non-working keyboard in DOS mode...

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by cybertron, Aug 8, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cybertron

cybertron Registered Member

I'm using Ti8 and i created a bootable CD to recover an image. First off i must say, this software ROCKS! It was able to pickup my network card and allow me to browse computers, but I cant type in a username and password lol....

The problem is that the keyboard doesnt apear to work at all. No num lock or caps lock. I was using a KVM but now i have taken the keyboard and plugged it in directly but no dice. Also, i used another machine and got the same problem.

Any takers on this one? i know its somewhat bizarr, so i dont know if anyone can help or not.

Thanks in advance.

2. cybertron

oops, it actually looks like a linux varient rather than dos.

3. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

I am useing a USB keyboard and it will not work in dos mode. Actually I don't believe usb works in dos at all

4. cybertron

yea, i would have guessed that usb wouldnt work, but my usb mouse works. my keyboard is PS2 just for the record.

5. bigc73542

Interesting o_O

6. Devinco

Devinco Registered Member

Hi BigC,
    USB keyboards do work in DOS.
    I don't have ATI, but in your BIOS, there should be a setting like legacy USB support or legacy USB keyboard support. It helped me use a DOS util with a USB keyboard. If all else fails, you could use an old PS-2 keyboard. XP will work even with 2 keyboards plugged in.

Hi cybertron,
    As you've tried it with two different computers and removed the KVM, it would appear to be the problem is a bad keyboard.
    Does the keyboard work once windows is loaded? All keys or just some? (open notepad and test)
    Power down the computer and unplug the PS-2 keyboard connector.
    If you plug/unplug a PS-2 connector while powered on, there is a chance you will damage the PS-2 section of the motherboard.
    Look at the pins on the end of the connector, are any bent?
    Are the pins clean? (not usually a problem unless they are REALLY dirty)
    Plug it back in. Make sure it's in the keyboard PS-2 port and not the mouse PS-2 port. The plug is polarized and will only go in one way.
    (Sorry if this is obvious, I don't want to make assumptions and then miss the basics)
    See if it still doesn't respond. If it does, it may be an intermittant connection in the Motherboard PS-2 connector or keyboard cable.
    Has any liquid been spilled in it recently?
    Any 3 year olds around? They are capable of pounding a perfectly good keyboard into submission.
    If you have another keyboard, try it out, if it works then you've isolated the problem (unless it is intermittant).

HTH

7. bigc73542

Devinco I appreciate the info but since I have had xp the need for dos has never come up.

8. TheQuest

TheQuest Registered Member

Hi, bigc73542

You do not say if you use Ti, BigC

But if you do you would need it for a BootDisk Recovery. ;)

Or to do a repair with your XP_CD, or ReInstall of OS. :eek:

Take Care,
    TheQuest :cool:

9. bigc73542

don't use it. I use a different one.

10. Meugen

Meugen Guest

Cybertron,

Keyboards not working once you load the linux kernel is a known issue, they still haven't managed to fix it though. Maybe next build...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.