Norton Internet Security 2009 Reactivation Question

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Cloudcroft, Sep 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cloudcroft

Cloudcroft Registered Member

I use IFW/IFD to image my hard drive, and occasionally reinstall an image for various reasons. Since I've had NIS 2009 installed, I've probably reinstalled an image about three times. These are images with NIS 2009 installed, and each time after restarting the computer with the new image, I was prompted to activate NIS. I've installed countless images with NIS 2008, and 2007 before that, and don't remember ever having to activate NIS after installing an image. I've read posts on these forums that indicate Symantec only allows you a certain number of reactivations for NAV and NIS. I'm wondering if this will be the same for NIS 2009, and concerned that if I reinstall enough images if I'll eventually be unable to reactivate NIS 2009.

2. Victek

Victek Registered Member

You could do a live chat with Symantec support to get a definite answer to your question.

3. Cloudcroft

Yeah, I might do that to see if there is a reactivation limit with NIS 2009. I'm wondering if anyone knows what the number of reactivations is with previous versions?

4. Zeena

Zeena Registered Member

Hi :)

Why don't you ask them at the - Norton Forum : http://community.norton.com/norton/

I know your frustration :rolleyes:
    My laptop failed to start properly last night o_O

It ended up with a... Start Up Repair
    And... 2 System Restores
    NIS 09 Went Completely - Belly Up! :eek:
    Leaving me no choice - But to... Uninstall & Reinstall :(

God! I'm Fed Up With This Flamin Laptop :'(

5. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

as long as you are reactivating it on the same computer there is no problem. I have already reinstalled NIS 2009 six times when I have tried other AV's. I must of had NIS 2008 reinstalled at least thirty times and as long as it is on the same comp there is no problem.

6. Cloudcroft

Bigc, thanks for that information.

7. MFriend

MFriend Registered Member

Hi Cloudcroft:

I've installed NIS09 on the 3 allowed computers with no problem. On my computer I've installed it (on the same physical computer) in both XP and VISTA and made images of both several times (maybe activated it 5 or 6 times on my computer alone with no problems).

Those were 'fresh' installs. I also have rolled back images several times and never had to reactivate NIS09. What imaging software are you using? I use Shadowprotect. It must copy exactly what ever NIS09 looks for because I have never had to reactivate it (for example I installed NIS09 in an XP image, and have rolled back this image 7 or 8 times and never had to reactivate).

Matthew

8. bigc73542

Yep you shouldn't have any problems at all. If you ever do just contact Symantec support they are miles better than they used to be.

9. bigc73542

NIS 2009 stores the activation code on your computer so it recognizes it on reinstall.

10. Cloudcroft

Matthew, I image with IFW, and restore with IFD. When the computer restarts after restoring an image, I get a message telling me I need to activate NIS. This has never occurred with previous versions of NIS installed. I've always assumed this was because I was installing an image with NIS already activated. As you mentioned, if the image is an exact copy of an activated copy of NIS 2009, what's causing the need to reactivate? Maybe it's something peculiar to my system, or to IFW/IFD.

11. Cloudcroft

It's never asked me to put in the key, I just have to click on a big "Activate" button on the message window I get after the computer restarts.

12. cortez

cortez Registered Member

I multiboot NIS on 9 partitions with no problem at all.

Before installing NIS earlier this year I chatted with them to ask if there will be a problem activating multiple instances and they said that as long as it is on the same machine there should be no problem and they were right.

So it seems that multibooters should be capable of activation without problems (this implies that single OS users should be able to reactivate without any problems as posted by bigc73542).

The one thing I do is reactivate using only one computer name for all partitions ( the name I supplied and used by them for verification). They just request to activate after installation and no key was requested .

I get my NIS from my DSL internet provider.

I think they use a Microsoft type "hash" of some sort and compare their database to check it is the same name per machine.

13. Longboard

Longboard Registered Member

@Cloudcroft..
    That is interesting... the IFW restore, reactivation issue...

How about a post at IFW support re this issue and the image recovery.
    Heh: bet David would likely take it as a personal challenge: Symantec hiding something from Terabyte...

14. Cloudcroft

If you think Terabyte would be interested in this, I may do that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.