Norman Antivirus - anybody use?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Durad, Sep 9, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Durad

Durad Registered Member

Any news from this company?

Did not see Norman topics for a long time, any newso_O

2. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

I was using it but since they have crappy design of their On-Access scanner i just removed it. Sandbox was just missing all the stuff on-access when by on-demand it was detected. I need full on-access scanner damn it, not the one that has Sandbox and doesn't make use of it. Hopefully it will be working this way in v6. Otherwise i'd avoid it. But in general they seem to improve it.
    Updates are much more regular. And it scored pretty well on latest AV-comparatives.org. On the other hand it was quiet crappy on retrospective test considering how much they market their proactive Sandbox engine. avast! without any heuristics almost caught it. So they really have to work some more on it.

3. Chubb

Chubb Registered Member

Beta testing Norman 6 is really disappointing. Very little new features, and the firewall is just a basic firewall with little allowable configurations, although the UI has been revamped. Response from beta support is shocking!!! They replied to me one month after I have submitted my findings!!! :( :isay: o_O :cautious:

Norman had very good detection rates some years ago, but had been lagging behind these few years.

4. Firefighter

Firefighter Registered Member

Actually Norman VC was the 6:th within single engined av:s (Vba32 excluded) against those nasties added AFTER the 02-2006 test in the Av-Comparatives test 08-2006. In my mind those new nasty ones are most important to detect. So it beated McAfee and F-Prot clearly.

Best regards,
    Firefighter!

5. Mascot

Mascot Registered Member

I uninstalled Norman (I got "free" licenses from both my bank and my ISP) for two reasons. There's a significant delay between hitting shutdown and the dialog for shutting down popping up. It also does something odd to net connections. For example, I have a media center that maps a drive on my fileserver. Norman would sometimes happily sever this connection mid-movie. Even if it didn't do that, after watching something, just changing folder on the mapped drive would take ages (reauthenticating and what not I suppose).

But by far the worst effect of this behaviour was that unless I clicked around on the mapped drive to make sure it was accessible before shutting down, it would prevent the box from shutting down. It would just hang on closing network connections.

I tested on several machines and it was the same on all, so Norman got the never-again uninstall from me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.