Norman Antivirus, good enough?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Jadda, Jun 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jadda

Jadda Registered Member

Hi all.

I can get a 3 years long Norman Internet/Virus Control lincense for free. So, I was wondering if Norman is a OK program? Because 3 years lincenses for free must be a good deal or what?

I just wanted to hear how Norman is? A good program like many other brands or? I've heard the Norman engine is quite good?

Thanks.

2. duke1959

duke1959 Very Frequent Poster

eEye Digital who has their Blink Personal Edition security software for free right now must think so. They use it as a part of the suite, and claim to have considered 20 Antivirus Companies before settling on Norman. What interests me is the sandbox technology Norman has, and the fact that it is reproted to be very good at RealTime detection. As far as ratings in other areas, although it's polymorhic virus detection wasn't very good, it seems to do fairly well in the AV Comparitives tests, and just passed the Virus BullentineTest. Hope this helps.

3. Jadda

Jadda Registered Member

Sounds good. How does the Sandbox technology work? I've heard it's very good. But if it is, why haven't other AV companies started to use the SandBox? Or is it 'own' by Norman?

And what exactly is polymorhic virus?

Yeah, I saw the AV-Comparatives test now, and the results was good. It have a great score.

I think I will try out Norman then. I will not say no to a 3 years license for free. Thanks for the help!

If someone else have something to say about Norman, do it! :)

4. duke1959

You can see what they have to say about it here.
    http://www.norman.com/microsites/nsic/Technology/en-us/technology
    As far as Polymorphic Viruses I believe they are the types that can change themselves somehow, but I'm sure one of the experts in this forum canl expalin this a little better than me. Also the other thread in this forum on Norman AV has some good things to say. Take care.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2007
  5. Jadda

Jadda Registered Member

Ok, thanks :)

6. MalwareDie

MalwareDie Registered Member

Norman is pretty good unless you are a high risk surfer.

7. duke1959

8. Carzpurzkey

Carzpurzkey Registered Member

T_Twhy can't i install it?The installation leave several folders that can't be removed!Please help...

9. duke1959

Did you install it and then un-install it? Usually a reboot after a software un-install will allow any left over folders to be deleted. A reinstall and then another un-install can also solve some problems.

10. Carzpurzkey

Carzpurzkey Registered Member

I reinstalled it in another folder, but the result is the same as before, and when I
    try to remove the folders it had left, the operating system says "Access Denied.".

11. duke1959

You should reinstall it to the same folder. I had similar problems after un-installing an Antispyware, but after a complete reinstall to the same folder and then un-installing again, the folder it deleted ok after a reboot. Hopefully one of the nice and knowledgeable Wilders Members will try and help you if needed, and here is the address to the Norman Support Forums, which all you have to do is join first. http://forum.norman.com/

Last edited: Jun 17, 2007
  12. carioca

carioca Registered Member

o_O
    Hi, buddy.
    For God sake teach us how to get a 3 years long NVC free? Best Regards.

13. snapdragin

snapdragin Registered Member

One off topic post removed. Lets please stay on topic and not turn this thread into a 'this AV's better than that AV" like thread or else it'll end up closed.

The topic of this thread is about Norman Antivirus.

14. Escalader

Escalader Registered Member

Jadda:

When you ask questions about an AV such as, is it ok, how it is, a good program like other brands? it is clear at least to me that comparisons with other brands have been invited. But there seems there is doubt on this point.

Are you asking for comparisons with other AV's at this point?
    Have you set a list of criteria for your AV to meet?

If you have already decided on Norman then please ignore this post and I hope it works well for you.:D

15. danieleb

danieleb Registered Member

Tried Unlocker?

http://ccollomb.free.fr/unlocker/

16. Jadda

Jadda Registered Member

Haha :D I got the licence from my online bank. So if you doesn't get a account in the bank, sorry, no can do :D

17. sukarof

sukarof Registered Member

I have been trialing Norman for a couple of weeks. It has a rather unique sandboxing thechnology that I am curious about.
    I wrote somewhere here earlier (right after install when I think of it) that Norman AV used over 100MB of memory, I was just about to warn about the memory consumption, but looks like that wasnt necessary :thumb: now that I look at it it´s just round 20MB...

Norman has not slowed down my system at all. Once installed it is, as most AV´s are, set and forget. It isnt as fast in scanning as, say NOD32 but then again not many AV´s are :)
    It has found some simple viruses I planted on the drive, but that is about it I can say about detection. It got good rating at AV- comparatives though.
    If my bank would give me Norman for free I would absolute take it.

*edit* Woohoo! now that you mentioned it I remembered that my bank actually offers a free key from Norman. It´s only for one year, but thats ok I rarely use AV´s more than a year anyway :)

Last edited: Jun 18, 2007
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.