Norton DNS or Open DNS?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by TheMozart, Sep 30, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Victek

Victek Registered Member

Of course you can do it, but I don't know that it serves any purpose. From casual tests it seems if DNS servers are specified in the local networking settings they are used. I'm not aware that a router has any independent need to use DNS, but if it does then I guess it would use the servers you specify there. I would be interested to hear more about this if anyone decides to test this thoroughly.

2. TheMozart

TheMozart Former Poster

I am using the latest Norton DNS address' and have had no problems at all.:thumb:

3. AlexC

AlexC Registered Member

I'm having, Norton DNS is blocking Google Translator:thumbd:
    Hope they got those problems fixed soon.

4. noone_particular

noone_particular Registered Member

For the most part, I've had good results with Open DNS. I don't use any of their security features. I have my own content filtering and don't need the phishing or malware protection. AFAIC, if you need to have protection supplied by your DNS, your security policy or its implementation has a problem. My primary criteria for DNS is reliability. I originally started using Open DNS because my ISPs DNS server kept going down. At one point while using Open DNS exclusively, I couldn't access this forum. Since then, I use 3 separate DNS servers that are completely unrelated to each other. My ISP is the primary. Open DNS is the first secondary. The 3rd DNS server is overseas, not easily influenced by Big Brother and only gets used when the first 2 can't resolve the site I want.

5. AlexC

AlexC Registered Member

6. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

Unless they have improved VERY recently Norton tends to be slow to pick up new information. My boss owns hundreds of domain names and when we create or move a site it can take days for Norton to pick up the DNS change. If this is not an issue for you go for it but know that it does work that way.

7. boombastik

boombastik Registered Member

Yes i use the dns version 2, and i can confirm that they fix the issues with blocking the local google site and google translator.

8. AlexC

AlexC Registered Member

Thank you both for the information, i switched now for Norton DNS and the issues with blocking the local google site and google translator are gone:thumb:

9. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

But, won't it still block other proxies? Does it block eu.ixquick.com? (If you could try it, that is.)

10. axial

axial Registered Member

GRC has lots of info on DNS configurations for various setups (with router, without, etc) as part of their DNS Benchmark utility, see the "DNS Reconfiguration Guide" section here:

http://www.grc.com/dns/benchmark.htm

11. 1chaoticadult

1chaoticadult Registered Member

I tried the ixquick and Norton DNS didn't block it.

12. m00nbl00d

I'll take the leap and will create a new Internet connection in my device to reflect the new Norton DNS IPs for the basic policy.

:thumb:

13. m00nbl00d

I made the switch. Seems to be working OK.

By the way, previous Norton DNS users who had an account, will still be able to change categories, if I understood correctly. I can't find the thread over Norton's forum right now. I'll see if I can find it again.

14. Konata Izumi

Konata Izumi Registered Member

these DNS' use proxies to do their content filtering, right? are there any info if these poses a risk to privacy etc. o_O

15. NGRhodes

NGRhodes Registered Member

There is a potential risk that using a 3rd party DNS someone could sniff your DNS requests (man in the middle attack) as your DNS requests are internet facing, that can't happen with using your ISP DNS as your requests do not go over the internet.

There is no more direct risk to privacy using a 3rd party DNS server VS using your ISP. Your ISP could collect the same data on your DNS requests as Norton or Open DNS, it will be down to the individual organisations how well they respect your privacy (and what is in their terms and conditions and if they adhere to that).

Cheers, Nick.

16. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

There's just as much potential of that happening from your ISP too, whether malicious, government driven, or compromised. (a la Iran)

17. Konata Izumi

Konata Izumi Registered Member

thanks, what about the proxy these DNS' is using for their content filtering function to work? are they privacy risk? :D

I think my ISP DNS dont use proxy because they don't filter content.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2011
  18. TheMozart

TheMozart Former Poster

I heard that Norton DNS now allows proxies.

19. PJC

PJC Very Frequent Poster

I've experienced the same...;)

20. elapsed

With which IPs? The new ones or the "old" ones?

21. PJC

PJC Very Frequent Poster

The new ones. Filterset "A".
    Some country-specific pages (e.g. local google sites etc.),
    which due to Proxy-issues,
    I couldn't open before.

I'm aware of THIS...;)

22. J_L

J_L Registered Member

At least they smartened up, somewhat. Still dumb though.

23. elapsed

So I've switched to the new IP's and haven't noticed any proxies being blocked - good. So everyone else is noticing the same?

The odd thing is I "trialled" the most restrictive "C" set of IPs and it also didn't block proxies, which make me wonder if this is turned off temporarily, and they might turn it on again for the "A" set of IPs, I hope not. (Yes I flushed the DNS cache when testing).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.