Noob question

Discussion in 'General Returnil discussions' started by mick92z, Oct 17, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mick92z

mick92z Registered Member

Hello all, I am a massive Sandboxie fan. I have the paid version.I have it set fairly tight, forced folders,restricted internet access, etc.
    I have never used returnil,but like the sound of it. I can't quite understand how it works.
    Is returnil automatically 'on' when you switch the pc on, if so how would my antivirus update ?

With Sandboxie, you can 'recover' files, how would you do this with Returnil and SB. Do you recover it from SB first, then from Returnil ?

If Returnil was on, and I recieved an email, after reboot, would that email vanish ?

The thing is, my main concern, is when my wife and children use the pc in my abscence. Last week my wife accidently ' recovered ' several pdf documents fron the sandbox onto the desktop, so i now feel an extra layer of defence might be needed.

Also I see Returnil has a virus guard, can this be turned off, this seems a bit unecessary.I already have Avira premium

I thank you for any advice, but would appreciate it,if you kept it very simple (an idiots guide ) as my wife says

Cheers

Last edited: Oct 17, 2009
  2. philby

philby Registered Member

Hello mick92z

It's only on at boot if you tick the option to have Returnil start up with Windows. For the AV, you would have to move the location of where your product stores it's signatures to a non-system partition (ie not C:\) so that regular updates are not lost after reboot. AFAIK, you would also have to switch protection off to update the AV to new versions.

Yes, you'd recover from Sandboxie, but change the recovery folder iin SB settings to a non-system partition if you're sure the download is a keeper.

Yes, if you're using a mail client with the data file on your system drive. However, you can move the data file, eg Outlook's pst to a non-sytem partition and mails will not be lost on reboot.

The above answers refer to the free version - life is a little easier with the Lux version as you can save to wherever you want by adding destinations to a list inside Returnil (File Manager).

If you're worried about what they are accidentally downloading, why not set up limited user accounts for them? Or create for them their own designated Sandboxes with different recover options and encourage them to us them. At least then anything bad that they inadvertently save won't, in theory, be able to damage your system.

HTH

philby

3. mick92z

mick92z Registered Member

Philby, many thanks for your quick, and very informative answers. I really appreciate it. I now have a better understanding of Returnil.The advice about Sandboxie recovery options was invaluable, an excellent idea. Thank you once more. :)

Last edited: Oct 17, 2009
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.