Norton DNS vs Safe Web do they block the same URLS?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by dazed1, Apr 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dazed1

dazed1 Registered Member

Here is what i think, atm i'm using Norton DNS & Safe Web, but..as i read somewhere, they use the same signatures/intrusion prevention (database/reputation) and they should block/warn generally about the same urls. So long story in short, would be better to use Clear cloud DNS and take advantage of additional "engine" ?

Thanks.

2. dazed1

dazed1 Registered Member

Anyone? :eek:

3. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Personally I'd stick with what you have. ClearCloud is becoming more and more a pain to use. I finally went back to my ISP DNS servers because ClearCloud kept blocking too many pages from me. I run Avast and MBAM both real-time, and neither of them would say a word about pages I was on, but ClearCloud always told me "No!".

4. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

Sometimes avast says a word, right dw? ;)

5. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

There's no point in using both, if that's what you wanted to hear. :p Either keep Norton DNS and get some other URL blocking/scanning tool, or keep Safe Web and get ClearCloud DNS. (Considering you do want a third-party DNS service.)

Just my two cents. :D

6. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Lol, well, unlike the others here, when Avast had that little hiccup, mine chirped only slightly. The only time I'm glad Avast speaks is when that little cutie pops in to tell me my definitions are updated :D *ahem*, Um, on-topic, I just feel like the available DNS options are more content filters than anything else. I'm a big boy, I can decide what content is appropriate. Otherwise, using these things for me has been FP hell. And, I'm sorry if I sound lazy or unhelpful, but I just don't want to send off emails to these people every time a page gets blocked.

7. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

Sure there is, m00nbl00d. I am now running with 4 DNS server addresses, in order of use, ClearCloud and then NortonDNS, as sbseven recently pointed out here. I think it is a viable option to only running one. :)

8. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

As for deciding what is appropriate, I figured the DNS services that block malware were beneficial for alerting me to sites that I otherwise would have no way of knowing were bad... until and unless my security apps stepped up and complained.

And as for FP hell, our experiences have been completely different. Just a few blocks have been seen, and then it is usually at places where, shall we say, I wasn't surprised they were being blocked.

9. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

I'm glad you have a better experience, Page. I wish I could have said the same. If I just had Avast on here, it would be one thing. But, damned if anything gets past MBAM and its website blocker, lol. That thing is right on the ball without fail. And, unlike the DNS services (for me at least), it isn't complaining every time I move.

10. m00nbl00d

That's one way to look at it. :p

I was merely looking at it from the perspective of Norton DNS vs Norton Safe Web. Nonetheless, great thing you reminded of that!

11. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

Oops, sorry m00nbl00d. I should have read more carefully. What you say makes sense in that both are Norton services. :)

12. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

Norton DNS will block a site with no way to get to it. Bad for a false positive. Safe web can be bypassed. I found ClearCloud to be very unreliable. I ultimately gave up on 3rd party DNS, it only caused me aggravation. I just run NIS with the default ISP DNS servers.

13. J_L

J_L Registered Member

I find Malwarebytes' Website Protection has far more false positives than ClearCloud. My whitelist currently has 32 IP entries. I've only sent ~7 sites to ClearCloud.

@dazed1: Here's a quote directly from the product page:

14. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

Same with me, I've also noticed (perhaps due to my location) that using the DNS server automatic search improves my browsing speed (not much, but enough to feel it).

15. m00nbl00d

It comes with the bundle. Blocking by IP results in that. Personally, to block by IP I use PeerBlock, which allows me to temporarily allow an IP.

Anyway, this would be my combo:

ClearCloud DNS + Norton SafeWeb... IF two conditions are met: We're talking about Norton SafeWeb and not SafeWeb Lite (stand-alone version), which does not block access to URLs, it merely provides ratings, AFAIK. The user doesn't care whether or not SafeWeb Lite (if the case) only rates search results.

If these two conditions are met, why not...

16. dazed1

dazed1 Registered Member

Thanks for the input guys, i tought Clear Cloud Dns is good but after this ill stick to Norton DNS, what is miss is that old Norton DNS blocking image with the dog, it was really cool :D

17. J_L

J_L Registered Member

It is good, just try it yourself instead of listening to people posting their experiences.

18. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

Absolutely correct, and I think even the people who have not had great experiences with ClearCloud would say the same thing about trying something for yourself.

Asking for input here at Wilders should always be a part of making a decision, but should never take the place of coming to your own conclusion. :)

I originally opted for a DNS service because of speed issues, and I was happy that ClearCloud felt faster than my ISP's DNS. Any anti-malware capabilities that it brings to the table is just an added plus for me.

Good luck with your endeavors, dazed1! :cool:

19. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.