Norton 360 question

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by gery, Aug 20, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gery

gery Registered Member

just today i reinstalled Norton 360 and did a full update. After the update finished it required restart which i did. When the computer restarted and i began browsing the internet i saw at the top of FF a certain ask.com web something installed. I did disable that thing but i am not sure if that is really off or is still working in background. Can someone give some suggestion please?

2. wtsinnc

wtsinnc Registered Member

Probably the Ask.com toolbar button.
    Did you notice an opt-in/out for the toolbar during the install process ?

You can kill the process in Administrative Tools/Services, and I would also look for and delete any registry keys associated with it.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2009
  3. dell boy

dell boy Registered Member

if you have winpatrol or something similar you can list the BHO's and remove, ask isnt really a bad toolbar so shouldnt be too difficult to remove it.

4. Dark_Hanzo

Dark_Hanzo Registered Member

I am afraid that there's no opt-out for the toolbar. Don't take my word for this but I think that the toolbar is disabled by default.

5. Victek

Victek Registered Member

I don't know that it's doing anything in the background when you're not using the search window. You can keep the toolbar active and simply hide the window. You can also check to make sure Ask.com is not listed in IE's Search Provider list. There was a lot of protest about this when Symantec first implemented it. Their response was to make it possible to hide the window. LOL :rolleyes:

6. Michael York

Michael York Registered Member

Hi gery,

This is Mike from the Norton Authorized Support Team.

It sounds like the updates to Norton 360 version 3 did not get applied correctly. The Ask.com toolbar was removed in a later LiveUpdate.

However, Norton Safe Search still utilizes some of the Ask technologies to rank websites. Please manually run LiveUpdate in Norton 360 version 3, possibly multiple times, until it informs you that no more updates are available. The version number should read "3.5.2.10".

Let me know if it still shows up after you run LiveUpdate, and be sure to reboot after the updates are installed.

Thank you,
    Mike

7. gery

gery Registered Member

Something really strange happened recently s i uninstalled norton at least for a while
    Problem 1- running update causes CPU to 100% and after a while the laptop would shut down
    problem 2- the Norton safe toolbar thing never showed up at all
    I went to the hotfix thing at their site and it said it is to be run manually so i downloaded and ran it but it said that the thing could not be installed
    I am stuck now
    Tanks for replying anyway
    will try it later

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.