Norton is it overrated?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Main, May 18, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Madsen DK

Madsen DK Registered Member

Tech!
    I dont use NAV, but i think ive seen, that you can check a box, so NAV ask the user first, before any action is taken.
    Regards
    Ole

2. Technodrome

Technodrome Security Expert

3. Technodrome

There’ve been some discussions about this over at dslr. . ;)

Technodrome

4. Madsen DK

Okay Tech.
    Now i get it :D :D :D
    sorry :oops:
    Regards
    Ole :cool:

5. Technodrome

Its the easiest AV and yet very effective.

I don't think there is one...

Technodrome

6. Tinribs

Tinribs Registered Member

I used Norton alone for over a year and never had a problem with it, it caught many a Magistr infected email in its time and was relatively easy on my pc's resources. I still recommend it to those who want a trouble free and 'forgettable' av ,.
    To be honest its probably the most trouble free av I've ever used (honest) :)

7. Technodrome

Don't worry about it! ;)

Technodrome

8. Do you remember where you read that? If you could provide a link I would REALLY appreciate that...

Thanks

9. Madsen DK

Hi Straight Shooter.
    Perhaps i misunderstood something in a post on DSL.
    Something on Intuit dropping DRM.
    It was the Turbo tax issue, and somehow i related it to Symantec- doh :rolleyes:
    I guess your right.
    No words from Symantec yet.
    Regards
    Ole

10. No problem...That's what I thought...

I'm one of those who spoke VERY LOUDLY ON THAT ISSUE at DSLR, ..if you remember ...

11. Paul Wilders

Paul Wilders Administrator

Shooter,

as for DRM: this article might be of interest ;).

regards,

paul

12. Tinribs

Tinribs Registered Member

Quote from link : Symantec began offering DRM-enabled, downloadable versions of the English-language Symantec Norton Antivirus software to consumers in January, although customers were not able to choose between the DRM-enabled software and non-DRM versions, according to Del Smith, senior product manager for Norton Antivirus. Smith called the pilot a "test".

:eek: Do I read right that its already in place and has been for months?? :doubt:

13. Paul Wilders

Kev,

Well, it says what is says, doesn't it? ;). In case you are a customer, you might drop them an email...

regards.

paul

14. Are you kidding me? :D LOL!
    Paul, I read that article about a month ago, and it began a crazy series of posts at DSL Reports.... I run 4 personal computers at home, (Me, and I use one other, my father uses a 3rd only as a hobby, to do his home business in, as he is semi retired...)... I got upset at the time with the DRM issue, and I switched to McAfee Internet Security 5.0... for 3 reasons...
    1. No DRM
    2. McAfee IS 5.0 was a completely free upgrade...from NIS 2003, installed on one of my systems...
    3. McAfee has very good unpackers...

I almost dumped McAfee after a 3 week struggle to get it to work right, but in fairness to McAfee, they did provide me with an updated version of their product and now it runs flawlessly.. So Now I am a very happy McAfee camper..
    I also use NOD32 in my other computer, and I run AVK Pro in my father's... Admittedly, AVK Pro makes the whole computer run slowly.. when it comes time to renew, I'll probably switch to EScan or KAV or FSecure.. But that's 10 months away...LOL...I also run GAV exclusively (with the RTM) on an older laptop that constantly breaks down.. and honestly, it runs very well there...

So in finality on this, I am a STRONG Opponent of DRM..It hurt Intuit's sales, and just because of that, I hope Symantec reconsiders their actions and changes their viewpoint on DRM... I understand that Symantec wants to protect their product, but as I said before, my needs and concerns take precedence.. Besides, yes, I have to admit that a screwball like Lisa Chen having 600,000 copies of illegal NAV's isn't going to help the AV industry, but Symantec should remember that she's in jail., and the people who bought the "Stealware" may eventually become paying customers... If someone out there wants free AV software, they can use AVG or Avast...

I don't find the value of free AV software appealing anyway.. I want to support my AV companies of choice.. That way they provide timely def's, and better software... (I hope)

15. Aside from the last post I made, I have a question.. Why hasn't Norton AV ever been reviewed by Wilders? I mean, it's evidently used by a good number of people at Wilders..it's been around forever, and in spite of my personal reason why I stopped using it, it is recognized as a top notch AV.. I mean, you folks review RAV, but not Nortono_O Even McAfee gets a review...

Just wondering...
    :D

16. Madsen DK

I do :D
    Regards
    Ole

17. Paul Wilders

Shooter,

On our "to do list" ;).

regards.

paul

18. msingle

msingle Registered Member

I'm a NAV user of many years and honestly didn't even know about any of the other AV programs like NOD and the other less well known ones until I got a little interested in security issues for some projects. Since then I've tested several others but it's still running as my resident.

Here's my take.

Pros:

Easy to use for the average user.
    New definitions every day.
    Great results in all the AV tests.
    Great support site with tons of information.

Cons:

All the features aren't available to Win2K or XP users like me (emergency repair disk and other things).
    On my slow PC which I'm having to use right now I literally can't do much of anything while it's scanning which is frustrating.

The slowing down of my PC drives me crazy sometimes but I trust it and would recommend it to others depending on their needs.

So I don't think it is overrated but I do think it is attacked, sometimes unjustly, by competitors and their followers.

My two cents.

19. Khaine

Khaine Registered Member

When I said it had a simplistic interface, I wasn't implying that it was a bad AV (I actually use it) I just meant that for people who like to control what each app does on their pc (like me) the interface does not allow it. I think that it would be nice if it was more granular, it allowed the user to control waht it does better. However the GUI is great for people who don't know alot about computers, or those who want a no fuss AV.

I agree that you should not rely on an AV to protect against trojans, however that doesn't mean that noorton should not try and improve its trojan detecting abilities. Frankly if they used added more archive support and better unpacking ability I would be happy

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.