Norton IS vs 360

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by JerryM, Jul 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

It appears to me that the major difference between Norton 360 and IS is that the 360 provided online back up storage.
    I am wondering how users like either. In spite of the dislike by some, Norton is consistently at or near the top on AV Comparatives tests.

In the past I bought renewal licenses off ebay. There are some good buys on Norton there.

Thoughts on Norton?

Regards,
    Jerry

2. EliteKiller

EliteKiller Registered Member

Hi Jerry, try to spend a few minutes using the wonderful search feature and you'll see that Norton is frequently discussed. As with any piece of software ymmv, so be sure to take advantage of the free trials of both products. Softpedia has both available.

3. ALiasEX

ALiasEX Registered Member

4. clocks

clocks Registered Member

If you have a router, use NAV. If not, NIS. 360 has extra stuff that is not really needed IMO.

5. mhl6493

mhl6493 Registered Member

I'm running NIS 2010 and have been totally satisfied so far. I trialed 360 and it was OK as well. I didn't need the backup, and I have other system clean-up utilities, so I went with NIS instead. Plus, I happened to like the GUI of NIS better anyway. IMHO you can't go wrong with either product.

6. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Thanks. I appreciate the input as I was looking for those who are currently using Norton.

Regards,
    Jerry

7. ALiasEX

ALiasEX Registered Member

Norton 2010 caused problems with one of my machines. That machine currently needs fixing so I haven't reported the problem to Norton.

At least three other computers in my family use Norton, all without problems.

Make sure to use a trial.

8. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

imo def nis2010 over 360... a lot of extra junk with 360 (unless you like that sort of thing) i Love nis2010. i do find it a bit to sensitive though. it has flagged a lot of things on me that are 100% not a virus or malware.. some of my dell bios tools being one of them it flags them and they come to me right from dell being a repair tech... i also used some no disc things for games so i dont always have to put the discs in... it almost always flags those... its sonar thats extra sensitive. im using avast right now but if i could have it tones down a bit id switch back in a second to be honest..and i may once 2011 comes out..

9. icr

icr Registered Member

I'll choose NIS the difference like online back up all other additional features is not being used frequently by me and BTW NIS is updated first(in terms of program version) after that N360 is updated.

10. 3GUSER

3GUSER Registered Member

I also prefer Norton Antivirus and Internet Security to 360.

N360 is for people with some very specific needs.

11. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

The amount of tweaking can also be much greater in Norton Internet Security, than is allowable in 360. At least that was the case the last time I looked which admittedly was a while ago.

12. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Thanks, All.
    Norton is not popular among folks on this forum, but most of the people that I know use either Norton or AVG free. Some ISPs provide an AV free.

I am pretty well set in my own security set up, and was just wondering what current users were experiencing.
    Thanks again.

Regards,
    Jerry

13. Victek

Victek Registered Member

I'm using NIS 2010 on three machines. It has worked flawlessly and it is a particularly good choice for my wife's PC since it doesn't bother her with alerts. I prefer the NIS GUI over 360 - more user friendly IMHO. The old problems of slow install/uninstall are gone and impact on system resources is low compared to other suites. NIS is more affordable as well.

14. clocks

clocks Registered Member

BTW - Fry's currently has NAV 3 user license on sale free after rebate.

15. King Grub

King Grub Registered Member

I use NIS 2010 on one of my machines. I have not had any issues with it, smooth and light.

Well, one issue: in one build, there was a "full-screen bug" which made NIS open itself up when you changed resolution, switched screens or played a full-screen game. But that issue was fixed (even if it took quite a while).

16. 3GUSER

3GUSER Registered Member

T O P I C N O N - S E N S E . I was havning some spare time and I was just wondering ...

17. 3GUSER

3GUSER Registered Member

No, currently both NAV/NIS/N360 can be tweaked and configured the same . The difference is in the user interface and the place where each setting is. NAV and NIS are in a group ; N360 is in the other.

18. Pleonasm

Pleonasm Registered Member

This was probably was a true a few years ago, but I’m not sure it is now....

19. lodore

lodore Registered Member

i do agree it that it has improved.

20. dan323

dan323 Registered Member

I have tried several different suites in the last couple months. I find that Norton IS is the best for me. My laptop starts faster,scans better,and I feel is better protected. That is my opinion. I have tried Comodo complete,zonealarm extreme,eset,escan,avast,avira,norton,avg and bit defender plus kaspersky. I purchase NIS 2010. Everything works better with NIS. Thats who I'll stick with.

21. iwod

iwod Registered Member

Norton 360 is cheaper for Multi user Liscense then NIS 2010 in my area.

So i tried Norton 360 on five machines in a small SOHO office. I like 360 interface more then NIS.

Norton 360 also perform Background Defrag and other optimization features during idle. Great if you are installing it on a Noob computer.

Personally i see Norton 2010 ( 2011 is EVEN BETTER ) one of the best if not the best IS product out there.

If you are seeking for
    Low Resources usage
    Low / Zero Hassle.
    Low false detection.
    Very good Malware protection.

Then norton is a very good choice.

22. SPRINTMAN

SPRINTMAN Registered Member

NIS 2010 light and fast and backup checks with MBAM and every other product known show no infections, inone n fact since NIS 2009 was installed. NIS these days bares no relation to Norton of old, personally I think they should have renamed it.

23. lodore

lodore Registered Member

I have found from client machines that norton needs alot of reboots.
    on a new install it updates wants reboot then updates and reboots again.
    I dont know any other internet security suite that would need multiple reboots for updates.

24. EliteKiller

EliteKiller Registered Member

The reboots are typically issued after a major update. Off the top of my head I've seen Avast 5 require reboots after program updates. :p

25. Victek

Victek Registered Member

I've seen this on new installs as well. I think what's going on is Symantec doesn't update the installer over time, so new installs require not only a significant signature download, but also an engine/version update. After that initial process though reboots only occur with version updates. As long as the internet connection is reasonably fast it isn't a problem - I just have to remember to get it going early and do other things for a while :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.