non technical description of Consolidation process

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by superdoug3, Aug 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. superdoug3

superdoug3 Registered Member

I have searched Knowledge Base, Forums, Acronis Help and I am STILL not sure what Consolidation will look like physically. I can wait for a couple of weeks and view the results of my consolidation or is there a non-technical description of what Consolidation will leave me as far as data goes.
    Also is "consolidation" very accurate, for example how does it handle renaming of a file I presume both files will remain around.

My example
    I have a Folder called DAILY which has 7 increments followed by a "consolidation". On day 9 (the one extra needed to trigger) will I be left with 1 consolidated file ready to start the incrementation process again at increment #1. Is there a way to keep multiple versions of the consolidated file or do I have to have a folder for WEEKLY and MONTHLY. That is, for a file called "user docs" in the DAILY folder will I only have at the most 7 files if I set my consolidation at 7 increments. My veiw is that with consolidation set at 7, I will have 8 increments, then the next day I will have just 1 consolidated file with no increments. The user manual seems to indicated that I will always have 7 increments, it talks about slices and that is good for those in the know, but not for me.

2. bodgy

bodgy Registered Member

Consolidation will combine images 1 ..... 9 into image 1a and then perform the scheduled task.

So if the original sequence is:

Orig FULL
    Orig inc2,inc3,inc4,inc5,inc6,inc7,inc8

Orig Inc9 is next so , FULL + inc2...8 become

Orig FULL_1 and then inc9 is imaged as inc_1(1)

3. superdoug3

almost complete clear as usual Colin. Just one question,
    in your example would I be left with
    FULL and FULL_1 and FULL_1(+) i.e the Original FULL and a new FULL_1 and the new increment to FULL_1 this would imply that I do not need both a DAILY and a WEEKLY folder as FULL and FULL_1 become my weeklys

4. bodgy

bodgy Registered Member

As I reread my post, I knew exactly which bit I'd left out :)

The orginal FULL and inc's are deleted and replaced by the FULL_1 and inc_1(1).

5. superdoug3

Colin, thank you so much, I can finish off my backup plan now

6. superdoug3

RESOLVED

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.