NOD32 - Windows Dependent Services

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by pranavrules, Dec 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pranavrules

pranavrules Registered Member

Hello there,

I'm using a very customized and a tweaked version of Windows 7. Call it a 'Lite' version of Windows 7. My version of the OS has a plenty of Windows default services disabled. For a complete list of all my disabled services, please visit:

http://www.blackviper.com/Windows_7/servicecfg.htm

Scroll down and have a look at the 'tweaked' configuration settings of the services. Most of them are set to 'Manual' or 'Disabled'. Now, I tried installing the NOD32 antivirus and it won't complete the setup. I've had this error before (on a different machine) and enabling a few services helped. Please can anyone tell me which services is ESET NOD32 dependent on and which of them need to be running all the time? (Please don't list the ESET NOD32 services like the ekern or whatever, just please specify the Windows Services.) Thank you and please do try replying asap, I'm stuck at this point. Thank you, appreciate it.

Warm Regards,
    Pranav ~

2. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

What was/is the error message? What services did you re-enable in the past when you fixed a similar issue?

3. pranavrules

I actually don't remember what services I enabled to get it working unfortunately. The message that comes up is the usual 'Setup completed prematurely' error that ESET NOD32 churns up in such events.

4. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

That error message doesn't just mean it is because of some services you have disabled although it could well be. Check if event viewer logs is offering any more clues

5. pranavrules

I've had this same problem before. The installation won't work unless some services are enabled. I just wanted to know if ESET NOD32 requires any particular Windows services to be running in the background (for example: Background Intelligent Transfer Service (which is used by Windows to update) and since I don't use Windows update for this particular machine, I've disabled it (following the configuration mentioned on the web-page (link I gave before). )

So, I'm pretty sure it's the only underlying problem that's hampering the installation on this computer.

6. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

You are probably right and from what you are saying have a fair grasp of what is needed for normal Windows operations. It will not take you long to find the correct mix

7. pranavrules

Well, I just needed to know what default services NOD32 requires running before installing. That should help me get rid of this annoying problem in no time. :( Could you please help me find these services?

8. jimwillsher

jimwillsher Registered Member

Try setting all your modified services to automatic but don't actually start them. Then see if the instalaltion works and, if so, which ones have been started.

Jim

9. pranavrules

Hmm, Setting it to automatic, but not starting them.. Does that allow an application like NOD32 to take control of actually 'Starting' them? If that's so, that'd be really cool! Didn't think of that before!! Thanks a million mate! Let me go try it out :)

10. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

And or, post screenshots listing services and the state they are in

11. pranavrules

Okay I set all of the services that I had disabled before on Automatic, but didn't start them. Still no luck, they remained in the 'Stopped' state even after running the installer. And same error occuring 'Premature Installation'. Any help please?

12. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Is Base Filtering Engine service started? Are you able to install other msi packages?

13. jimwillsher

Sorry, was worth a try.

I think the next stage would be a screenshot and/or a list of the services which are NOT in their default state. Looking at the BV list the BFE service might be a candidate?

It's also worth running the .MSI with the /lv parameter to get a verbose log (probably also specify the logfile parameter so you can find the log). That will probably give more info too near the end of the log. It'll probably be the MSI technology that's failing, rather than ESET, and MSI is good for logging.

Jim

14. pranavrules

Bingo!! You the man!!! It worked like a charm!! Woohoo!!! Love you mate!!

15. jimwillsher

Excellent, glad you got it. Marcos and I both hit the right service :)

Jim

16. SmackyTheFrog

SmackyTheFrog Registered Member

These kinds of "tweak guides" really aren't a good idea for reasons exactly like this. Looking through the list of things recommended to be disabled in the "Tweaked" column, the vast majority are things that are set to start up manually. As in they will only run and consume resources if something requests those features, and then stop when they have done their work. So all you get is a broken computer with no reduced footprint.

As for the handful of services that have automatic startup that are recommended to be disabled (Search Indexer, IP Helper, Function Discovery Resource Publication, Distributed Link Tracking Client, Diagnostic Policy Service) these are very good convenience features and you should think long and hard about if you really want them turned off.

As it turns out, Microsoft actually does have people who know what they are doing when they design an OS and mucking around with settings like this without a full understanding of what they do is going to net you a negligible performance difference and a broken computer.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.