Norton IS 2010 - Resource Hungry

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by coolbuy, Nov 30, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. coolbuy

coolbuy Registered Member

I loved norton till 2004, and i started to hate it for being a resource hog.

But NIS 2009 , i got to say it totally rockss. 4days back i've upgraded to
    NIS 2010, but its a lot heavier than NIS 2009. I have some mem gadget in my desktop. While i was running NIS 2009, it shown total memory consumption at
    340-360MB:) .. Without any antivirus its 220MB:D .. BUT WITH NIS 2010 its 420MB:oops: ..also some startup delay too, say around +7 seconds...

Anyone else experiences the same memory hogging, or is it just meo_O

2. Fajo

Fajo Registered Member

No it runs quite lite. Don't trust your mem gadget, Hit Ctrl + Alt + Del and check the memory the process them self are using when I checked last it was around 15 megs for them all.

3. icr

icr Registered Member

What is your configuration ?
    Did you have any other security products installed before norton ?

4. coolbuy

This is were you got wrong my friend, its a mask. if you want to know the real memory consumption then open taskmanager > Performance tab> CHECK Physical Memory.

(uninstall ur nis & check the amount [Physical Memory], reinstall nis & check the amount[Physical Memory]). Then you'll get it. :)
    I have an Atom 230 running with 1GB ram under XP Pro..

5. Fajo

Fajo Registered Member

Sigh. Are you talking about PAGED memory also ? Or just what is sitting in your ram right now ? Im talking about what NIS PROCESSES USE! not what your memory it self is sitting at.

Edit.

Pulling up NIS on another computer. Ill post a screenshot soon.

6. Fajo

Fajo Registered Member

As far as I can tell its not resources hungry in the least this is a FRESH INSTALL with nothing but Prevx sitting on the computer and Norton I fully updated Norton and rebooted the computer.

First Screenshot! This is before Norton was installed. So you can mark the memory locations.

Before.jpg

This one is AFTER Norton Internet Security is INSTALLED and UPDATED!

Untitled.jpg

Then Here is the process list on the next page.

3.png

7. Fajo

Fajo Registered Member

Btw 30 Megs of that 50 Meg jump was the fact of 2 MS Paint windows Being open. As you can still see MSPaint.exe in the 3rd shot, So all and all 20 Meg climb which is around what I expected. ;)

8. coolbuy

Check the image attached. And yest the process only shows up to 16mb

Attached Files:

• 20.JPG
      20.JPG
      File size:
      83.3 KB
      Views:
  9. EliteKiller

EliteKiller Registered Member

NIS 2010 is far from resource hungry. In fact it's one of the lighter suites on the market.

10. coolbuy

any way i switched back to NIS 2009 :). the above picture was taken when NIS 2009 was running, if it was NIS 2010 i'd be getting available memory = below 5xx

11. Fajo

Fajo Registered Member

Its not lying to you, Its really only using that much. It could be a conflict in your system or something else causing the system to use more resources after Norton 2010 is installed. But as my screenshots show on a normal system it should be no bigger then a 20 meg diff at most. Might be worth looking into.

12. coolbuy

(screenshot while NIS 2009 runnning)
    Buddy Check this image. Its a gadget in VistaRainbar 4.5(for xp).
    I'm using winxp sp3 + dot net 3.5.. nothing else. even in this situation if i install norton 2010 then the Multi-Meter gadget will show RAM usage to 410MB+.

What might be the prob then.. of course the process in taskmanager shows nis 2010 only using around 9Mb when idle and 12-16 mb normally.

Attached Files:

• nis.JPG
      nis.JPG
      File size:
      62.9 KB
      Views:
  13. EliteKiller

EliteKiller Registered Member

I just installed NIS 2010 on an old XP SP3 box w/ XP 2000+ & 2GB ram. The screen capture on the left is before the install and the right is after.

Attached Files:

14. coolbuy

Wow! only 139mb used, well i get around 135mb used using nis 2009, don't know whats the prob with the new version.perhaps some compatibility issues, who knows.any way i don't want the os to increase swapfile when running heavy apps.i'm sticking with 2009ver. For addition of sonar v2 & download insight an increase under 25mb is acceptable.. but 50mb+ RAm way too much..

Thin main thing is that when i use 2010 ver, the mem consumption is around 370MB(total physical memory consumption) when sys is idle and jumps to 410MB+ (total physical memory consumption)when working, say.. browsing and when during start up..

But the nis 2009 during start up takes only 350+-(total physical memory consumption). During browsing with opera the total memory consumption of the system is around 370MB! WOW.

15. icr

icr Registered Member

This might be the reason you have installed windows 7 transformation pack (I guess from screenshot you have posted)
    All those extra stuffs like rainbar,transparent bar,Multi-Meter and so on....
    takes memory thats why it shoots upto 410 MB+

Last edited: Dec 1, 2009
  16. coolbuy

no way buddy, in that case 2009 is running fine.. anyway how is avat 5 IS

17. icr

icr Registered Member

Way too light.
    Windows XP SP3, 1Gb RAM

Attached Files:

18. hamzah95

hamzah95 Registered Member

I have recently tried NIS 2010 as well, its too light, hardly noticeable. Probably a conflict with some other program.

19. eBBox

eBBox Registered Member

Agreed :thumb: NIS 2010 is one of the lightest suites I've been testing (on a lot of different setups and hardware configurations).

20. Technic

Technic Registered Member

@Fajo

1671 versus 1472 memory free. It is almost 200 megs! :argh:

Trust me guys (lol) running processes does not tell anything. AV's and Suites are sucking your memory via svchost.exe's. Please check those and you will find the truth.

I agree that system IMPACT and PERFORMANCE is pretty light.

I have used NIS2010 and my daughter is using NAV2010. I like them.

21. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

Even if you find 2010 to be heavier than 2009, also consider it is better protection than 2009. A fair trade off as far as I am concerned, but since it doesn't slow my machine down in the least, it's a non problem to begin with.

22. Fajo

Fajo Registered Member

I'm Sorry its not NIS eating the resources, this is why looking at the physical memory is so pointless. Superfeatch is already throwing programs into memory I agree some Lag over can go to the other hosts. But once everything settles down it really is not using any memory worth mentioning. Look at the GRAPH bar it will give you more of a idea what is ACTIVE in memory and not sitting there dormant waiting for me to launch that program or be cached out.

23. coolbuy

I Switched to Eset smart security trial for nw..

NORTON IS STILL A RESOURCE HOG, I CAN"T BELIEVE THEY HIDE THEIR MEMORY CONSUMPTION EFFICIENTLY, I M NOT GOING TO BECOME A MORON PRAISING NORTON.. Eset show around 53 mB for ekrn.exe and the truth is it only takes 53Mb, its far lighter than norton.. I cant believe all those reviewers (cnet,pcmag,pcworld) are stupid.. they check the mem shown in the process in the taskman and rate programmes.. Morons!!!!!!!!!!!!

24. markcc

markcc Registered Member

Does it really matter that much?? How does your computer run? How well does it respond the way you use it? Whats the big deal about using a little more ram? I thought we put memory in our computers to USE it. If ram usage is that important to you, don't install any programs.

If the NIS 2010 is slowing down your computer more than 2009 than I understand your complaint, if not I just don't get it!

25. Fajo

Fajo Registered Member

You seriously need to get a grip! Or learn how computers work I leave that choice up to you. :cautious:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.