norton 2010 slows zip and rar down

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by zfactor, Sep 14, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

so far the only slowdown i see is unrar and unzipping files. a lot slower than 2009.. just tested both same rar files same system (dual boot) etc and 2010 was much slower than 2009.. anyone else notice this

2. ASpace

ASpace Guest

I couldn't notice any slow-down when extracting archives . However , v2010 generally feels kind of slower than 2009 . I think it is the new Insight feautures.

Do you notice the slow down when downloading malicious file ? Download Insight starts checking and even though the access to the malware is blocked instantly , there is a slow down.

I tried Norton Antivirus 2010 on XP SP3 and Vista SP2

3. zfactor

i have not noticed much at all from downloads. there is this new option "data extraction limit" not sure if that has anything to do with it or not..

4. raven211

raven211 Registered Member

It's positioned to be understood as a sub-option for Compressed Files Scan and this is taken from the help-file:

"Data Extraction Limit

Norton Internet Security extracts and scans maximum of 2-GB data from a compressed file. This way, Data Extraction Limit prevents the scan from being stuck up with a single compressed file that contains a large amount of data."

Hope this helps!

5. zfactor

yeah i read that but i wonder how that really translates to real world use.. know what i mean? ill download a few large rar files and try both ways to see if it affects the speed of the extraction

6. Arin

Arin Registered Member

NAV 2010 working fine with ZIP and RAR files here. I am using WinRAR though.

7. zfactor

same here using winrar. okay say i have a 7 part winrar. with 2010 it is now pausing between parts. before it would breeze right through with 2009

8. Arin

Arin Registered Member

Have you tried disabling the protection temporarily to check if it makes the problem go away?

9. Michael York

Michael York Registered Member

Hi zfactor,

This is Mike from the Norton Authorized Support Team.

The first step I would suggest that you try is to manually run the "Norton Insight" task, which was put into place to increase the scanning speed, as it will white-list known good files and exclude those from the scan. By default, the task is set to run automatically when your computer is idle, as long as your computer is connected to the internet. However you can always run it manually as well.

The second option to try is to disable the "Compressed File Scan" option. The main scanning engine "Auto-Protect" will still be scanning the files as they are extracted from the archive.

Thanks,
    Mike

10. stfing123

stfing123 Registered Member

Mike

Running Insight wont speed up scanning of RAR files - Insight works by whitelisting based on previous scans of the file on other machines and on frequency. Unless that RAR file shows up on millions of machines, Insight won't help.

You can disable compressed file scan - I think by default it is off for auto-protect. It will still scan it when you try to decompress or access the files in the archive.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.