Norton Internet Security 2013 and Microsoft Office 2010 issues?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by acr1965, Nov 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

I have a subscription to NIS 2013 and am trying to decide whether to put it on 3 computers on a network. The computers all run Windows 7, 64 bit and are wifi connected to a printer as well as connected in the network to each other. Before doing this I would like to know if anyone has come across any conflicts or bugs with NIS 2013 and Office 2010. I have heard rumors that there are problems but nothing I can find that is confirmed. I'd rather know ahead of time than wasting the man hours of trying to fix things later. Thanks.

2. itman

itman Registered Member

Go to the Norton forum and make your own evaluation on whether to install it. Many of the fanboys over there are recommending stick with NIS 2012 untill all the kninks worked out of the 2013 versions.

Appears there are issues primarily with AMD processors but also issues with Intel ones; older versions it appears.

If you decide to install 2013, make a drive/parttion image of your existing setup so you can painlessly restore if need be.

Uninstall your existing Norton AV/NIS version via add/remove programs. It will ask you to reboot to complete uninstall.

Download the Norton removal/clean tool. Warning! Be aware this tool will uninstall/remove/clean traces for all Norton products. If you use anything besides NAV or NIS make sure you have software/media to reinstall. Run removal/clean tool. It will also ask you to reboot if I recollect.

You should be now clean of anything Norton. You can search your HDD for any left over files/folders which should be empty and deleted those if so desired. You should be OK registry wise if I recollect but you can use CCleaner to see if anything Norton/Symanatec wise is still floating around. If you decide to do mamually registry cleaning, make sure you know what your are doing.

You should now be able to install and update NIS 2013 without issue.

Again no guaranties here since each hardware setup is different.

Since NIS 2013 appears to be a signifigant update internally from NIS 2012, I personally would not do an upgrade installation of NIS 2013.

Finally if you decide to use NIS 2012, make sure you change/disable its auto upgrade feature so it doesn't inadvertently update to NIS 2013.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2012
  3. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

ok thanks for the info...I think if I install it will just be for 2012 or I'll wait a while and possibly install 2013 later on

4. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

To Correct. I thought I had installed 2013, but did not, and am still using 2012. Sorry for any confusion.
    Jerry

5. Jibse

Jibse Registered Member

I had NIS 2013 and Office 2010 (intensive usage) with Windows 7 and now with Windows 8 : Never the slightest problem.

6. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

Same here.

7. itman

itman Registered Member

Finally got around to installing NIS 2013 today.

I must say this ver. installer is a set backward from the last couple of vers. I sat there for 5 mins. waiting for updates to complete before install process even began. I wouldn't have complained about that aside from the fact that after installation my first batch of updates were 105MB and included a patch that I assumed was the recent fix to correct startup and shutdown issues. Overall this was the longest install I have had with Norton for a while.

So far, only glitch I have found is that on a couple of web sites, I have been getting this IE9 popup about a script taking to long to execute and offering me the option to terminate it. Never say that before.

Overall and currently, browsing speed with NIS 2013 is faster that with my previous WIN 7 firewall and NAV 2012 setup. That surprised me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.