Norton 2007

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by fred128, Oct 25, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fred128

fred128 Registered Member

For those of you who use Zonealarm, please be aware that Norton 2007 Antivirus is not compatible with it. During the installation of the program, a notification comes up that Zonealarm has to be uninstalled first.
    This means that you would have to either uninstall Zonealarm or not use the Symantec 2007 version. If you're contemplating purchasing Norton 2007, it might change your mind.

2. Chubb

Chubb Registered Member

Thanks for the update. ;) :thumb: :thumb:

But I won't use Norton AntiVirus anymore. :D

There are better choices out there.

3. Cloudcroft

Cloudcroft Registered Member

When I installed NIS 2007, I got a message saying it was incompatible with Spybot and Windows Defender (which I previously disabled), and that I should uninstall them before continuing. I went ahead and installed NIS 2007 without uninstalling them, and so far have had no problems. (Disclaimer: I'm not implying that NAV 2007 isn't incompatible with Zonealarm)

4. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

NIS 2007 ?

i dont think you need spybot and windows defender with that installed

5. Cloudcroft

Cloudcroft Registered Member

Spybot's been on my computer for years, and I tried Windows Defender just to see how good it was. I disabled it months ago, and probably should go ahead and uninstall it. Like a lot of people on this forum, I like to check out new programs. I have quite a few installed, but only use most of them for on demand scanning. :D

6. iNsuRRecTioN

iNsuRRecTioN Registered Member

7. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

this article is a joke,

norton 2007 is amazing and spybot is poor, erm ...

8. lodore

lodore Registered Member

come on Symantec is a big faceless corporation that doesn't listen to the little guy but should!

9. javagreen

javagreen Registered Member

You've lost all your credibility when you said that.

10. [suave]

[suave] Registered Member

That doesn't surprise me... considering the fact that Norton isn't compatible with Windows itself :D :D

11. lodore

lodore Registered Member

LMAO.

12. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

well norton 2007 is amazing, isnt like the other versions and i used to be a norton hater due to their resource hogged and buggy protection.

13. iNsuRRecTioN

iNsuRRecTioN Registered Member

Hey,

maybe, but this article have nothing to do with being a resource hog..

You should read articles carefully, before being lame and troll.

best regards,

iNsuRRecTiON

14. metallicakid15

metallicakid15 Registered Member

wasent mcafee also not compatible with zonealarm? sounds like zonealarm is pushing people to buy thier internet security suite or antivirus(vet ca engine).

15. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

i did read the article and found myself quite bored :shifty:

16. Graystoke

Graystoke Registered Member

I really wanted to give NIS or NAV 2007 a try. I first tried the trial version of NIS 2007. It went through the install process with no problems. After running Live Update I rebooted, and that is were the problem started. It took what seemed forever for everything to load. It was very, very slow. It caused the whole startup process to slow down. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling a couple of times with the results the same. I then gave NAV 2007 a try. Same problem. I know my computer has enough power to handle either software. No other AV or suite affects my computer the way NIS/NAV 2007 does. I could never figure out the problem.

17. marcromero

marcromero Guest

Yesterday I purchased and installed NAV 2007, I wanted to see for myself, how Norton antivirus had changed since I last used NAV 2003. I must say, it has changed for the better. I installed it on my laptop with 512 RAM memory, it runs really well, with remarkably low resource usage and no noticable drag on my system. Installation was a bit frustrating, first install failed, second install would not update internet intrusion protection (worm protection), third install attempt completed successfully, everything updated properly and is working fine. I really like the logging features, they provide alot of useful information and detail. Now for the test drive, as I learn it's capabilities and new features.

18. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

Yep, Norton is definatly back in the game:thumb:

19. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

Much better... ;)

20. RiverLights

RiverLights Registered Member

Norton does ask you to uninstall other security programs and firewalls before installation (do did PC Cillin 2007). Then after the installation you reinstall em ( well you don't reinstall the firewalls of course). I have used Norton 2007 NIS with Spysweeper....used that method and had no problems. Don't recall if Kaspersky security suite 6 asked for an uninstall....actually I think I anticipated it and uninstalled ahead of time anyway. Then reinstalled there too. No conflicts, but both Kaspersky and Norton block Spysweeper scans from access to their programs. They both protect themselves against even just potential invasions very well.

Have read of so many problems with Norton 2007 installations, but I have had none myself. Lucky I guess. I really like it. Very unobtrusive solid protection.

21. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

i have heard of no problems with the norton 2007 range, its very impressive software.

22. Longboard

Longboard Registered Member

I also have NAV/NIS running with SBS&D with no problems so far

SBS&D is still one of my favourite tools, (especially now Spysweeper has gone to the dogs) lots of built in goodies, and, extra tools available from SaferNetWorking.
    Virtually every malware removal site still recommends/supports SBS&D at some level.

I did uninstall SBS&D prior to Norton install, heh: TeaTimer would have gone beserk LOL :eek:

If you dont want plenty of pop-ups from TeaTimer, must remove all the SBS&D data files first.

Need to give careful consideration to disabling/uninstalling every poller/reg monitor, HIPS, AT guard, FW prior to any BIG install particularly if like Symantec they install rootkits LOL.
    Probably prevx and OA and CyberHawk ( in my experience ) handled it best without being uninstalled.

Useful having several FDISR snapshots with different configs to play in for installation and compatability testing. :)

DID not as yet test against Green Border or Defence Wall.

Very happy to continue supporting PK/Team Spybot and his terrific software and services.

Regards

23. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

i wouldnt be too sure about SBS&D, its detection is poor.

24. huangzhengliang

huangzhengliang Registered Member

I just got the NIS 2007 trial. Installation took a while and so did LiveUpdate, this *something* list.
    Although I like the resources part, scanning my computer took around 20 mins. This was approx the same scan speed as when I had NIS 2005. But I believe using programs while scanning is much quicker with NIS 2007 than NIS 2005. Anyway, as long as it doesn't slow down my computer playing games, it's all good.

25. eBBox

eBBox Registered Member

Glad to hear :thumb: I've had the same expirence too with no slowdowns :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.