nod32's imon crashes firefox (or so I think)

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by leland_sabon, Dec 17, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. leland_sabon

leland_sabon Registered Member

Hi,

Just installed a trial version of nod32 to replace mcafee which used
    too many resources (caused weird pauses on my system - a t42p).

When imon is enabled, firefox just won't work. Resource usage spikes, pages don't load after firefox opens, and I need to shut it via the task manager. I've tried disabling the http scanning, changing compatability modes, repairing winsock, but no dice.

Can anyone help? It's fine to tell me to switch to KAV. I'd prefer to
    stick with NOD32 - it seems very trim, and I like that. I just want
    that imon to work. It seems important enough to use. If I can't get it
    working soon, I guess I can try out KAV, which is resource-heavy, but
    perhaps won't cause the resource spikes that Mcafee did.

Thanks.

I've also had troubles with updates, but I see in another thread here that's just the trial version that has a "dumb" updater. Will it also update the engine over the next month for me?

2. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

leland_sabon

I am using FF 1.0 and don't have the problem you are describing.

I would make sure any other antivirus is completely removed from your system before using NOD.

If you are positive all other antiviruses are removed, we will have to look elsewhere for the problem.

3. jayt

jayt Registered Member

I am using Firefox with Nod32 (have been for several months) and have no problems. In fact most of Firefox is running in the higher efficiency mode. I too think that perhaps something else is causing your problem. I suppose you could do some detective work by uninstalling Nod32, deleting the Eset program folder and removing all traces of Nod32 in the registry, and then downloading and reinstalling Nod32 and see if you have the same problem. Or you could uninstall Firefox, remove your profile, remove traces in the registry, and download and re-install Firefox. If neither fixes your problems, someone else from the forum might have a suggestion.
    Mcafee can be hard to remove.
    http://ts.mcafeehelp.com/?siteID=1&resolution=1024x768
    Look for "how do I uninstall.....

Also, what version of Nod32 are you using? What version of Firefox are you using? (one of the earlier preview versions had a problem with memory leakage).

Last edited: Dec 17, 2004
  4. richrf

richrf Registered Member

Hi leland_sabon,

I am using primarily using KAV 4.5 as my real-time with NOD32 as my backup, but now and then I do activate NOD32 real-time. I had some problems with Firefox in the past, but it seems to be O.K. nowadays.

My configuration is:

1) Windows XP SP2, 512K, 2.2mh with the XP firewall turned off.
    2) Firefox 1.0 (latest version)
    3) ZoneAlarm Pro

You probably need something like regseeker to completely clean you machine of McAfee remnants, though if McAfee is active, it really shouldn't affect anything.

Maybe if you give your configuration, including any resident AVs or ATs, it might help isolating the problem. I can actually run NOD32 IMON alongside KAV 4.5, but I do not since I do not download any email.

Rich

5. leland_sabon

I was running mcafee 8. I'll see if there are any additional remove tools. I did a quick check and it got rid of the directory, which was surprising.

I'm running firefox 1.0 w/ a fair number of extensions. I have a decent amount of processes running at once, so it's pretty tough to say where a conflict is.

The nod32 version is simply the trial version that was on the site two days ago. I can download it again today, but I doubt it's different.

BTW, will the trial update the engine components, too?

Is there a removal tool for nod32 that will help me get rid of all the traces so I can do a fresh reinstall?

6. richrf

richrf Registered Member

Hi,

My best guess at the moment is that it may be one of the Firefox extensions. You might want to try one of the following:

1) Run a basic version of Firefox w/o extensions and see if you have the same problems.

2) Inactivate, IMON and see what happens. As I understand it, IMON is only useful if you download email, which I do not do.

3) Try cleaning your registry - but do so carefully. I have found regseeker to be quite reliable though others have reported problems. Before I cleaned my registry, I asked some knowledgeable people on this forum the meaning of the entries. Most were either unknown file paths or Active X entries, all of which were safe to delete. If you run regseeker, I think you will be surprised at how much junk software programs leave behind.

This is the order that I would approach the problem - but I would do everything slowly, especially any registry cleaning.

7. ShunterAlhena

ShunterAlhena Registered Member

My opinion:
    Before NOD32, I tried a lot other AVs. I had Panda Antivirus Titanium 2004 installed on the machine. After it's uninstallation and Nod32's installation, several applications like TCPIP Services or svchost would crash upon startup and symptoms like yours were observed. It turned out that pavlsp.dll was left in winsock. After purging it (with SP2 builtin command line options) the system became so unstable that i had to reinstall. Now, as it was installed on a perfectly clean system Nod32 runs smoothly.

Point is: anomalies are caused by, presumably, the remains of the former antivirus.

8. leland_sabon

Here's the config. Mcafee was completely cleaned using the uninstall tool, I checked the registry and it was empty. I'm very impressed. I really liked Mcafee 8.0i except for the occasional system pause.

Here's most of what's running (out of 69 processes):

• *T42P w/ 1 gb RAM, fast processor, big HD, blah blah
      *Win XP SP 2
      *Windows firewall
      *Office 2003 w/ Outlook over a VPN
      *Firefox 1.0 w/ a decent number of extensions (15 or so - mostly tabbed browsing)
      *Trillian 2 (paid version)
      *Filezilla (ftp) server
      *IBM access connections
      *Tons of other IBM thinkpad junk
      *Java JRE/SDK (latest)
      *Ultramon
      *Handy Backup
      *Spybot S&D (resident)
      *Daemon-Tools

Nod32 works fine w/o Imon enabled. I'd prefer to have it scanning email, though. It does scan when I use exchange, right?

So, what's the advice - uninstall and reinstall?

Should I try any specific way of setting up imon? There are a lot of threads here with various setup tricks - seems like witch-doctoring to me and I must say it's putting me off the program a bit.

If not, I'll probably try out KAV to see how that works.

Thanks for the help.

9. ShunterAlhena

ShunterAlhena Registered Member

/I am in no way affiliated with Eset or Nod32./ You definitely should try a reinstall before turning away from Nod. Nod32 DOES work. Without witch-doctoring. And yes, IMON should scan any downloaded file, including those coming in from Exchange servers. (There is an EMON module as well. Watch out when you install Nod: the setup asks if you want to install Exchange monitor. I'm unsure however if the module is meant for the client side or not, i never used it.)

10. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

Have you tried seeing if Firefox is set to Higher Compatibility, as per screen shot.

Nod32 is very configurable, makes it good for beginners, and even better for the advanced user. I have made a thread here on tweaking Nod32.

Hope this helps...

Cheers :D

Attached Files:

11. leland_sabon

Yep, it's set on higher compatibility.

Been too busy today to tackle much of this - will try again Monday (this is a work machine).

12. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

With this issue can you please send an email to support@nod32.com and place a link to this thread. If you do not hear from Eset within 3 days (allows for weekends), please advise us here...

We would appreciate if you could keep us in the loop with your progress, as we all learn this way…

Cheers :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.