Norton GoBack question (have searched forum)

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by MarieBoyer, Jul 17, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MarieBoyer

MarieBoyer Registered Member

I have been reading about Acronis and want to purchase it. I have it saved on my Newegg wish list. But I was reading about incompatibilities with Norton GoBack. I came to this forum and did a search. Found out more about the incompatibilities. Then I went to my Norton Systemworks (which I bought before I ever knew anything about security) and discovered that I have not yet installed Norton GoBack (it prompted me to "install now" when I checked).

Based on what I have read on this forum, I have concluded two things:
    (1) if I never install Norton GoBack, I need not worry about Acronis incompatibility, right? (Even though "GoBack" tab is sitting there on my Systemworks screen.)

(2) I am better off with Acronis than GoBack anyway. GoBack is like a "system restore"?

Your expertise is much appreciated, as always!

2. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

What isn't installed won't conflict, so you are correct. Although some people love GoBack, the fact that all the restores are on the same hard drive means you have no protection if the system won't boot due to a lost boot sector, or failed hard drive. On that basis, I much prefer TrueImage.

3. wildwest

wildwest Guest

You could always uninstall GoBack if it was installed. But if it isn't installed it could not conflict with anything.

I can't understand why GoBack can't be made to be compatible with Imaging programs like Symantec's own Ghost or Acronis. Programs like GoBack are just so convenient to have, and are usually very quick at restoring your drive.

Goback will load before Windows does though, and right after the bios screen, so if you did have some kind of problem and Windows wouldn't start you can still restore your drive back to a eariler safe point.

GoBack is like System Restore on steroids. It is far more powerful than system restore because it will restore everything back to a previous state, and wipe out any problems like viruses, spyware, rootkits, and any mistakes you may have made. Try that with System Restore. ;)

The only problem with GoBack is that it is stored on a seperate partition on your hard drive, and if that drive should fail you'll lose everything. What would be nice is if you could make backups of your GoBack revert times and store them on a cd, dvd or external hard drive, then GoBack would be the best of both worlds imo.

From what I've heard RestoreIT does allow you to do this, so you may want to look into it if you want the ease and convience of a GoBack like program, but still want a way to store your images from a seperate form of media for that possible, though rather rare chance, that your HD may fail.

4. Kapiti

Kapiti Registered Member

I’ve been using Trueimage since version 6 and have always had GoBack installed at the same time without any problems. I create and check Trueimage while GoBack is running, the only time I disable GoBack is when restoring using Trueimage.
    One of the main reasons I stopped using Ghost and installed TrueImage was the ability to use both programmes concurrently.

5. wildwest

wildwest Guest

Really Kapiti, that's good news I thought they were incompatible at least that's what I've always heard from others. I may look into using True Image myself if they can be used together. Thanks for posting about their compatibility. I though you had to stop GoBack before making an image though as well.

6. Kapiti

Kapiti Registered Member

From the Acronis Web site FAQ.

Is Acronis True Image 8.0 compatible with Norton GoBack?
    Acronis True Image 8.0 is compatible with Norton GoBack, but for specific Acronis functions, you will need to disable Norton GoBack:

If you start Acronis True Image 8.0 from the bootable rescue media.
    If you want to restore an image archive.
    If you want to create, resize or delete the Acronis Secure Zone.
    Please note that after restoring an image archive, the history of Norton GoBack stored on the target hard drive is automatically lost.

7. starfish_001

starfish_001 Registered Member

I've been using then together for a while with no major probs

The contraints seem logical to me
    "
    Acronis True Image 8.0 is compatible with Norton GoBack, but for specific Acronis functions, you will need to disable Norton GoBack:

If you start Acronis True Image 8.0 from the bootable rescue media.
    If you want to restore an image archive.
    If you want to create, resize or delete the Acronis Secure Zone."

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.