NOD32 within Vista

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by katy98, Sep 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. katy98

katy98 Registered Member

Hi, I and a few others are curious about the antivirus scan results that mention 'User does not have administrator privileges. The anti-Stealth technology is working in limited mode.'

Could someone explain what this means and how this limits the virus scan capability if at all? I don't 'always' get this messages, but occassionally.

TIA for your help!! (I could not find a post regarding this via Search)

katy

2. jayt

jayt Registered Member

I cannot answer your specific questions, but if you right click Nod32 and click on "run as administrator" you will not get these messages. You can right click on the Nod32 you will see in your programs that are listed when you click on the Vista icon (used to be the start button).

3. Manny Carvalho

Manny Carvalho Registered Member

4. joel406

joel406 Registered Member

You should do several things when first setting up Vista.

1 is you should disable the UAC.

2 is you should take full ownership of every volume on the system and then check that you have full control set for each volume as well.

I have run NOD32 on x86 systems and am now running Vista x64 with none of the issues you are having.

5. Kielty

Kielty Registered Member

6. 37morris8

37morris8 Registered Member

============================================================
    XP all so need Administrator to fix, most AntiVirus but scan ok not fix virus OK

7. Hangetsu

Hangetsu Registered Member

I don't know if I would recommend disabling UAC, not at all.

8. NOD32 user

NOD32 user Registered Member

Hi Kielty,

It may be that the account you log in with is an Administrator account but if you have UAC enabled then regardless when you launch any application in the normal way it will not have the same privelidge by default. That is why it is neccessary to right click and choose run as admin and then allow the process in the uac dialogue that this triggers.

See the response by agoretsky to your question at post #15

Cheers :)

9. Kielty

Kielty Registered Member

agoretsky had the wrong idea of the issue. This occurs only when you scan from the context menu. There is no way to raise priviledges. Example - If you right click a folder or file and then scan for viruses with NOD32 the anti stealth technology works in limited mode. The only way is to disable UAC to get this to work properly. This is a NOD32 issue.

Regards

10. NOD32 user

OK, we're speaking of the context menu. Obviously right click is not an option.
    How would you propose it is a NOD32 issue that Vista UAC restricts the permissions of a launched process? That restriction is the cause of the issue and a deliberate feature of UAC...

Unless Vista has some mechanism whereby a context menu item can be set to always run as an administrator in a similar way to a desktop shortcut - even then with UAC enabled a dialogue would be presented every time you launch a scan via that method...

11. Kielty

Kielty Registered Member

It's a NOD32 issue as every other AV i have ever tried on vista when scanning from the context menu does not restrict any of its scanning options. Therefore it stands to reason that the NOD32 code is at fault...

12. NOD32 user

That would seem to stand to reason - as far as I know NOD32 is still the only solution with intergrated Anti-Stealth Technology...
    We could say that each comparable function operates the same with or without administrator privelidges much like you have observed with other products.

13. Kielty

Kielty Registered Member

Most AV's have Anti-stealth technology or anti-rootkit whatever you prefer to call it. KAV, Norton, F-Secure etc. and i have tried them. None of them decide to not scan for rootkits just because you have initiated the scan from the context menu...

14. NOD32 user

Maybe.

At least you know that NOD32 transparently informs you of the status. You will find many posts throughout the NOD32 forum where persons who were used to the behaviour of other products have complained that NOD32 reported it could not scan inside locked files also... Only to discover that the diffence is nothing more than NOD32 bothers to inform the user of such things.

15. joel406

joel406 Registered Member

Disable the UAC.

It nothing but a pain. If you want to have any real control over your system.

XP had 0 UAC and nobody cared and Microsoft never saw fit to add it.

If you follow those 3 things I originally said to do NOD32 should'nt give ou any problems.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.