Norton Everywhere

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Pleonasm, May 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pleonasm

Pleonasm Registered Member

A new announcement from Symantec...

2. Ibrad

Ibrad Registered Member

Well I did not expect that :eek:

3. sg09

sg09 Registered Member

Waiting for Norton DNS..:)

4. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

hm.... im not liking the idea of the Norton DNS personally, it seems ther almost starting to go the way of Comodo and stretch out into everything they can, bad move IMO as u can see in the automotive industry, spreading urself out too thin isn't always the best idea (look at the old GM for that)

5. vojta

vojta Registered Member

Comodo?. Lol:

Founded in April 1982
    FY09 Revenue: $6.2 billion* (ended April 3, 2009)
    Consumer Revenue: $1.8 billion
    419 on Fortune 500 list
    Enterprise Revenue: $4.4 billion
    More than 17,500 employees worldwide

http://www.symantec.com/about/profile/business.jsp

6. firzen771

i didn't say anything about a companies revenue or anything of the sort, i related to the idea of expanding beyond what you need which can sometimes end badly, thats why i used the reference i did.

7. andyman35

andyman35 Registered Member

I broadly agree with Firzen771 in that companies trying to be a 'jack of all trades' often end up the master of none.However if anyone can pull off a dns,etc Symantec should have the resources to do so.it'll be interesting to see how this plays out.

8. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Symantec DNS is probably the most interesting out of all...

9. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

I'd use Symantec's DNS service over OpenDNS if:

1. Perhaps the most important, the privacy policy is strong.
    2. It's actually faster then OpenDNS
    3. It doesn't hijack non-existent pages like OpenDNS. (very annoying)

I'll pass when it comes to installing any Symantec software, thankfully DNS doesn't need anything installed. So this would be the only service from the above I'd consider.

10. SIR****TMG

SIR****TMG Registered Member

Time will tell

11. firzen771

how exactly could that POSSIBLY be annoying?... u said it urself, NON-EXISTENT pages, opendns simply sends u to its own little page with search results (of course some sponsored results as well, but thats what u get with a free service and can hardly be complained about)

if ther was no site to reach in the first place, how can it be annoying that opendns inputs a search page of its own? i dont get it... its not like opendns redirects u from a REAL working site to its own, no, it happens when what ur typed in does not exist lol.

it seems people just find things to complain about for the sake of complaining these days.

12. elapsed

Many people hate DNS hijacking, I'm one of them. I want an error, not a page full of ads. Just because you don't agree with that doesn't make it ridiculous.

13. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

On the other hand, some people who use the OpenDNS service don't see the ads because of ad-blocking techniques in place so all they get is search results.

It'd be interesting to see if Norton DNS offers an error page or what they consider to be 'relevant' search results.

14. firzen771

it does make it rediculous, its nitpicking the little things, its a free service and ur complaining because they try to support their service with a page that isnt any worse than no page at all, u just close the page right after anyways so i see no downside

15. Einsturzende

Einsturzende Registered Member

Comodo DNS service do not have ad redirection... but complaining about "their" ask toolbar is not for sake of complaining altho CIS is free?

16. quanzi_1507

quanzi_1507 Registered Member

Norton DNS is out :D

http://www.nortondns.com/

Note: non-existent pages redirect to Norton Safe Search (powered by Ask.com).

17. 3GUSER

3GUSER Registered Member

18. elapsed

Yes, I'm complaining that they are hijacking the errors with ads. That's exactly correct.

You're complaining that I'm nitpicking, I truly don't care. It is human nature to try to achieve perfection, nitpicking comes under that category.

I'll pass then. Sticking with OpenDNS. Far more features to consider swapping, for now.

19. sg09

sg09 Registered Member

Good to hear it is out. But Ask..!!o_O too bad...:'(

20. Pleonasm

Pleonasm Registered Member

Some interesting information about Norton DNS...

Note: Norton DNS is in beta at present.

21. firzen771

actually no, thats not the same. installing a toolbar onto ur system that is always gunna be ther no matter what u do in ur browser is hardly the same as having a web page that opens when u type the wrong URL, that doesnt install anything onto ur system unlike a toolbar.

22. kjdemuth

kjdemuth Registered Member

I tried a bunch of DNS services last night. I tried open DNS, Norton, Comodo and google DNS. I ran the GRC test. turns out that my ISP was the fastest on the list. Go figure. Of course if you read some of the articles about privacy, I wouldn't be using any of them.

23. iwod

iwod Registered Member

I have never had a single DNS system that is faster then my ISP including ones from Google.

24. BoerenkoolMetWorst

BoerenkoolMetWorst Registered Member

Besides the plans mentioned above, Symantec also took over VeriSign, yet another step closer to Norton everywhere.

There is a downside. Normally, if I mistype one character in the URL I just have to change that one and it works, now I have to change a lot more because the whole OpenDNS search is in the URL. Plus, there is of course the search results, but most of the time, there are none found or the one I want is not listed.

25. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Neither have I, my ISP is always fastest. I only used OpenDNS once many years ago when my ISP had become unreliable for a period of time while they were upgrading. Other than that, I stick with my ISP.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.