Norton deleted my bandmaster game installer!

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by clayieee, Sep 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. clayieee

clayieee Registered Member

I am sure that there is no virus in the installer, but when i run it, they detected something and deleted it without my approval, is there any way to get back what Norton IS2011 deleted, its not on the quarantine too ,
    please help,
    I spend 4 hours downloading that game,

2. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

Nothing much to do except report the issue to Norton. Download again and exclude from scanning before running it

3. Victek

Victek Registered Member

There's also an option to configure SONAR which by default is set to "High Certainty" regarding removing viruses. It can be set to "Ask Me" which I should think would protect against these unexpected and undesired deletions.

4. pabrate

pabrate Registered Member

I had the same thing yesterday and the setting was set to "Ask Me" , it didn't ask me anything, file was deleted, but THE BIGGEST issue is ... why the heck it doesn't move the file in question into Quarantine o_O That is IMO very weird behavior from Norton and I'm seriously thinking about removing it, cause I don't really like that something gets deleted from my system without ANY warning, and on top of that .... I can't restore it !

5. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

And some thought this kind of behaviour was only specific to Panda Cloud AV. JoeBlack40 reported in another thread that a Nvidia file had been deleted and not quarantined. I hope we're not going to see too many of these kind of incidents.

6. pykko

pykko Registered Member

This is an old thing about Norton. Threats detected by signatures are automatically deleted, they don't have an interactive mode for on-access scanning.

7. toxinon12345

toxinon12345 Registered Member

These are news to me, then that means in Auto-Protect (a.k.a the on access scanner) will quarantine heuristic detections only.

False positives can occur in standard and generic signatures too.

8. Victek

Victek Registered Member

I had this happen recently. My workaround is to temporarily disable Auto Protect and download the file again. That doesn't help with the first occurrence though - might be good to post about this on the Symantec forum.

9. Sher

Sher Registered Member

Shame on Norton!!!

10. Spruce

Spruce Registered Member

Scanner did not quarantine the "threats" it found in Libre Office. Therefore I had to redownload it, install, then let autoprotect detect the FPs which it then quarantined (hooray!) and then restore and exclude the Libre Office files :cautious:

11. toxinon12345

toxinon12345 Registered Member

:eek: lol

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.