Nod's strange (unfair) selling policies

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by bandi, Sep 24, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bandi

bandi Registered Member

I am a registered user of nod32. But why I am obliged to buy my nod32 password and user name in my country (Italy) where nod costs much more than in other countries ? Anyway what are this price differences from country to country to obtain exactly the same product?
    I am seriously thinking about changing my antivirus for this unfair selling policies.:mad:

2. webyourbusiness

webyourbusiness Registered Member

because if you want support in your local language, it's easier, and then the person who gets the revenue stream from your license gets the expense of your support. It's logical really.

3. bandi

bandi Registered Member

The thing that I do not like is that I have no choice: i am obliged to buy in my country even if I do not need (or want) support from my local vendor.
    Anyway I always had all the support that I needed here on this forum...:)

4. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

couldnt u just buy nod32 from another country and come here for support?

5. ASM

ASM Registered Member

Hi bandi,

I live in SEA (Southeast Asia), I know I can buy it from certain Hong Kong site or local store but I still get my NOD32 and the renewal from webyourbusiness. I feel more comfortable getting product/service from webyourbusiness, and I come here to read forum at least twice a week.:) As WSFuser suggested, come here and get the support, there are always people here to assist.

6. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

You should take into account the local average sallary. For instance, there are poor countries where the average sallary is very low, and nobody could afford it if the price was the same as in the US, let's say.

7. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

Hehe, in my country the local distributor charges noticeably more than the USA price for NOD32, even though I live in a developing nation where salaries are quite low compared to USA and Japan.....

In the end its the distributor's choice. If he wants more money, he'll impose a higher price, end of story.

8. Brian N

Brian N Registered Member

Gotta love huge taxes...
    I would buy from a U.S. reseller in a heartbeat, just like I do with all my other software if I had the option to do so.

9. aigle

aigle Registered Member

It,s simply radiculous.

10. webyourbusiness

averages mean almost nothing when you have vast differences between relatively prosperous metropitan areas and much poorer rural areas.

I think that I'm relatively rich when I visit family in Montana, and when I visit New York I feel like a pauper... so national averages don't really mean that much imo.

11. aigle

aigle Registered Member

But for a comparison u have to just look at average values. No other way I feel.

12. steve1955

steve1955 Registered Member

Basically they charge what they can get away with charging!You should be able to buy at a fixed price no matter where you are in the world,if that is too expensive for some countries the global price should be reduced to something that is affordable,as for saying "we provide local support" get real:-isn't the internet Global(and 24/7!)?how much support does anybody need.??
    To be honest with most purchases made via the net,why do we need "local resellers" anyway?(if the support they provided was as good as needed,why is this forum so busy??)

13. webyourbusiness

Once you do away with your support for local businesses, your local economy falls to pieces.

14. steve1955

good enough reason for ripping people off then!!!!!!!!

15. Coldmoon

Coldmoon Returnil Moderator

Hello bandi,
    One of the major reasons people in different countries pay different prices for their products is the fact that different countries require different tax rates. I am not sure what the current VAT rate is for Italy (20% ?), but this can cause a significant price difference that companies must charge to remain in compliance with the law. This variation in VAT/TAX rates also adds complication and thus cost to the companies doing business internationally.

The next issue to duscuss is that of base currency and exchange rates. Most companies will establish a base price in a specific currency for their products. In some cases several price models are created depending on the company's major market(s) and a desired Optimzation of some variable or variables in the model (Maximization of revenues, Profits, number of units sold, etc).

The choice of base currancy and price will only hold steady in that base currency and as a result prices will fluxuate in other currencies due to the exchange rate. These exchange rates can vary several times a day and can be either a boon (the relative value of your native currency rises compared to the base price of the product you are interested in thus making the product cheaper to you) or bust (when the opposite happens).

16. bandi

bandi Registered Member

The italian price for nod is 45+IVA (VAT) and the renewal is 36+IVA, so it's simply too expensive with or without VAT...

17. Coldmoon

Hello steve1955,
    In my previous reply I talked about how prices can vary and I believe that I have provided a basis for then discussing your objection to local resellers.

Local resellers provide an essential service to their customer base and the companies they partner with. The reseller knows his/her customers, can purchase the products that they sell at a discounted rate and can provide their customers with discounts that may not be available from the company if purchased directly (whether this is profit sharing with the customer or the ability to "trade" VAT rates because they are a business). They can also open new markets for products that the company would not be able to do on it own.

You need to be careful when looking at a single subset of the overall ammount of support requests and/or activity on a product support forum. Forums are fishbowls that will tend to spotlight discussions that may or may not be common. Also you will see discussions that seem to be unresolved or "hanging" when the issue in reality has been resolved.

Another problem with public forums involves time and substance. There may be a long period between questions and a reply. Also there will be people (not associated with the company) replying with no or bad information. This does not indicate a lack of support, rather it highlights the difficulties any product support staff can encounter while trying to understand the support request itself and providing the person with the most appropriate answers and instructions.

18. steve1955

You sound like a politician defending some indefensible policy!you a reseller?

19. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

Reading this thread I see people talking about re-sellers. I bought my copy from the Eset web site in the U.S. So if I were in a different country and accessed the same Eset site, downloaded and installed the same Nod32, are you saying the price could be different than the price I paid? If so, I don't understand the reason. The transaction is done electronically and there is no differance in overhead if any that I can figure.

20. steve1955

This is what I mean,there should be no dif its an electronic transaction!:-They charge what they can get away with(or what we let them get away with!)

21. Coldmoon

Hello steve1955,
    No, I am not a reseller, but value their contributions and expertise and have worked with them for many years. They offer resources and access to resources that a company alone may not be able to support on its own.

22. beethoven

beethoven Registered Member

I purchased a copy from Blackspear, a local reseller in Australia. When I need assistance, I do come to this forum and many posters here are very supportive. One of the posters is Blackspear who seems to be always around to provide advice on this forum. While I am not living in his neck of the woods and am unlikely to wander into his shop, I am sure he is doing a great job supporting the people buying locally from him. Just because he and other resellers also offer their time and assistance free of charge in this forum, does not mean we cannot support them in exchange. ;)

23. Coldmoon

twl845,
    The pricing that will be displayed for the purchase of software on-line is dependent upon where you live and the company (or its designee -> resellers, E-Commerce provider(s), etc) must ensure that all required VAT/TAXES are paid. The company has no choice in the ammount of VAT charged as this is stipulated by the law of the country in question and/or applicable international treaty.

24. steve1955

Where do you go for support if you need it outside "office hours" you dont use the internet do you? rather than resellers I would like to see a much wider network of Eset employed "salaried agents" globally,that were fully trained(by Eset)that sell to ANYWHERE in the world,in any language (if needed to ease server loads)at a standard price(!!)which could offer local(same language) support if that was also needed,rather than semi-independent resellers that sell at a price they feel they can get away with, and what support training are resellers forced to undergo?

25. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

Let me reveal that in my country, the pricing is more than the US price, and that too for just a license key - no box, no physical shipment of any sort. You pay much more than the USA price for a license key delivered to your email ID + some technical support. The pricing was solely decided by the retailer to be competitive with the going rate for Symantec and McAfee products. If the McAfee Internet Security costs so much, NOD will cost a bit less than that, or so goes the policy.

When there is no physical shipment, things like shipment taxes and the like do not apply (at least in my country they dont). Which is why I find this unfair. Eset should have a strict control over its distributors and resellers regarding the pricing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.