Norton Internet Security 2008 15.5.0.23

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by tsilo, Mar 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tsilo

tsilo Registered Member

I noticed there is a new version of NIS 2008. Who knows whats changed?

2. Bunkhouse Buck

Bunkhouse Buck Registered Member

I don't know, but after hundreds of hours of testing, I have concluded that it works best on my system, is light, offers good protection, and has a very fast scanner.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2008
  3. larryb52

larryb52 Registered Member

I like it, I'm running it know, just got tired of programs that are releasing new version that seem more beta like. People like to knock Noorton but it is consistent & gives good detection & the last 2 years it has been light. People dismiss it to easily...

4. Bunkhouse Buck

Agreed.

5. TaInTeD_SnIpEr

TaInTeD_SnIpEr Registered Member

Indeed.

6. JimGoo

JimGoo Guest

Alas, the new version is on and off. Even when everything was a green "go," the program kept telling me that my antispyware (one pop-up window) and antivirus (another pop-up window) were out of date. I used both the "live" and the "intelligent" updaters numerous times, and while the program said all was well, the pop-up warning windows persisted after 7 separate reboots.

Oh well, NIS 2008 did run quite light on my system, but these type of small errors become tedious, especially when they potentially effect the program's protection-notification integrity.

Regards,
    Jim

7. larryb52

you needed to run the live support window in the GUI, I had that but they helped fixed it, was a registry error...

8. tsilo

tsilo Registered Member

But... no one can say whats changed in version 15.5 comparing 15.0 ?

9. kinwolf

kinwolf Registered Member

NIS 2008 is installed on GF computer, does the new version install itself through liveupdate or do you need to download a new installation exe like Kaspersky?

10. JimGoo

JimGoo Guest

Thanks, larryb52. I'll give it a try.

Regards,
    Jim

11. Edwin024

Edwin024 Registered Member

I would like to know this too. Alas Symantec is quite tight-lipped about their products. They never tell what version they are on. Norton Antibot is updated by itself, hopefully the same goes for NIS.

12. Bunkhouse Buck

Unfortunately, I had some problems with NIS2008 over the past few hours. It was not acting well with some sites and the frames were off on some sites as well. I uninstalled it. I may try it again if a new version is released.

13. JimGoo

JimGoo Guest

Hello,

I reinstalled NIS 2008 from a disc and I did not experience the errors with the pop-up boxes as I did before.

Also, when I checked under "Help and Support" I found that the version installed is 15.5.0.23

So, I think mine installed through Live Update, since the disc is 50 days old.

Regards,
    Jim

14. TaInTeD_SnIpEr

I would like to know this as well, Norton 360 2.0 over here. Hopefully the update will soon be applied to N360, if it does come through LiveUpdate.

15. larryb52

new version may not be for 360, the update may already be built in...

16. TaInTeD_SnIpEr

Ah, never did think of that. I guess we'll see.

17. Pleonasm

Pleonasm Registered Member

[1] How is the upgrade to version 15.5.0.23 of Norton Internet Security 2008 obtained? LiveUpdate for NIS08 15.0.0.60 does not present an option to download the new version.

[2] Is it advisable to run the Norton Removal Tool before before installing version 15.5.0.23?

Thank you for your assistance.

18. larryb52

it should come via updates only way that I'm aware that Symantec does upgrades...just run live update it should install the files for that...

19. ZAEN

ZAEN Infrequent Poster

Correct.
    As a matter of fact, the updates were tested during Norton360 v2 beta

20. Pleonasm

Pleonasm Registered Member

Larryb52 and Zaen, thank you for clarifying that version 15.5.0.23 of Norton Internet Security 2008 is provided through LiveUpdate rather than obtained through a manual download. However, I am running NIS08 15.0.0.60 on Windows Vista Business SP1, and LiveUpdate does not provide the upgrade to version 15.5.0.23 in my case.

Question: For those who have received the update to version 15.5.0.23 of NIS08 through LiveUpdate, are you running Windows XP or Windows Vista? Could it be the case that at this time Symantec has released version 15.5.0.23 of NIS08 only for Windows XP?

Thanks for the assistance.

21. kinwolf

kinwolf Registered Member

Indeed, I am in the same boat, NIS 2008 is installed on a Vista computer and no new version through liveupdate yet.

22. Zombini

Zombini Registered Member

I am pretty sure this is NOT a liveupdate. You have to download it manually from the Symantec site. 15.5 contains a major bug fixes etc that were reported from the field. If you are having issues with your existing NIS install I would recommend to install this one. If not, then pass on it.

23. larryb52

my version updated but I was amiss in the version #, I have no idea where people got that version. I retried a fresh download & install from their website but it's still not that version mentioned. If someone downloaded it what site were you at?

24. JimGoo

JimGoo Guest

When I was re-installing from a NIS 2008 CD, it asked if I wanted to download and install the latest files before beginning the installation process. I guess I'm glad I said "OK" to the choice.

Regards,
    Jim

PS: I'm positive the NIS 2008 version on the Cd is weeks old, since I bought it almost 2 months ago.

Regards,
    Jim

25. larryb52

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.