Non-Virus Scorecard

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by GaryRW, Jun 3, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GaryRW

GaryRW Registered Member

Thought I'd start a thread specifically about NOD32's non-virus capabilities like adware, spyware, riskware, trojans, etc. What's the "field" reporting with 2.5? Is NOD32's mission to eventually negate the need for other scanners like Adaware and Spybot?

2. Stephanos G.

Stephanos G. Registered Member

I think that the vision is to capture any dangerous 'thing' that tries to 'knock' the door of our pc.
    dangerous: anything that can cause a damage.

3. GaryRW

GaryRW Registered Member

There is much to be admired in minimizing duplicate scanning wear-n-tear by multiple products by consolidating the features into one product. I think the overall category of "threatware" is a good move by Eset, not that it isn't being tried by others.

4. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

imho, a layed approach to security is best and nod32 sholdnt be used as a replacement for dedicated antispyware. often times one company may make a good AV but another may make better FWs.

5. dvk01

dvk01 Global Moderator

As I understand it NOD will detect many spywares/adwares etc and more each update

It won't replace adaware/spybot etc as some of the items they target NOD won't

The specific adware programs like adaware & spybot etc will always detect and remove more than an antivirus because of the way that the programs work,

Nod & most other av's don't remove all registry entries from spywares etc jut the important ones, the same withthe files. Nod will remove all the active files that are capable of infecting the computer all .exe and dll files but will ignore non infecting files like gifs, jpgs html text etc associated with the pest whereas adawre & spybot will remove many of those as well

6. GaryRW

GaryRW Registered Member

1. So, is anybody seeing any non-virus threatware being caught?

7. dvk01

dvk01 Global Moderator

Yes

Not as much as I would like to see removed but that does take time as the non virus threats like adware/spyware take a lot of analysing and work

and due to the massive increase of mytob and other fast spreading worms etc around which are very dangerous, quite rightly NOD & other AV's are concentrating on the dangerous threats first and include the annoying but not so dangerous ones afterwards

I wish they and the other AV's could do it all instantly but there just aren't enough trained virus analysts to do that

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.