norton and nod

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by fed-up, Aug 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fed-up

fed-up Registered Member

is it wise to install norton after installing nod 32

2. ASpace

ASpace Guest

No , don't install anything Symantec because you'll make your PC nothing but problems . Give more info for more acurate reply

3. Tommy

Tommy Registered Member

Why do you want to use _two_ AV programs? I think two of its kind will cause more trouble than eficency.

4. NAMOR

NAMOR Registered Member

Everyones computer will react differently... I've had NIS 2006 installed on my parents computer for sometime now and it's worked just fine.

@ the OP
    I would just keep NOD and not install Norton. If you have NOD32, I don't see a need for another AV. Maybe just install an AT,AS or HIPS program.

5. ASpace

ASpace Guest

Sorry Namor , I wasn't clear enough :)
    I meant don't install anything Symantec along with NOD32 ...

6. pykko

pykko Registered Member

Symantec products generally conflict with other similar products installed on the same computer.
    You could install for example Avira (free) or an anti-spyware program together with NOD32.

7. fed-up

fed-up Registered Member

thanx for the replies but i was under the impression from reading various post that two and sometimes three anti virus programs were needed to sniff out the bad guys...... a little history of my problem is in order here..... i let my norton expire with-out renewing it. within a week i started having problems with my cpu. crashes,forced reboots etc.. ect... i did some research and downloaded trial version of nod... that did the trick for a while so i upgraded to two years worth of nod... meanwhile the missus ordered norton for a year but ordered the hard copy so it sits waiting to be installed. meanwhile my problems with forced reboots and crashes continue. i am afraid that all the reboots have splintered my hard drive into a million little pieces with no end in sight. sysprotect seems to be the culprit but i am having trouble (being the idiot that i am) from getting rid of it. the virus seems to know that i am trying to disable it and is protecting itself. nod finds it and i terminate it but then it gets mad as hell at me and really screws with my cpu and forces another reboot. today i couldn't even run a simple word doc. until i rebooted several times. i almost threw the computer in the garbage. of course i have microsoft updating turned on and since microsoft insist on needing to update everything everyday i know that could be a problem to.
    before i throw out my cpu i thought i would try to get some direct help here. as this is a big forum it is very hard to read various post and try to figure out from them which is the right way to fix this problem.

thanx
    tom

8. ThunderZ

ThunderZ Registered Member

Two or three anti-spyware programs are recommended, not two or more anti-virus programs.
    Did you uninstall the Norton per the instructions on the Symantec website? Do not know what version of Norton you are using so the instructions may vary.

9. betauser2

betauser2 Guest

@ fed-up - forget installing 2nd AV just do online AV scans, there are many listed links on RejZor's site http://security-ops.eu.tt/ under on-demand online anti-virus scans.

10. fed-up

fed-up Registered Member

thanks for the replies....it seems that getting rid of crap on your machine is pretty easy once you read some posts. i finally gave in and updated to sp2....that hurt... downloaded nod..... downloaded spybot... followed all directions .... as far as i can tell nod took care of sasser and related viruses and spybot took care of 64 other problems including smitfield, sysprotect,sexlist ect..ect..ect.. now the misses is happy...what a beautiful day. my fingers are crossed...

thanks to everyone here who donates there time to help others

tom

11. ThunderZ

ThunderZ Registered Member

We will keep our fingers crossed for you. I know how it is. When the Mrs. is`t happy, nobodys happy. ;)

12. fed-up

fed-up Registered Member

thanks thunderz.... i really didn't know there was a differance between an av program and a anti-spyware.... once that was clear it all fell into place...

thanks again

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.