Norton Hotspot Privacy

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by malexous, Oct 16, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. malexous

malexous Registered Member

http://www.symantec.com/about/news/release/article.jsp?prid=20121009_03
    https://hotspot.norton.com/

2. EncryptedBytes

EncryptedBytes Registered Member

By wireless AP's very nature it depends on things not being "invisible", while you can protect the transmissions over the WLAN, you can not keep someone from seeing your machine and its encrypted traffic. I tried to look into the claims, but could not find low level documentation from Norton. Ontop of that most of those bullets can be summed up within the first one. Not sure what protection this would offer you than a simple VPN or SSH tunnel for the cost? Not nitpicking, just trying to clear up some of the marketing spin.

3. Victek

Victek Registered Member

Agreed. It looks like a VPN. The reference to "invisibility" is a little poetic license :cautious: $50/year for up to five devices with unlimited bandwidth is fair if the performance is good. No Android support yet. It would be nice to know when that's coming.

4. encus

encus Registered Member

5. Victek

Victek Registered Member

6. Victek

Victek Registered Member

7. Victek

Victek Registered Member

8. LockBox

LockBox Registered Member

I call a VPN like this from Norton a "Coffee Shop VPN' not to be confused with a VPN used for serious pseudo-anonymity. With that said, this might be the best of the Coffee Shop variety. The $19.99 a month is a bad deal. The $49.99 a year is an incredible deal. The $2.99 "day pass" is perfect for every now and then use.

I like this VPN for what it is. Nice software package, reliable name, good speeds. Can't go wrong for this 'class' of VPN.

9. Victek

Victek Registered Member

Yes, "coffee shop VPN" is a good description :) and the yearly sub for up to five devices is great. There's no trial but the day pass is an affordable way to test drive it. I'm looking forward to trying it on my phone when they add android support.

10. There you go. Uh Huh!

11. Victek

Victek Registered Member

I assume your point is because they keep logs they are worthless, but there are many people (myself included) that aren't looking for perfect anonymity, just the significant protection of an encrypted connection over public wifi.

12. Yeah I know, it's a good service for those in coffee shops.

13. tooth

tooth Registered Member

Yeah I certainly wouldn't be doing any funny business on a VPN by them...I personally don't care for any of their products anyway.

14. encus

encus Registered Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.