

Anyone found any 19.2 trial download links yet?

17. De Hollander

De Hollander Registered Member

No link, because 19.1. was a major update, 19.2 is just a minor patch update

18. BoerenkoolMetWorst

I tried another Anti-keylogger test with 7 different keylogging methods, NIS didn't warn about any, and that test file is a few years old already, so it seems the keylogging detection is indeed lacking. Like doolhof I also got a pop-up once without an OK button, so it seems to me that this component is not really being actively developed by the Norton devs.

19. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

The best cure for keyloggers is to block them from getting on your computer in the first place, & (IMO) Norton does a good job from that standpoint. That is -- Norton is quite effective in preventing trojans, including those with keylogger payloads.

Even so, I always use Spyshelter (alongside Norton) at those specific times when I am doing online financial transactions.

20. BoerenkoolMetWorst

Of course, I agree completely. I'm not trying to bash Norton.
    Multi-layered security setups are the best, I was trying out the Advanced events monitoring incl. the Anti-keylogger function to see if it is an adequate extra layer, or if it might be better to use a secondary product such as Spyshelter.

21. malexous

malexous Registered Member

22. Victek

Victek Registered Member

23. xxJackxx

Don't know that I would be in a hurry. I was excited to see an update too, but the feedback on the Norton Forums from the people that do have it so far doesn't look promising. I thought they had made a great comeback with the 2010 version. The 2011 a little less so. The 2012 version has been a sad step back in the wrong direction. It has been buggy and has too many false positives, and when I tried to report one they argued with me about it and I had to send them a screenshot. Down to using it on 1 machine out of 3. They are reverting back to where they aren't listening to the customers, and it is going to cost them some. I hope they get it back together for the 2013 version. I do give them credit for keeping up with the rapid Firefox updates. The product I am using now on my 2 main machines sure isn't. :ouch:

24. Victek

Victek Registered Member

Thanks, I'll have to read the threads over there. I think the problem of FPs in NIS2012 may be caused by Symantec pushing the sensitivity of SONAR and Auto-Protect to the limit. I've had a problem recently where NIS2012 has automatically deleted downloaded files based on a lack of info ("reputation"), and I've had to recover them from Quarantine - annoying. I agree that the larger problem is them turning a deaf ear to users who point out bugs or weaknesses. I will be switching to a different product when my current sub runs out for that reason.

25. qakbot

qakbot Registered Member

The problems of false positives are overrated. Think about it, there are 10s of millions of paying norton customers. If FPs were are big problem, the forums should be full of thousands of complaints. All I see is dozens. I personally have never seen a false positive from SONAR or Download Insight. Then again, I also dont live on the edge, downloading the latest beta version, patch etc. the day it comes out. THats that kind of people that visit security forums, however that is NOT your average user.

So "no", I think you might be over-reacting.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.