Norton Disk Dr (Security Descriptors ERROR?)

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Birdman, May 11, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Birdman

Birdman Registered Member

System: 2.13 GHz, 768 MB of RAM
    HDD: Maxtor 80GB

Whenever I run Norton Disk Doctor on my NTFS drive, it finds errors with Security Descriptors. Then I schedule a FIX which locks my C:/ drive and reboots. After CHKDSK has completed and my system is rebooted....I run Norton Disk Doctor again and it reports the same error(s).

The errors description varies from "errors in Volume Bitmap" or "System File errors." Having Googled this, I've read that many people have this same issue but a fix has yet to be discovered.

Does anyone know what might be causing this problem and if you know of any possible solution to this?

Thanks.

2. GlobalForce

GlobalForce Regular Poster

Hi Birdman,

Sorry I can't explain Norton's involvement (though have read their drive utilitie's have a habit of copying bad sectors),
    but this from M$ may open a few door's .... http://support.microsoft.com/kb/831374/

Alternately, if I were in your boot's I'd probably go ahead and cross-diagnose your hard drive with Maxtor's Powermax utility
    along with a third say running chkdsk from within the Recovery Console (/p and /r switch's applied).

If your careful you should be able to get at least one look here .... "Hardware: How do I repair bad sectors on an XP hard drive?"
    Unresolved, but many suggestion's and link's.

GF

3. Birdman

Thanks for your reply GlobalForce. I already checked for bad sectors and thankfully NONE were found.

In regards to Maxtor's Powermax utility....I checked on their site and this utility only runs from the floppy drive (mine is currently damaged). Do you know if Maxtor has a diagnosis tool that runs from a Boot CD? I checked their site and couldn't find anythinf besides floppy tools. Thanks.

4. GlobalForce

5. Birdman

GlobalForce...thank you very much! Just what I was looking for.

Kind regards

6. GlobalForce

Birdman,

If your still interested in security descriptor's, including some of the "why's" surrounding those errors, there's informative reading on the topic provided by Mark Russinovich and Bryce Cogswell on SysInternal's NewSID and Device Object Security page's.

GF

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.