Nokia tragedy: Elop’s treason

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Pinga, Nov 19, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pinga

Pinga Registered Member

http://www.mobile-review.com/articles/2012/birulki-176-en.shtml

2. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

There was an article somewhere about Nokia having give the new "Jolla" company a truck load of cash, and another article talking about their "backup plan" for Windows Phone. If you believe that WP is all they care about, you're clearly mistaken. They enough sense to have a backup plan.

Also:
    http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-11-19/nokia-gains-on-reports-that-lumia-sells-out-in-germany.html

3. NGRhodes

NGRhodes Registered Member

They may have a backup plan, but do they currently have a backup-product ?

4. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

I don't understand why this continues. I have had a Lumia 900 and now a 920 and they are the best phones I have ever handled.

5. NGRhodes

NGRhodes Registered Member

I had a different experience... but the issue is IMHO that at launch WP7 was weak and required lots of updates to get near Android/iOS and by then the market had dismissed WP7 as an also ran. With MS not having a good record of maintaining their phone platforms people are now very skeptical of WP8.

6. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

Fair enough.

7. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

They were a company that made their own OS's. They were making a transition, and had problems with execution, which seemed to be a temporary thing - Meego a new product, Meltemi a new product, Symbian being changed, all with a clear and in my opinion very good strategy.

All 3 OS's would share software, Qt for instance, so they were going to reduce operating costs in the medium term.

And they had products with differentiating features, that WP can't even support - and that's only normal, because they are not Nokia. That's another winner they had. Since they developed both software and hardware, everything was in tune. A new hardware feature could be supported in software, different teams but same company.

All the R&D, money invested, and Nokia was the leader. No sight of being caught or surpassed.

Elop switched to an unfinished OS, from an unreliable third party, which wasn't even in the map on mobile phones.

Now Nokia has nothing going for them, except prayer. They sell a phone with an OS with a tiny market share, and they're one of many. Even Samsung sells those. As opposed to being the biggest player, with their own product.

Backup plan?

8. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

They were a company that made their own OS's. They were making a transition, and had problems with execution, which seemed to be a temporary thing - Meego a new product, Meltemi a new product, Symbian being changed, all with a clear and in my opinion very good strategy.

All 3 OS's would share software, Qt for instance, so they were going to reduce operating costs in the medium term.

And they had products with differentiating features, that WP can't even support - and that's only normal, because they are not Nokia. That's another winner they had. Since they developed both software and hardware, everything was in tune. A new hardware feature could be supported in software, different teams but same company.

All the R&D, money invested, and Nokia was the leader. No sight of being caught or surpassed.

Elop switched to an unfinished OS, from an unreliable third party, which wasn't even in the map on mobile phones.

Now Nokia has nothing going for them, except prayer. They sell a phone with an OS with a tiny market share, and they're one of many. Even Samsung sells those. As opposed to being the biggest player, with their own product.

Thousands employees fired - competent, qualified and hard working - assets sold.

Backup plan?

9. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

Slap whatever Jolla come up with onto the 920? ^^

You'll forgive me for avoiding "discussion" with the man who started his own thread for Nokia hate, and sat in it all by himself, preaching to himself, until it was finally closed because he didn't get the hint.

10. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

Nokia hate? You "misunderstand" me, i have always been a Nokia customer, and a fan.

You come across as a tad aggressive, if you thought i was being too, i apologise.

"discussion", preaching to himself, get the hint...
    I remember now, sometimes i forget. You're that guy. Never mind.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.