Norton Internet Security 2010 - Optimzer Function

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by LenC, Nov 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LenC

LenC Registered Member

I've installed product and it seems to be working fine. I have a question about Optimizer. I notice in log it hasn't run in several weeks. I thought it was supposed to run periodically and frequently when the computer is idle. I can't find a place to adjust settings - all I have found is an on/off toggle which is in the "on" position.

Can anyone help me understand why it hasn't run? How frequently should it run?

Is it not running because I have turned off scheduled defrags (Vista Home)?

Thanks for your help.

Len

2. Ade 1

Ade 1 Registered Member

I always turn off 'idle time optimizer' as I use PerfectDisk. It could be that you've turned off Windows defrag scheduler as NIS calls upon that service to run its optimizer (defrag). Perhaps post on the Norton forums?

3. LenC

LenC Registered Member

Yes, I had turned off the windows scheduler. I suppose if I turn it back on, optimizer will kick in. As I think about this, however, maybe I should just leave it off and think about using something like perfectdisk.

Thank you!

4. EliteKiller

EliteKiller Registered Member

Not to derail the thread, but you can save some cash and use Defraggler for free.

5. Edwin024

Edwin024 Registered Member

It's a pitty that Defraggler doesn't work in the background, like the big boys do. Now you have to start the program yourself and in the current way of life that's not cool.

6. EliteKiller

EliteKiller Registered Member

Defraggler has a built-in automatic scheduler.

7. Edwin024

Edwin024 Registered Member

That can be true,but programs like O&O defrag and MST defrag sit on the right in the taskbar and do their work constantly. Works better in my humble opinion.

8. Michael York

Michael York Registered Member

Hi Len,

This is Mike from the Norton Authorized Support Team.

The Optimizer function in Norton Internet Security 2010 uses the Windows Defragment utility to do it's job. To make sure that this feature is enabled follow the steps below.

1. Open NIS 2010 and select the "Settings" link next to Web.

2. Select the "Miscellaneous Settings" tab and make sure that the "Idle Time Optimizer" is set to "On".

3. Make sure that the "Automatic Tasks Delay" is set to 10 minutes or less. Click the "Apply" and then "Ok" buttons at the bottom of the screen.

It may be wise to also disable the scheduled task for the Defrag utility so that your computer is actually Idle. If you change these settings and disable the task in Windows, the Optimizer utility should run. If by chance it still does not run when your computer is idle, you can manually invoke this task by select the "Norton Tasks" link from the main window and then click on the "Optimizer" and the optimization should begin to run.

Thanks,
    Mike

9. ASpace

ASpace Guest

Hello Mr. York!

On a computer running Windows 7 Home Premium , I have disabled the scheduled defragmentation (just like the original poster/starter of this thread) . Will the Norton AV 2010's optimizer still work ?

What about on Windows XP SP3 where there is no scheduled defragmentation ?

Thank you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.