norton ghost 2003?

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by lodore, Mar 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lodore

lodore Registered Member

hello,
    i thought i would try out norton ghost 2003 on my old pc since I use it on my course at college and it doesnt seem bloated.
    the cd boots in to pc dos and gives four options
    1. no extra driver support
    2. dvd and cd rom drive support
    3. mouse driver support
    4. usb and firewire support

something like that.
    so i scroll down to mouse driver support and press enter.
    it loads the drivers and says mouse drive working
    but then goes back to the A prompt and doesn't load the norton recovery splash screen
    any ideas why it doesn't?
    so i installed norton ghost 2003 on the pc with (Windows ME installed)
    i get a floopy disc and create a disc following the steps i format the disc and it copies the files over. i try to boot from that disc but says invalid disc or not a system disc. press enter to try again or take out disc and press enter to load windows.
    i then wanted to create a small image only basic windows ME around 1GB but i only had one partition. so i loaded mandriva linux live cd and made the partistion smaller and created a 10gb D partition.
    i created the ghost image on to the d partition operation successful.
    now i still want to know why it wont load the Norton ghost recovery environment
    any ideas?
    i just want to load the Norton recovery environment from the cd or even another floopy disc if needed to and then test restoring that image.
    also its odd that i cant get the acronis true image recovery environment from bootable cd to load on that pc eiether not even a blink from that drive before it loads windows
    thanks in advance
    lodore

2. Ice_Czar

Ice_Czar Registered Member

3. lodore

lodore Registered Member

thanks for the links ICE
    has anyone tried Norton ghost 12 beta?
    i know that norton ghost 10 did put quite alot of stuff in to autostart.
    did they start from scratch with this one? or did they just rejig ghost 10?
    from reading the link it seems like im lucky i have norton ghost 2003 instead of norton ghost 10 since it boots in to dos to create the images.
    i know that acronis can create images in dos but ive never really wanted to, mainly because the GUI is normally not as good in dos mode.
    thats why the other day i found paragon which has almost the same GUI from booting from the cd to create images. which means its alot easier to navigate.
    the original questions still apply as well as these

i found this message on the link ICE gave me
    "For Ghost 2003, MS-DOS must be supplied via a Win98 boot disk. WinME isn't accepted. I'm not sure why, but it refused my WinME startup disk. Can't recall the exact message, but something was invalid. I popped in a Win98 startup disk and it was accepted. This only applies to Ghost 2003. The previous version I used, Ghost 2001, accepted the WinME startup disk without complaint"

i created the disc in windows ME and had the same invalid message when trying to boot from it.
    i will use the commands found on the website to boot from the cd in to the norton ghost recovery place
    lodore

Last edited: Mar 8, 2007
  4. lodore

lodore Registered Member

i put the image on to my usb pen G:
    loaded the usb 1.1 drivers the usb pen was detected fine.
    it started to put windows ME on to the c: drive from the G: usb pen but had an error and failed.
    i thought ghost 2003 was rock solid?
    i still have the image on the D: partition on the internal drive
    so i will have to reinstall windows ME manual over the weekend.
    it was only for testing software anyway so not much lost except confidence in norton ghost 2003
    lodore

5. Ice_Czar

Ice_Czar Registered Member

personally Id reconsider assigning blame too quickly whenever working with compounded variables, keep in mind that in 2001\2002 USB drives were not very widespread (at least in sizes to image partitions)

I wouldnt toss the baby out with the bathwater, I like the older imaging\cloning aps before all this "from inside the OS" convenience. Especially when you factor in the advanced switches (of course that's mostly Symantec Ghost, not Norton Ghost)

It might not be the ap for USB you want, but then it might also be exactly what you want for other uses.
    Id research USB issues over at Radified, might just need a different driver.

6. lodore

lodore Registered Member

i might need to update Norton ghost and create a newer bootable disc or floopy disc.
    i used the stuff right off the disc.
    and your right USB wasnt used that much back then
    i got the files for the floppy disc from the link you gave me i formated a floppy disc and put the files on it as instructed but i put the disc in the drive and tried to boot from it but it came up with an error not a valid system disc press enter to try again or take out and press enter to load from another device.
    i dont know what is up with that message.
    also i am warming to imaging outside of windows.
    i didnt have any choose but to use the usb pen to put the image on.
    i put the image on the D: partition and tryed to get it to use it but wouldnt let me because its on the same disc as i wanted to put it on to.

i wanted to test out ghost 2003 since im building my own pc soon and want to create an image once ive set it up so i get a fresh image to return to if it gets messed up.
    i will put my data on a second partition.
    if i can get norton ghost 2003 working i will probably use it on the pc im gonna build to create my images for me.
    if not i will buy paragon for £25
    the C: drive on my main pc is 60gb atm with 4 users for over 2 years worth of usage.
    my profile is 5gb and out of that 5gb 2gb is my documents and 700mb of that 2gb my documents is the sims files that i dont play to often
    lodore

Last edited: Mar 8, 2007
  7. lodore

lodore Registered Member

an update on norton ghost 2003.
    its earning my trust quite fast.
    after it didnt restore the image from the usb pen i formatted the c drive and reinstalled windows ME then i installed norton ghost 2003 and browsed the image that made earlier (but wouldnt restore from the usb stick probably wrong driver)
    then i restored all the installer files from my documents from the image.
    then i shutdown the pc and booted from mandriva Linux live CD
    i added another fat32 partition 10gb
    i then booted back in to windows and tryed out the clone wizard in norton ghost 2003 i told it to clone the c: partition to the E: partition then it rebooted to the dos mode and done the cloning. the operation was a success and now C: and E: are both windows ME.
    how do i test that E: works?
    its on the same drive
    if i format the c: partition will it then load from the E: partition or will i need to change the bootlog?
    i done a check on the image and it is fine.
    i bet if i had a second drive that image would restore 100percent successful but ive only got one drive.
    also ive created a boot floopy disc that works.
    i want to learn how to create a bootable cd for Norton ghost 2003 thou because the floopy disc is way to slow

lodore

Last edited: Mar 10, 2007
  8. Howard Kaikow

Howard Kaikow Registered Member

I Bused to use bot hAcroinus True Image 10 and Ghost 10.
    I stopped using Ghost 10 on 3 Nov 2006.

In recent months, I was getting an increasing number of ccapp.exe and symslsvc(errors). These starrted after some update last year.

So on 19 Feb 2007, even tho I had 6 months left in my NAV 2006 subscription, I uninstall NAV, Ghost and LU. I installed KAV 6.

Since then system response and resource utilization is markedly improve, the Norton Protection Center is gone(!) and some bugs that appeared to affect bot hTI and Ghost disappeared after uninstalling Ghost (this demonstrated that Ghost 10 and TI 9 needlessly do not play nice with regard to mounting/dismounting volumes).

9. lodore

lodore Registered Member

ghost 10 sucks because it only does hot imaging in windows.
    norton ghost 2003 does imaging in dos mode outside windows
    i might just buy shadow protect desktop and done with it.
    lodore

10. HAN

HAN Registered Member

I've got a copy or 2 of Ghost 2003 and never use them. I found Image for DOS to be far more to my liking. And after buying and running ShadowProtect today, I don't see my use of Image for DOS happening much in the future. For no other reason, it cuts down the time to do a full image in less than half the time. (I may still do an IFD image to DVD here and there since it supports DVD burning natively. SP does not.)

11. lodore

lodore Registered Member

i might just buy shadow protect desktop since it will save me alot of time since its so fast at creating images.
    plus if i wanted the lastest norton ghost .exe i will have to install live update which i hate.
    lodore

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.