Norton GoBack issues in Bart PE and Acronis bootable discs

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by leoliver, Jan 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. leoliver

leoliver Registered Member

When I try to use True Image 10 restore from a Bart PE disc, or a Acronis bootable disc, I recieve the following error message :
    " E000101F4: Acronis True Image Home has detected unsupported hard disk drives. Acronis True Image Home does not support Windows dynamic disks,E-Z drives ,etc."
    I had Norton Goback enabled when I attempted to restore from Bart PE and a Acronis bootable disc, when I recieved the error message. And after looking over some FAQs on the Acronis webpage, I suspect that having "GoBack" enabled, produced the error message from Acronis.
    In Bart PE, I was able to disregard the error message and at least start a Restore operation that was only partially sucessfull. But when I restarted Windows, it triggered a "chkdsc" scan which found some bad sector errors. The errors were repaired by "chkdsc" but I don't think I will attempt that course of action again! It could have damaged my hard drive.
    I wonder if there are any ways I could disable Norton Goback, within the Bart PE enviroment ( or get around GoBack), or in safe-boot mode.
    Your feed back will be welcome.

2. mustang

mustang Developer

Hi Larry,

Glad to hear you figured out the mysterious dynamic disk issue. I'm not aware of any Norton Go Back BartPE plugins. I don't know of any methods of disabling it from BartPE either. If I were you, I'd uninstall it. The reason we use TI is so we will have a full system restore not just a partial restore. Many people also disable Microsoft's System Restore to save disk space.

3. leoliver

Mustang,
    I just confirmed that Norton GoBack was indeed the source of the error message. I disabled "GoBack" and opened up TI 10 on both a bootable resuce media disc and Bart PE disc. And I recieved no error messages of any kind.
    On the Acronis TI 10 FAQ website, they have this statement about Norton GoBack : "I have Norton GoBack installed. Can I use Acronis True Image 10 Home??
    The thing is that Norton GoBack modifies the existing partitions' type (FAT16, FAT32, NTFS, etc.) into its own format, making them incompatible with the existing partitioning/imaging software while GoBack is active. This way Norton GoBack prohibits other applications from changing the partition table. So, for specific Acronis True Image 10 Home functions you will need to disable Norton GoBack first:

If you want to use the standalone version of Acronis True Image 10 Home
    If you want to restore a disk/partition from a backup
    If you want to manage (create, resize or delete) Acronis Secure Zone
    NOTE: When you disable Norton GoBack, you will lose all backup history for the changed/restored partition and will not be able to undo the changes."

Appartently, a bootable Bart PE disc is also a standalone version of TI 10.
    And, for futher info, after I disabled Norton GoBack, and booted to Bart PE, my harddrive disc letters were correct. In Windows my hard drive is "C:" and with GoBack disabled it reads "C:" in Bart PE also. With GoBack enabled, my harddrive read "F:" in Bart PE. Which created a problem if I was going to restore a back-up to the orginal location. Maybe, the GoBack issues arise from the GoBack driver that GoBack installs on my harddrive.

4. mustang

mustang Developer

Hi Larry,

Good post. There's alot of good information that will help people.

Here's my thought. Disabling GoBack before running TI is all well and good. But, what if your Windows becomes corrupted and won't boot. Is there a GoBack boot CD you can use to disable it before running a TI system restore?

5. leoliver

Hey Mustang,

I found this webpage, on the Symantec web-site :
    http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/goback.nsf/0/a8629fb46135692188256d1f0062a50e?OpenDocument&seg=hm&lg=en&ct=us
    The web-page is entitled : "How to use GoBack 3.x with drive imaging, duplication, and backup software"
    It concerns a GoBack screen that appears, after I boot my computer and before Windows starts, where GoBack can be disabled before using Imaging software. It talks about then booting from a floppy, but I will soon test it and see if I can boot from a CD also, at the GoBack screen. I'll post my test results too.
    Appartenly, Acronis software isn't the only imaging software that has issues with Norton GoBack.

6. lakeman

lakeman Registered Member

Thanks to all for this thread. I recently installed True Image. I was unable to run a test restore of my hard drive until I read this thread. After disabling GoBack, restoration worked as it should. :)

7. leoliver

Hi Mustang,

There is a Norton GoBack, " Norton GoBack boot screen", that appears on a computer ( that has Goback enabled ) , just before Windows starts. It gives the option of disabling Goback, or booting from a floppy or cd that has GoBack drivers installed. I would choose the disable Goback option, before booting to Bart PE or a TI 10 recovery disc. Because I don't have Goback drivers on either of my bootable discs, and I don't know how compatiable they would be with either Bart PE or TI 10.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.