Norton Internet Security 2008, will it suit my needs?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by vpicbm, Nov 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vpicbm

vpicbm Registered Member

I'm looking for a security suite for my computers and I heard some good stuff about NIS 2008 but since there is no trial version I'm not yet sure if I should buy it or not.

Here's what I'm looking for in a security suite:

- good protection (of course...)
    - light on resources
    - not too many pop-ups
    - Vista support

I'm particulary interested in the performance of NIS 2008. I know Norton used to be a huge resource hog, but they claim to have improved in that regard. How does it fare compared to other securit suites?

Is it true that NIS installs a anti-phishing toolbar in firefox that can't be removed? Are there any other disadvantages I should know of?

I considered also these other security suites:

Kaspersky IS 7

+ good firewall
    + excellent anti-virus
    - somewhat heavy on the resources
    - many people seem to have various software problems

Windows Live One Care

+ light on resources
    - bad protection
    - feels sort of unfinished

ESET Smart Security

+ Nod32 has a great reputation
    + (I assume) light on resources
    - It's new and might have some early bugs
    - No reviews out yet
    - Expensive

Do you think NIS 2008 is right for me or should I consider another security suite? What would you recommend?

PS: I know people hate those "What should I buy" threads, but because there is no trial version of NIS 2008 I had no choice but to ask. Sorry ;)

2. Sjoeii

Sjoeii Registered Member

There will always be issues will different products.
    Norton 2008 will suits you right. Protection is ok.
    KIS 7 is great protection which is low on resources and has great protection.

Why not test them. All of the products you mentioned have trials

3. ink

ink Registered Member

4. midway40

midway40 Registered Member

That link ink provided has the trial download (I think it is 15 days). I guarantee you that you will see very little popups with NIS. It protects your computer quietly :ninja:

5. Diver

Diver Registered Member

KIS has some issues with creating extended file attributes. The symptom is chkdsk does not function properly.

I would skip One Care, the product is just not mature.

If Nod32 is your flavor of the month, I would just get the AV and run one of the better free firewalls like Comodo 2.4 or Online Armor Free. Yeah, Nod32 is on the expensive side.

Finally, there are all sorts of deals on NIS 2008. Usually about $20 from Fry's after rebate, and free if you paid for NIS 2007.

6. Bunkhouse Buck

Bunkhouse Buck Registered Member

My advice outside of the programs you mentioned, is to try the Avira Suite. I have found it to run even lighter on several computers than the new Eset Security Suite- which still has some bugs to be worked out. Proctection is as good or better than NOD32 or Kaspersky, but you will get some false positives from time to time.

Norton is ok, but does a lot behind the scenes you may not want.

7. vpicbm

vpicbm Registered Member

Which one is lighter on the resources, KIS or NIS? I had the trial version of KIS 7 installed for a while and I thought it slowed the computer down a little bit, especially when watching streaming videos on the internet like quicktime.

I didn't know there was a trial version. Thanks for the link!!

I was actually talking about the new security suite by ESET that got released yesterday. By the way, I already had the Comodo firewall installed for while and I'm sure it did a good job protecting me, but there were waaaaaay too many pop-ups.

I had the Avira free antivirus installed a year ago and it was actually quite nice. I'm under the impression that the security suite causes some problems for some people.

8. dNor

dNor Registered Member

Software will always cause some problem for some people. :D

I would recommend trialing Avira's suite to see if you like it, along with the others. Find one that fits your needs - asking for advice is only one step, as what works for one person might not work for you or your machine, so hands-on testing is the only way to be positive.

9. vpicbm

vpicbm Registered Member

True, but I heard that a disproportional amount of people are reporting problems with Avira. Also I'm a bit reluctant to install one security suite after another, since some of them might screw up my system.

Is it true that NIS doesn't uninstall completely and that you have to use a clean-uninstall tool?

I'm always kinda worried about software leaving too much trash behind...

10. dNor

dNor Registered Member

People are having issues with KIS7 and CHKDSK, too. There's bound to be, which is why narrowing down your choices with research and asking for advice and then trialing is a good idea.

A trial that screws up your system is a much better situation then buying a license and having it screw up your system. Take all necessary precautions, including backups.

Most Symantec installations do, NIS included.

I understand your wariness to try software, but there's only so much recommendations can provide. :doubt:

Last edited: Nov 6, 2007
  11. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

im running avira suite here with 0 issues, nothing at all..

12. Bunkhouse Buck

We test software in several of my firms, and we have had zero (0) issues with the Avira Suite. We do have issues with the Eset Suite (email problems with Outlook Express-go to forum for that and other issues). Kaspersky has CHKDSK isssues and we will not use it, and Symantec leaves behind traces that need to be manually removed even after using the Norton Removal Tool and CC Cleaner.

13. larryb52

larryb52 Registered Member

I'd say take a look as Nod's Suite & than Kaspersky on the vista Nod runs very light & seemlessly. My games run clean & I have not not had to create exceptions for them...

14. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

I installed the 90 day trial posted in this thread it is 90 day trial not 15. I really never have problems with software, some just works better than others. But NIS 2008 is really crap, At least on my comp. Took at least seven minutes to boot to usable state as compaired to less than two with McAfee. Caused several of the forums I use to not open right or function properly. live update locked up everytime I tried it. I uninstalled it and cleaned the registry manually and reinstalled McAfee and all is right again. I used to like Norton but My association with them is severed after this ordeal. I would have expected a better product even from a Beta much less a final release.

bigc

15. Bunkhouse Buck

NIS 2008 did not work properly on several of our machines in terms of LiveUpdate not working at all. Had to uninstall LU, and then install an earlier version to get the program to update. That is absurd and others have had the same problem-many others. LiveUpdate has been problematic for many years, and Symantec cannot get it right with all the resources they have. We unistalled it (and don't try 360-it was even worse). Not yet ready for prime time or any time.

16. Banshee

Banshee Registered Member

I trialed it for almost 2 weeks.Worked fine and was smooth as silk.No bootup delays whatsoever.

If it works on your machine it would be a good choice imo.

17. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

i would stay clear of nod32's suite, its too expensive as you rightly said so.

you could probably get a nice deal from a reputable power seller on ebay for Norton Internet Security, so i would suggest you do that.

18. larryb52

I think nod is priced fairly, I upgraded from 1 license to 2 for 47 dollars, that's not bad...& that's for the suite...

19. larryb52

I should be able to convert that but I'm tired<g>...but I see your point I guess but it is Nod, should of put Kaspersky in there as well as Norton get a good overall view of the major players...

20. vpicbm

vpicbm Registered Member

If this is really the case then I'm definitely not gonna install NIS on my computer. Why can't they write a proper uninstall routine?

21. dNor

dNor Registered Member

It definiately is. This link has been invaluable in uninstalling some Symantec products off of some of our workstations because of either left behind traces or malfunctioning uninstallers.

Here's the NRT.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2007
  22. Macstorm

Macstorm Registered Member

wow reading the same horror stories about norton again. Luckily i never tried it. :cool:

23. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

changed my post, so i will re-add it.

(1yr / 1pc)

Suites

Nod32 SS: £38.29
    Avira IS: £31.35
    AVG IS: £25.38
    Bitdefender IS: £20.49

even more expensive than Gdata

Gdata IS: £37.63

-------
    Antivirus

Drweb AV: £15.23 (migrate - £7.67)
    Nod32 AV: £25.52
    Avira Premium: £17.40
    AVG Anti-malware: £16.26 (£21.54 for 2 years)
    Bitdefender AV: £12.95
    Gdata AV: £25.07
    F-Prot AV: £9.55 (5 Users)

convert to your currency <HERE>

24. PcBorg

PcBorg Registered Member

I am running it on my pc and my wife's laptop and it is running well. I have had no serious issues with it and I am in fact quite happy with it...

I have used kaspersky, avira and f-secure before...

Kaspersky ran very well for me... but the firewall was a tad irritating when i wanted to run certain programs... but otherwise it was a tank.

NIS20008 is a good choice I think for people not geeky with security software... and that makes it perfect for my wife...

The firewall is certainly comfortable to use also.

25. dNor

dNor Registered Member

I very much agree. Symantec software, in my experience, is excellent for the non-technical user. Just as long as their subscription stays and their software is up to date.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.