NOD32 with Integrated Firewall and Antispam?

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by fosius, Aug 12, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Notok

Notok Registered Member

They did mention some time ago that the "license managment" section would probably be for Kerio, among others, so I guess we'll see. I could use a good spam filter, but not firewall.. as long as they can be left out during install I'll be happy.. I've already got LnS, and there are 3 other programs on my system right now that plan to implement firewalls as well. I plan on sticking w/ LnS :)

Me too..

2. SuiteHater

SuiteHater Guest

How do you figure? Can you name one company that has offered better products or service, including customer support, as it got bigger? It seems to me just the opposite--the small companies offer the best support, and once they start growing (sometimes even a little bit), they throw all their resources into what they think will make them the most cash.

In this case, I expect that Eset will put most of their development resources into the new suite, and the standalone AV product will go mostly ignored. Then, when they have 5,000 more customers than they do now, they'll hire some big-shot idiot (if they don't have one already) who will decide that the best balance of customer service is one where a typical response is in the form of what I call the "Symantec copy-and-paste", and even that will take three days.

Yeah, three cheers for "progress". Who really needs a separate spam utility? Seriously. I use Thunderbird's filters, and it works well. But I guess if you are totally careless with your email address, you need all the help you can get. Spam filters suck anyway. I wish I had a dollar for every time some idiot lost track of an email I'd sent, because it was inadvertently trapped in (or even deleted by) his malfunctioning spam filter.

If anything, Eset should make NOD32 into a combined AV/HIPS utility. But of course that won't happen, because HIPS aren't the "Idiot Du Jour" yet.

3. SuiteHater

SuiteHater Guest

Oh come on now--NOD32 is far, far from mainstream. It isn't about making the best or even the most-appealing product; it is about cash. Obviously. You have to offer what people are interested in buying. And since most people don't know a firewall from a fire ant, they go for suites.

4. SuiteHater

SuiteHater Guest

Faith, as in "belief without evidence"? No thanks; not me.

5. SuiteHater

SuiteHater Guest

I've found more bugs in LNS than I do under most large rocks. Not to mention its pathetic SPI and terrible/limited interface. But whatever.

6. vee

vee Registered Member

@SuiteHater
    I hope you will sleep better now tonight ;)...

regards,
    vee

7. controler

controler Guest

Question?

Is working at the kernel level with a driver the way of the future?

If you answered yes, then you also KNOW by now that it is not good to have too many people playing at that level.

If that is true, then wouldn't you rather have one company supply a GREAT suite that does all instead of a half dozen all causing conflicts?

I sure would and I have nothing wrong with some of the newer suites either.

Now on the side note: Who makes the money? You thinking Symantec, now owner of Sygate?

You thinking Mcafee? Currently on the half of corpotare machines Symantec is not on?

You can bet the "corporate" customers get good support ;)

controler

8. Notok

Notok Registered Member

You make a good point, however it's still going to be a second driver for the firewall, etc. But one thing I will mention here is that having too many apps that utilize hooks slows my machine down, so this is another area to consider with your point. I personally will always want to keep some layering, but some consolidation would be welcome as well.

9. Notok

Notok Registered Member

10. piktor

piktor Registered Member

and notice this on the Kerio-website:
    http://www.kerio.com/kwf_home.html

Just lets wait until someone of Eset tells whats going on ... I think they noticed that most of us wants a firewall as an option or a separate program

-piktor-

11. bsilva

bsilva Registered Member

I have to admit... I do not like this idea at all. Could they be the next Norman AV? We used to use them but they started focusing on their firewall and anti-spam an their av became garbage. That's when we moved to NOD32.

12. NGRhodes

NGRhodes Registered Member

Last updated on: 03/18/2005 18:00:01 (btm left of page linked).

Been on the nod site for months.

13. JimIT

JimIT Registered Member

This is a plug in for Kerio's WinRoute firewall, nothing more. I wouldn't read too much into it.

Grisoft, Symantec, eTrust, and Avast!--among others--produce a plug-in for the Kerio WinRoute Firewall.

14. fosius

fosius Registered Member

I admit that I didn't like this idea at all. But if firewall will be as light, fast and good as NOD32 antivirus then I want it!

15. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

NOD32 and Kerio run extremely light on my PC - I hardly feel any performance drop. If Eset does develop a firewall with Kerio's help, then I'm sure its gonna be very light. :)

16. alglove

alglove Registered Member

It sounds like Kerio is going to get sucked into this whether they like it or not. It sounds kind of like a bunch of old ladies talking about their neighbors' children...

"Oh, did you hear? I saw that alglove talking to the grocer's daughter the other day. He's such a nice boy. I wish he would settle down and get married one of these days. blah blah blah blah"

:D

17. Brian N

Brian N Registered Member

haha, it does actually :D

18. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

LMAO :D :D :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.