Norton AV 2007

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by DVD+R, Mar 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

Well, I've come to a conclusion that Norton AV 2007 is one of the best, considering AV-Comparatives testing, it is the only AV out there on the market with a Zero False Positive Score :cautious: regardless of reports that its a resource hog, Thats ridiculous in my view, cause checking Windows Task Manager in Vista, it says its using 758k:blink: How can that be a Hog? :blink:besides all that, I used in (Norton) years ago, and it worked fine on my previous Windows 98/Millennium/XP Pro,/and Now Vista, and the Vista Version is greately Improved. Today I shuffled across the Net,and Downloaded Norton AV 2007, and considering I have updates for........Ahem :cautious: 10 Years (Cough*) :shifty: I think I'll stick with it at least for a while anyways :cautious:

2. trjam

trjam Registered Member

Good product and good decision.

3. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

dvd,

i agree..... the 2007 norton is one of the best out there, and for most the users on the net, a zero (or near to....) false positive rate, with a friendly good GUI, good default settings and a great detection rate, surely its hard to argue against.

(also, 2007 norton is low on resources)

pretty much perfect.....praise for norton. :thumb:

4. user12

user12 Registered Member

Updates for 10 yearso_O!!!

Does that include upgrades? coz I can't see anyone staying faithful to one AV for that long, unless it's greatly evolving freeware (which Norton is certainly NOT).

BTW does this new version have a http scanner? I have a one year subcription with my new laptop, but uninstalled it straight away along with all the AOL stuff

5. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

I seldom hear of problems with Norton now. I used it from about 1999 - 2003, and had no complaints. I am not sure why I changed.

Best,
    Jerry

6. lodore

lodore Registered Member

i had problems removing the 2003 version and it not being able to get rid of trojans.
    plus at the time i saw good reviews for f-secure so with this pc i made my dad buy f-secure 2005 at the time rather than install norton on a new machine and then have to rip it out to install f-secure.
    and as you know now i use kis6.0
    lodore

7. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

I guess I was fortunate, as I never had a removal problem. However, I just downloaded new versions on top of what I had. I bought at least one off ebay with no bad results.

I would be willing to use Norton 2007 with the good reports I am reading. One can pick it up cheaply, and even free with rebates. There seems to be a ton of them on ebay.

Best,
    Jerry

8. lodore

lodore Registered Member

you lucky americans with rebates....
    in the UK we have to pay double the price for vista.
    well infact most stuff here is more expensive.
    i want rebates in the uk! and im sure Chris agrees with me that stuff is more expensive in the UK
    lodore

9. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

absolutely,

everything is half price or less in other countries, thats why we all buy stuff online and from abroad lodore, you know this.

even paying an import tax sometimes at customs is worth it, to save lots of money ;)

10. Metal425

Metal425 Registered Member

Bahh, I used norton IS before, wow can you say Resource Pig..lol.
    Know Im running Kaspersky Anti-Virus, and Outpost firewall Pro.
    Great products ;)

11. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

The Title of the Topic here is Norton AntiVirus, not Internet Security, Silly Ass :p
    And to User12, yes it has http scanning in NAV 2007 its called SONAR :ninja:

12. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

well, IS or AV, the 2007 products of norton are good ones, with LOW resources.

13. EliteKiller

EliteKiller Registered Member

You may want to look again because it has more than one process running and uses more than 758KB of memory. :blink:

14. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

OK whoops :D I looked in show processes for all users and:

AppSvc32.exe 3,000k
    ccApp.exe 484k
    ccSvcHst.exe 732k
    ccSvcHst.exe 2,352k
    symlcsvc.exe 427k

That still only totals 6,995k, So I ask again, where do people come up with the statement NAV 2007 is a resource Hog :blink:

15. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

i dont think they do dvd,

i think they still talk of previous versions of norton and not the 2007 range, anyway... off to bed for me :D

16. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

Bed :blink: its dinner time, get up !! :D

17. lodore

lodore Registered Member

I thought sonar was the HIPS in norton 2007

@Chris
    your right its best to buy aboard to get cheaper software.
    i emailed diskeeper before i upgraded to diskeeper 2007 and they gave me a discount code to get the same price as the US store.
    talking about import tax i got corsair to ship me the replacement ram and it caught on import tax and had to pay £30
    lodore

18. InfinityAz

InfinityAz Registered Member

Fry's Electronics is offering Norton 2007 - 3 User version for free after rebate.

I just bought and installed it yesterday (after testing it on my notebook and desktop for the last 10 days). Overall, I'm impressed. I haven't run any Symantec security products since approximately 2003 when they began to get bloated, take over your system, etc.

This new version is running very light for both memory and CPU utilization. It seems they finally started listening to users and have developed a very good product.

Of course, they will have to prove themselves again next year when Norton 2008 comes out, but for the next year Norton 2007 AV will be on my systems.

19. Sjoeii

Sjoeii Registered Member

I really liked Norton 2007. and it liked my pc.
    I had it on recommended. BIG MISTAKE

Unfortunately my pc is full of malware, viruses and spyware right now. It didn't detect or remove.

20. Antarctica

Antarctica Registered Member

Well,2007 may be good I believe you. But I am not sure I would install Norton products on my PC again.:doubt:

I had a nightmare with Norton 2003. It would not update definitions, sometimes it would not start at all,support was awful and at the end I could not uninstall it.

21. Longboard

Longboard Registered Member

@Sjoeii
    Wow what have you been up to
    that sounds very disappointing
    Didn't you only install NAV enterprise just a couple of weeks ago ?

Care to elaborate a bit on your set-up?

Regards.

22. Malcontent

Malcontent Registered Member

Could you tell us more about what happened, in more detail?

23. ink

ink Registered Member

SONAR is from WholeSecurity, and it is behavior-based approaches, the data will be gathered by symantec, this is not the traditional HIPS.
    By the way for symantec product ,there is no use to mention http scan, because the core of the product is running in ring0, it can provide enough protection even there is no http scan. The real time protection and memory scan is one union, not like other product can stop certain protection.

24. trjam

trjam Registered Member

I personally find this hard to fathom.:rolleyes:

25. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

yep so do i, if his machine is FULL of malware, with norton having such a good detection rate, it didnt detect any of it? bla bla ...sounds like BS to me, probably norton bashing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.