norton 2007 exclamation mark...

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by agustan, Mar 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. agustan

agustan Registered Member

Hi..

One quick question..Is there a way to hide the green exclamation mark in norton 2007 icon tray?? I have tried to look all the options but i still couldn't find it.

thanksss

2. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

Why would you want to do that? its a tiny thing and really isnt bothersome, in my opinion, but if your wanting to remove Norton Icons, do so in preferences :)

3. Arin

Arin Registered Member

Probably you didn't perform a full system scan or some settings were disabled. Just look for something like FIX and click on it. Norton 2007 will automatically fix it. I think windows update set to manual updating might also trigger this but I'm not sure. McAfee 2007 Plus did this I remember.

4. Simon6776

Simon6776 Registered Member

Just so you don't feel alone, I have to admit, I found the Protection Center icon a little displeasing as well, as it seems to stand out from the rest of my system tray icons, but it is a very trivial matter, and after a while, if you don't tell it not to, Windows will automatically hide the icon anyway. I couldn't find anywhere in the Options to not show it, and I do feel assured having something in my system tray, to show that my AV is working correctly, but I would have preferred it without the green tick.

5. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

there is an option to NOT show the protection centre, but as i dont use the software... i cant tell you how.

6. EliteKiller

EliteKiller Registered Member

right-click the taskbar-> properties-> customize-> locate the Norton icons & choose always hide

7. Simon6776

Is it just me, or does anyone else find that doesn't always work, particularly when trying to always show icons? I have had to 'always show' my Mailwasher icon several times, before it eventually seems to work. Very irritating.

8. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

I cant understand the Paranoia about a little green tick in your taskbar :ninja: Unless your focused on watching that icon 24/7, which means you cant really be doing anything else. Having said that, you could almost say, every taskbar icon annoys you :blink: If your constantly attracted to watch the little icon, I sugest you go and get your self tested for drugs *puppy* because your dillusional :D or you must have an Anurizm someplace :p

9. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

Last edited: Mar 25, 2007
  10. Simon6776

I think that's a bit OTT. The question was merely how to hide the icon. Users are entitled to their own preferences, without being labelled as mentally ill, or on drugs. :p

11. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

It was a joke :D But seriously, you have to think about it if its that Hypnotizing as to why it is :ninja: Having said that :cautious: If the said Norton icon was missing in the taskbar however :cautious: The Title of the first post would be "My Norton Taskbar Icon is Missing" and you know very well it would :p So like I said, its Shear Paranoia :p

Last edited: Mar 25, 2007
  12. Simon6776

The point is, it's not *that* anything! I said in my first post in this thread that it's a very trivial matter, and commented that the icon isn't all that aesthetically pleasing. No one has said they are off to see a shrink, or jump screaming "NORTON!!!" off a multi-storey over it, so why blow the question up out of all proportion?

Hell, I don't even use bloody Norton, so I don't know why I'm getting into this! :rolleyes: Back to the Sunday lunch, and a large glass of Chateauneuf-du-Pape for me! :D
    http://www.avfu59.dsl.pipex.com/smileys/drink.gif

13. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

Well I have said icon in the taskbar myself :cautious: and with the others it looks kinda pretty an yellow ;) with a green tick saying everything is ok ;) Maybe if I ask Norton nicely they will make it pink and blue and put cute little kittens called Kevin :blink: on it too :p That way it might not be that distracting for others to look at :D :cautious:

14. NAMOR

NAMOR Registered Member

Let's stay on topic... To the OP, I'm not sure if that particular icon can be hidden using Norton's options. You could try a program like PS Tray Factory (payware). I'm sure if you look hard enough you can find a freeware program that will do the same.

15. Cloudcroft

Cloudcroft Registered Member

That's the only way I've found to hide it. I don't have Windows Update set to automatic, so I get the red exclamation point on the Norton Protection Center icon, so I prefer to hide it.....for what it's worth.

16. midway40

midway40 Registered Member

I have not encountered the "exclaimation mark" as of yet with my NIS unless the Vista version is different. Mine looks like this:

http://img152.imageshack.us/img152/6965/systrayqn6.jpg

I have seen a green check (which I had to look intently at to tell what it was) and a red X when I disable Auto Protect. The second icon I put there because I needed a quick access to disable Auto Protect via right click of the icon. I do this at times like when installing drivers and such.

17. midway40

A while ago I had to reset my WMI repository to get rid of a PCTools Firewall entry that was still showing up in Security Center even though it was no longer installed. A side effect was that SecCenter no longer saw Norton on my computer so I had to uninstall/reinstall NIS. At reboot I finally saw the exclamation mark (I must haven't noticed it before) and all was required was to click on the "Fix" button which in this case was a full scan. I guess it really depends on what resolution you run as to how noticable it is. At 1280x1024 it isn't that noticable which requires me to squint my old eyes even to make it out, lol.

http://img444.imageshack.us/img444/4412/systrayrh8.jpg

18. Cloudcroft

Cloudcroft Registered Member

Yep, that's the red exclamation point I hide. I have Windows automatic updates disabled, because I prefer to run update manually. I want to see what Windows wants to install. So instead of looking at the red exclamation point, I just hide it.

19. midway40

I turned my Automatic Updates off to see what Norton would do but instead of "!" I get "X", lol. Well, at first it "pulsates" in red then the X appeared.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.