Norton is the best Antivirus-Do you think about this?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by TAP, Jul 17, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Randy_Bell

Randy_Bell Registered Member

Ahem .. no need to make insulting remarks like that my friend. I have 17000 posts at DSLReports Security Forum and am Wilders contributor too, and slthough I'm no expert, I do think I've learned some things in the Security area. And I use NAV on all my machines at home. Perhaps you didn't mean to say: "A person who really understands about security issues would never pick up Norton as his/her antivirus solution" ?? Isn't that a tad extreme? :eek:

2. Randy_Bell

Randy_Bell Registered Member

You're kidding, right? No offense but you can't find much on that Site, compared to the other major Vendors: Symantec, TrendMicro, Computer Associates, Sophos, McAfee/NAI, etc. I don't mean to offend, but am a bit surprised at this statement ... take care RejZoR, I realize you dislike Norton, many do, and that's fine you're entiitled to opinion just like everyone else. ;)

EDIT: Perhaps you were speaking of the large size of Kaspersky's database {signatures}, in which case I agree with you. I thought you were saying the VirusList Site documents more malware {virus, worm, trojan} than say, Symantec or Trend or McAfee sites do. That is patently inaccurate, I often cannot find anything at VirusList when doing comparative Vendor writeups on a given worm or whatever that is documented at these other sites. Others have found this to be true. But hopefully you were referring to the size of KAV's database {signatures} in which case I agree with you on that point. Take Care .. {forgot to mention Panda and F-Secure, they also have excellent virus encyclopedias}. ;)

Last edited: Jul 29, 2004
  3. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

I agree with you 100% Randy, unfortunately your quote above just doesn't fly in this forum. I said the exact same thing a couple of times and got flamed to Kingdom Come and back, and throughout it all I NEVER slam dunked another posters AV choice. To play it safe in life these days I guess it's best never to discuss religion, politics, or anti-virus. :blink:

Acadia

EDIT: Oh yeah, and some of the insulting posts in these threads were really meant by the posters, it came from their hearts, well, it came from somewhere. :D

4. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

@Randy_Bell
    Facts my friend,facts,not opinions :p And we don't thin just about detection. There is lots of other very important factors for selecting AV software...

5. Arin

Arin Registered Member

dear Acadia, you have my support. its true sometimes people forget their manners but the Administrators are doing a good job.

dear Randy, you are partially right about Viruslist. no encyclopedia is perfect but the information in Kaspersky's site is a lot better than other sites. i'm not talking about virus descriptions only.

dear RejZor, you should be more polite. a person maybe a little ignorant regarding computers but who knows he/she might be a high flying doctor or something like that. just keep in mind that we are not experts on every field. i hope you'll show your good side in your next posts.

6. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

At Wilders they always have. Between Paul and them is why this Forum has always remained for the most part so civil and when you consider how this place has grown that is quite commendable. :)

Acadia

7. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

C'mon,like i said anything offensive?

8. dangitall

dangitall Registered Member

Yep. Just like the first two, AV is a matter of personal choice. For me, NAV works just fine ... but you won't see me bashing another person's choice of AV under any circumstances, or trying to get them to change to NAV. Once the NAV-bashing starts, I tend to leave. Cowardly? Perhaps, but I've got a short fuse, and I prefer not to be in a situation where I might start 'doing unto others'.

9. D0WNtheDRAIN

D0WNtheDRAIN Guest

N0rt0n is the sl0west pig s0ftware I can think 0f. S0rry but my oh key d0esn't w0rk well.

10. goldberry

goldberry Registered Member

I bought my first computer 3 years ago and have been learning the ropes thru hard knocks and wonderful forums such as Wilders Security. About a month ago a web page tried to download something as soon as I surfed to it. The Avast which I installed about a month prior showed the following in it's log. So I have spent this month trying to figure out if I am safe or not. Anyway, I have spent hours as a silent observer just pouring over the forum posts and trying to follow the suggestions of others. But one place I haven't posted at is the Avast forums because of remarks similar to, "If you are a moron,even a 20 engined AV cannot help you." To me as someone just beginning it seemed the attitudes at the Avast forums were very intolerant and unaccepting. In fact, out of mere principle, I am thinking of uninstalling and trying something different. The posts here have helped me so much in learning how to protect myself in this ever worsening battle against "The Baddies". I was so glad when I saw how you guys here stood up with statements such as "A person maybe a little ignorant regarding computers but who knows he/she might be a high flying doctor or something like that. just keep in mind that we are not experts on every field." When you are just now realizing how the many viruses, trojans, worms, and malware seem to be never ending it is a light in the darkness to read the posts here at Wilders made by good people. I am including a bit of log here just to show an example of an avast log. I'm not really sure what it means but this particular trojan is in the chest so I geuss I'm OK. I have installed all kinds of programs that I found suggested here at Wilders though.
    6/28/2004 9:15:24 PM NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM 1208
    Sign of "Win32:Inservice [Trj]" has been found in "C:\Documents and Settings\Debra\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\WNX766N9\download_plugin[1].exe" file.
    6/28/2004 9:25:16 PM SYLVANGLADE\Debra 3116
    Sign of "Win32:Inservice [Trj]" has been found in "C:\Documents and Settings\Debra\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\WNX766N9\download_plugin[1].exe" file.
    7/1/2004 4:54:49 AM NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM 1208 Function setifaceUpdatePackages() has failed. Return code is 0xC0000142, dwRes is C0000142.
    7/1/2004 4:54:50 AM NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM 1208 An error has occured while attempting to update. Please check the logs.
    7/1/2004 9:01:26 AM NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM 1208 Function setifaceUpdatePackages() has failed. Return code is 0xC0000142, dwRes is C0000142.
    7/1/2004 9:01:27 AM NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM 1208 An error
    Thanks so much to all for just being yourselves and for creating an environment where I will feel safe here to watch and learn.

11. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

Welcome to Wilders Goldberry, hope your stay is long :)

Some here do get a little passionate, and are then asked by moderators to rein it in a bit. You have chosen to jump into one of those areas where passion abounds...

If you see the following link it will have some answers to your logs:

http://www.pestpatrol.com/PestInfo/t/trojandownloader_win32_inservice.asp

Cheers :D

Last edited: Jul 30, 2004
  12. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Welcome, Goldberry, ENJOY! :)

Acadia

13. Arin

Arin Registered Member

dear Goldberry, welcome to the forum. don't just be silent watcher. please contribute your thoughts and opinions here, we are looking forward to it. some sites try to make us download some plugins so that they could provide us with more service. don't download ANY of such plugins.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.