Norton Antivirus 2009 Gaming Edition

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by lu_chin, Nov 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lu_chin

lu_chin Registered Member

Anyone has more info on this? The only thing I read about it is that it uses up to 80% less memory when comparing with other antivirus program. But I also read on this forum that Norton 2009 products are already light on system resources so it just seems that a normal NAV 2009 may already use the same amount of RAM as this new flavor.

2. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

So, what's next? Norton Antivirus 2009 Flower Power Edition?

3. EliteKiller

EliteKiller Registered Member

The same people who will purchase it also buy Music CDR's. ;)

4. icr

icr Registered Member

5. iwod

iwod Registered Member

May be they will use a less fancy interface? Therefore consumer less memory?

If they dicided to give NAV 09 with different setting for gamers i will be disappointed.

6. ambient_88

ambient_88 Registered Member

As far as I know, it will be the same as the regular version of NAV 2009. They only added a couple of tweaks specifically related to gaming.

7. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

How about a RejZoR edition with extreme polymorphic sheep GUI? :D

(just kidding) :)

Well, personally I feel such so-called "gamer friendly" features should be exposed in all of the product line and not just a few gamer specific products. In the end I would still prefer more active protection over a 2 fps drop. Somehow this year has become the catalyst for companies to start mega-marketing their products to the masses.......

8. clocks

clocks Registered Member

This appears to be a marketing gimmick. The regular Norton 09 is already super light. Not sure this product is needed.

9. ambient_88

ambient_88 Registered Member

I have to agree with you.

10. Michael York

Michael York Registered Member

Hi lu_chin,

This is Mike from the Norton Authorized Support Team

Symantec is releasing a "Gaming Edition" of Norton AntiVirus 2009 shortly. You can find out more information on the Norton Forums at the following location.

Information about the Norton AntiVirus 2009 gaming edition]

Thanks,
    Mike

11. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

wow awesome to have a symantec support person here! hope you stick around to help out if needed with the 2009 lineup. i would have never even thought id have nortons on my system through the last few versions but 2009 has totally changed that for you guys. great work

12. david banner

david banner Registered Member

Mike and Hi lu_chin, sorry for butting in.

Mike will Norton 09 run with comodo and can you turn off the NAV firewall. Seem to remember there was one that the firewall could not be turned off

13. lu_chin

lu_chin Registered Member

Thanks Mike for the link.

Cheers.
    Lu Chin

14. WigglyTheGreat

WigglyTheGreat Registered Member

Seems like a gimmick to me too. Yet some people still turn off their security software while gaming thinking it will yield better game performance. But the last two computers I did a clean install on I ran some benchmarks and the scores were identical before and after installing my security software.

15. iwod

iwod Registered Member

16. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

looks like the GUI got torn and raped...

17. vijayind

vijayind Registered Member

+1 :thumb:
    That GUI is seriously UGLY !!!

18. doktornotor

doktornotor Registered Member

ROTFLMAO... :D :eek:

This is 110% redundant "product"... Could do the same with a single checkbox/right-click option on tray icon for some gaming mode instead of such marketing gimmicks. LOL, gaming edition.

19. stratoc

stratoc Guest

what idiot thought this one up? i was thinking may try norton when my current subscription runs out as it looks lighter. releasing a 'gaming edition' (a lot of pc's play games) is like saying "fastest av on the market, but if slows your games try the gaming edition." shot in da foot i fear!

20. Rain_Train

Rain_Train Registered Member

Umm, have any of you guys actually tried the product? Maybe it is lighter than the other 2009 versions (if that's possible!). Besides, it might be good marketing, considering how other security vendors – BitDefender, ZoneAlarm, and Avira – are doing it.

So I suppose it might not be an idiot move from the standpoint of Symantec, but I can't be too sure; it might do what it says it can do ;) !

21. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

PR is one of the most lucrative fields in life I guess, especially when one can get away with stuff like this.......:rolleyes:

22. AshG

AshG Registered Member

Nevermind, I found the trial. I like the functionality and the lack of slowdown while gaming. I find the UI slightly insulting; just because I game doesn't mean I want my programs to look like rejected art from a grunge convention. I'd like to have the option to use the original UI instead of this monstrosity.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2008
  23. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

24. Kyle1420

Kyle1420 Registered Member

Haha this is funny, I did test NIS2009 for about a week and very impressed, This wouldbe the product id reccomend to people who don't want a hassle.
    I thought Symantec was seriously looking into stepping up the paces with new technology.. But.. It's still the same, all about the money.

They should simply just have a switch pannel to turn on gamming mode in the main NAV\NIS 2009.

25. Ade 1

Ade 1 Registered Member

I agree. Seems the only things that are different are the GUI and the fact you can disable certain security items (e.g. updates, realtime protection) when you run games - although why you would want to do such a thing is beyond me particularly if you're playing online.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.