NOD32 winner best heuristics in this test

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by tuatara, Jun 7, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tuatara

tuatara Registered Member

This is a nice test, here you can see how Virusscanners
    work, if they have to detect virusses that they don't know yet.
    So how proactive they are in detecting new virusses.
    With the increasing speed in which new malware is launched this
    is gettting more and more important.

It is surprising to see here how much some top10 virusscanners depend on their signatures!
    I was shocked to see the results of NOD32 versus Kaspersky!

(Read the whole story her,It is in English:)

http://www.av-comparatives.org/

Last edited: Jun 7, 2005
  2. Unity

Unity Registered Member

3. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Why is AVG on the list where avast! was far better? :doubt:

4. hadi

hadi Guest

5. IBK

IBK AV Expert

Nice to see that peoples read the string: "It is forbidden to provide the tables or results in full or in parts on other sites! Please just refer a link to www.av-comparatives.org" :(
    The direct link will for most people do not work anyway, all what they will see is an error message.

6. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

Try this link.

Cheers :D

7. IBK

IBK AV Expert

Ehm, did I already say that direct links does not work anyway? Go to the main site, click on comparatives and then on the online results that you are looking for.

8. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

That link works ;) :D

9. IBK

IBK AV Expert

deleted. ;)

10. worldcitizen

worldcitizen Registered Member

Mate. Tests are a dime a dozen and mean very little. The only time I ever got hit by a bunch of viruses was when I had NOD32 installed.

Dave

11. Stephanos G.

Stephanos G. Registered Member

It depends and from your surfing habits :D

12. worldcitizen

I always wanted to use NOD 32 but I never figured out why it got attacked. Isn't NOD supposed to protect you from internet threats? So what do you mean by depending on surfing habits because isn't NOD supposed to protect anyway?

Dave

13. Stan999

Stan999 Registered Member

I don't know why you "got attacked" but there could be a number of reasons. I have been running NOD, for over three years, on a game machine used by a bunch of teens who don't always practice safe computing. It has never let anything through.

There isn't an AV that will catch 100% of the infections for all users all the time. Or if you know of one let me know.:)

14. tazdevl

tazdevl Registered Member

My guess is that it wasn't configured properly.

I've got licenses for KAV, MKS, BitDefender, NOD32, Norton, McAfee, AVK... haven't had an infection with KAV/AVK or NOD32.

15. worldcitizen

Stan,

You're dead right mate. I had it configured properly but as you say it was probably just one of those unlucky times that I got infiltrated. It shattered my confidence in the product especially that even parts of the GUI got wiped out. I knew something was wrong so I scanned with NOD and it reported a clean bill of health so I went to Bit Defender online scan and it found about 6 infections & cleaned them.

Apparently NOD got disabled. I rang Eset and they said they had no idea why the GUI and program got destroyed and I got a refund but I would have much preferred that NOD had been fixed against this sort of thing so I can use it again. I understand that now and again with any AV an infection will get in but being able to destroy the AV completely frightened me away from NOD as I haven't had that happen with any AV in 6 years of surfing and I have used at least 10 different AV's for lengthy periods of time. I would still like to use NOD if I know that the program won't get destroyed. I can accept a virus getting in ocassionally as no AV is 100% perfect.

On a good note was that I hadn't had any infiltrations for the previous year but just after renewing my license I got hit really bad and had no other choice but to look around for something else. The lady I spoke to at Eset agreed that if what I said was true she didn't blame me for not wanting to use Eset anymore. Real nice lady she was and I was sorry not to keep NOD but after that experience I just got scared off and haven't had the confidence to try it again. A real pity but maybe they've fixed it or added protection against attacks to disable it. If they've done that I'll consider buying it again.

Dave

16. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

worldcitizen, may I ask when did this infiltration happen? :)

Thanks,
    FC :D

17. worldcitizen

Hi Firecat,

Must be close to a year now but I was hoping that since then major changes had been made to NOD to protect it from being disabled or corrupted so I have wandered in here now and again hoping that something will lead me to give it another try but I want to be sure that this issue has been addressed because I had NOD 32 disabled about 3 times altogether and so far it's been the only AV that that's happened to in my 6 years of surfing. I still think it's a good AV but I'm concerned it seems to get disabled.

Dave

18. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

Have you got names of the malware that was detected? Was it virus or trojan or what? NOD32 has made significant improvement in Trojan detection this year. :)

19. Stan999

Hi Dave,

Sorry to hear about your experence. It sounds like it may have been one of those odd things that caused the problem and your GUI destroyed because I don't see other reports of that happening.

I did note you had posted, "I've just realised that I had disk controller problems at the time I posted about those viruses getting through so it may not have been NOD at all".

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?p=403252#post403252

To put this thread back on topic, from my end NOD's advance heuristics
    are very good and have detected infections prior to some other AVs.
    I like that added layer of proactive detection.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2005
  20. worldcitizen

The controller is a remote possibility but still it may be worth giving it another go as I have a new motherboard now and one never knows. I have heard some pretty bad things about Abit recently and at that time I was using an Abit board but after so many different problems I changed to an Intel board. I now never have shutdown problems or strange things happening anymore such as sirens going off in the morning because the temp dropped below zero. The neighbors used to think the cops had come to my house at 7AM because there was no way to turn the thing off so I got rid of the board.

I don't know what the viruses all were because the online scanner deleted them automatically but I know some trojans were among them as TDS found a RAT.

If I buy NOD again I don't want to use extreme settings that will slow down surfing. I tried a version a few weeks ago and set it up according to someone's instructions here and I could hardly surf and scanning took over an hour so I want protection but as long as the NOD default settings are enough. I'm not too sure about the http scanner - it seemed to slow my surfing down a hell of a lot. Any suggestions?

Dave

21. Stan999

Hi Dave,

I have all the settings at max and don't see any slowdown while surfing.
    No noticable difference surfing with NOD's IMON HTTP scanner enabled or disabled using a 3Mb cable connection.

However, each platform is a bit different.

Also there can be conflicts with other AVs unless they have been completely removed before installing NOD.

22. tuatara

tuatara Registered Member

I can imagine that this happened, all the virusscanners that i use
    and have licenses for (about 40!) miss some virusses often.

In a previous thread, i've said that i think that the top 5 virusscanners
    can catch about 70% of the virusses there are out there (in the wild).

(That is why even a with a top5 virusscanner your system can have serious problems, and i see this almost every day on my customers computers)

And again, testresults are never really independant, you always
    test with a virus/malware set you have choose,
    so any other person in the world can/will have a complete different set
    of malware for his tests (and thus diff. results)

If you want, you can choose you malware set so, that one certain AV will be the best.

And surprising it appears to be very easy for any magazin or software reseller
    to find virusses that are not known at the top10 virusscanners.
    So it is not really difficult to find virusses that the major AV can not find,
    with complete teams that are looking for new ones!

That is something i have never understood ! o_O

What i do like about this test, was the fact that they have tested the heuristics.

But perhaps tomorrow another test can be found, that test the same way,
    with a diff. malware set, and have completely other results.

What i personally hate is when i am testing on my system,
    with lots of malware, that ALL the top10 virusscanners miss so much malware.

But i hope this will be better the coming years....

23. sard

sard Registered Member

I don't think this kind of test is particularly useful.

Yes theoretically NOD32 would catch a virus before other providers release a definition. In practice this is outweighed by companies like KAV being phenomenally good at identifying threats in their labs and quickly releasing definitions. Just look at the 99+% detection rates they get with current definitions for tests conducted by numerous sources.

People forget that a large part of an AVs performance is how good the team behind the scenes is at providing definitions. Until heuristics can match this performance they're just a red herring.

Choose NOD32 because it's very light on resources. Not for the once in a blue moon the heuristics catch something that other providers haven't identified.

I used NOD32 for a year and switched to DrWeb because it missed stuff, After 6 months I am again switching this time to KAV as DrWeb also missed some stuff on my system.

24. Stan999

I consider the test as very useful. It is good to see AVs improving their proactive zero-day heuristics detection. No matter how fast the definitions are released it will always be too late for some folks.

I think KAV is great. However, on my end NOD's AH has stopped potential infections before KAV a number of times. But I still use KAV on one machine and NOD on another to double check.

25. Benvan45

Benvan45 Registered Member

Because for the simple fact, that AVG is not as bad as you 'Experts' want everybody to believe.
    The only scanners promoted here are: Nod32 and Avast!!!!!!!!!!!!

You are an Avast man......great, but when someone asks why Avast is not that highly rated in some test, the answer usually is: " Well, don't pay too much attention to all those tests......."
    Same for Nod32......dare the person who kicks down Nod32, even if recent testresults are not that great, you "Experts" always have an answer.
    When a test is scoring Nod32 as number ONE, it's always referred to......
    I keep repeating: It's not fair and stop selling and pushing your own favorite AV scanners.
    To make a long story short: I'm getting really tired of this pushy talk all the time and log off now.

Goodbye and Good luck!

Putin

Last edited: Jun 8, 2005
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.