None Partition issue

Discussion in 'Acronis Disk Director Suite' started by recluse8912, Oct 14, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. recluse8912

recluse8912 Registered Member

I went to reinstall Windows, and when asked to pick a hard drive, i chose my H: which has very important data on it. Then it told me I had to reformat it. Not sure why because it was working just fine before I started the Windows Setup. I stopped the installation, rebooted, and now my drive is screwed up. I included some screenshots of all the information I could collect. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!
    http://www.gotmeth.net/hd1.jpg
    http://www.gotmeth.net/hd2.jpg

2. nuljet

nuljet Registered Member

Tried using DD's Partition Recovery?
    Refer to manual for instructions.

3. recluse8912

recluse8912 Registered Member

When I do a partition recovery, it doesn't find any problems on that hard drive. I'm beginning to freak out now. Is there something I'm not doing?

4. nuljet

nuljet Registered Member

Maybe, just maybe, only the partition table was changed, and none of your data was actually touched. Maybe.
    I would have hope that DD's Recovey Expert would have worked and repaired the partition table. But maybe the damage went further.

Maybe other tools could help also.

If there's no other answers from Acronis or other users here and elsewhere, another possible way is TestDisk: http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk
    It's a free tool, but a command-line tool, not user-friendly.
    Read instructions/informations/documentation well.
    If any question, ask them.
    And of course, use at your own risk.

Good luck.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2006
  5. Wber

Wber Registered Member

Your screenshot shows the partition H as a FAT16 file system with a size of 128 GB.
    This seems to me to exceed what a FAT16 partition could support!
    This might be the reason of your trouble.

6. Wber

Wber Registered Member

The partition table seems to be OK but the file system/data might be altered on the partition.

What was the file system on H before you tried to reinstall Windows?

You have unallocated space on the disk so you could create an new partition with the same type/file system partition H had before it became corrupted.
    Create some data on this new partition and tried to reinstall windows on it following the same steps you did for doing this job on H.
    Perhaps you'll see what was wrong in the previous process and if this new partition becomes corrupted you'll be able to test some recovery tools on it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.