Norton 360 3.0 Beta

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by midway40, Jan 6, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. midway40

midway40 Registered Member

I just noticed that Symantec has this beta for download on their site:

Norton 360 3.0 Beta

New features:

* New! Ultra Fast and Super Light Performance—Norton 360 version 3.0 is a fast and light, all-in-one PC protection solution. It delivers industry-leading protection for your PC and all your online activities while using significantly fewer system resources, so it won’t slow you down.

* New! Norton Insight scans only those files at risk, saving time and dramatically improving protection with faster, shorter and fewer scans

* New! Norton Safe Web—identifies unsafe websites and suspicious sellers so you can surf and shop with confidence.

* Improved Norton Identity Safe— protects your identity when you buy, bank, and browse online.

* Improved Password Manager—automatically detects, stores, and secures logins and passwords so you can have highly secure passwords without ever having to remember them again.

* New! Norton Pulse Update—provides continuous, non-stop protection against new threats automatically during your subscription period.

* New! Botnet Detection—prevents others from taking control of your PC to access your private information or use it to host an attack.

* New! Diagnostic Recommendation—checks your PC to fix common problems and provides recommendations to help you make your PC run better.

* New! Smart Startup Manager—provides an easy-to-read menu of startup items and allows you to deactivate certain programs so your PC starts up faster.

* New! Real-time SONAR (Symantec™ Online Network for Advanced Response)—detects emerging spyware and viruses before traditional cures are available.

* New! Multiple backup destinations and sets allow you store important files to different locations like an external hard drive or secure online storage on different schedules for maximum flexibility.

* New! Norton™ Drive lets you queue up new or specific files that you need to backup immediately without having to wait for the scheduled backup. The backup will start when your computer goes into idle mode, so it won’t get in the way of your work or play.

Looks like they have upgraded its engine to that of NAV/NIS '09.

2. Jaki

Jaki Guest

Sweet. Thanks. I'll try it.

Peace.

3. TechOutsider

TechOutsider Registered Member

Maybe N360 v3 will have full antibot intergration ...

4. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

lol who cares if antibot is integrated, IMO antibot is almost useless.

5. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Truth

AntiBot is a pure and useless dud, Ripoff if you will. Try it and weep.

6. Bunkhouse Buck

Bunkhouse Buck Registered Member

I had it on my machine for about a month to test it- and I agree with you- its useless. It did not catch anything that Avira did. :thumbd:

7. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

I won't say that I agree 100% that Norton Antibot sucks, but what I will say is that the tool I use to detect any related bot activity is Trend Micro RUBotted, which unlike Norton Antibot, only will detect and not prevent or eliminate any bot.

Being so, I can say that RUBotted does a better job than Norton Antibot. I say this based on the fact that, not in a very distant time, I was checking for a few themes for Windows Vista. I visited a few sites, and, in one of them, there was a link for background images, which I did visit, after all there was no reason not to, I guess (it is one of those sites that are safe, the problem are the links I guess :D ). Anyway, as soon as I pressed that link, RUBotted went crazy saying that it detected bot related activty. I imediately disconnected. That domain, to where I got linked, was in fact, also, placed at my customized HOSTS file. The problem is that, at that moment, I was updating my HOSTS file and still had a lot entries to add to it. One was that link.

Why am I saying all this? Well, in the system where this happened, I also have Norton Antivirus 2009, which also includes antibot protection. It is a light AV, and for this old system, it's the one that played quite well, compared to others. Better have some protection than none at all, I guess. :D

The antibot technology in NAV2009 didn't detect, prevent or eliminate any bot related activity. RUBotted did. Shouldn't the technology present in NAV2009 had prevented it? I mean, antibot is based on behavior.

I don't know how Norton Antibot works, but RUBotted monitors Http incoming, smtp outgoing, IRC request and DNS query.

8. TechOutsider

AntiBot is limited to what's running locally on your system.

9. firzen771

its also limited to not detecting squat it seems... :mad:

10. Jaki

Jaki Guest

Where you guys are coming from you all are so d.....o_O Antibot has to wait for a malware to execute or be active in the memory for it to catch anything, Avira does not to wait for a piece of malware to be active. These two products are very different from eachother.

Peace or its contrary.

11. firzen771

im not sure if he meant Avira's scan or Avira's Guard that couldve detected the malicious process. but ive been using Mamutu for quite a while and have used TF before, and both provided MUCH better protection than Antibot did, Antibot stayed quiet as a mouse.

12. TechOutsider

AntiBot operates on a different level than Avira.

AntiBot errs toward the side of accuracy, rather than screaming at every single suspicious action. TF added too much to boot/load time for me. Mamutu is pretty good.

Attached Files:

13. iwod

iwod Registered Member

Just wondering if this is an new and improved engine based on Norton 2009.

Or is it the same engine?

14. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

I think they are now updating 360 to the same technologies as NAV and NIS 2009. At least that's my take on it.

15. TechOutsider

Looking at N360 v3, it's NIS/NAV09. With a yellow/black color scheme, compared to NIS/NAV09's black/blue scheme. It's the same every year, N360 v2 takes from NIS/NAV08. v1 takes from 07.

And with N360 v3 NIS/NAV09's features are like all over the place. A CPU meter here, security history there. etc etc. Not good :(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.