nod32 vs dr web??

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by zfactor, Mar 19, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

i am now a happy nod32 user really like the program. i know someone using dr web. i have not ever ran this av and he is asking me why should he switch or should he just stay with what he has. i now myself may be a little biased because i do really like nod. so i need everyone here to give me thier thoughts on this so i can better help him out. like the main differences or issues and detection rates if possible he now can get a discount apperently from dr web for renewal but is considering nod. his dad uses the computer for his business (major attorney HUGE lawfirm) keeps much important data on it while he does back it up frequently does not want any issues. i appreciate it and thank you all in advance.

2. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

Oh no...I remember a NOD32 vs. Dr Web thread...It became a flame thread.

Both programs are very good, but NOD is better at signature database, heuristic engine of both are very good, although Dr.Web may occasionally have false positives.

Regards,
    Firecat

3. Randy_Bell

Randy_Bell Registered Member

No flames intended here at all, but my impression is that Dr. Web has better trojan detection if that is important to you; but you can always supplement your AV with a dedicated AT. ;)

4. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

I guess I'd step back a bit.

If he is a major attorney for a HUGE law firm, I'd expect AV coverage on the machine if it were a firm PC. Check that before doing anything. Even if it doesn't have an AV installed, compatibility with any customized applications should be verified if it's going to sit on a firm LAN.

If it's a home or personal machine used in a work context, these cautions can be tuned down just a bit.

Blue

5. Firecat

NOD has very few compatibility problems with applications....

6. zfactor

this is his "home" office pc. he does regularly log into his office pc's to access those files but this is the one he works at from home. his son uses it when he's not it is a really great custom alienware machine so he does a lot of gaming etc... whe his dad is not using it. he does have his own but its "only" a 3.0 p4 so his kid wants to always use the better machine. his dr web home key will expire the end of the month and he was looking into nod. i just didnt know what to tell him.

hid did is NOT very tech savy... uses it for what he needs and thats all nothing more. they have symantec av at the office. while they could just install it at home they are "extremely honest" people and would not do that. his son does not like symantec so somehow he decided on dr web instead when he was looking i guess he got sort of deal on it with something he bought or ordered. thanks

7. zfactor

p.s i do not want to start a flame thread here just a legit question cause i have never used dr web. and his dad will not let him install nod to try it out so im trying to get info

8. Firecat

I know zfactor,

But sometimes certain people have the tendency to just come out and start flaming...whether it was intended by the thread starter or not. Lets hope this thread goes smoothly.

:):):)

Regards,
    Firecat

9. zfactor

thanks firecat by the way congrats i just read the thread!! i really enjoy this forum so far and all the input yours included thanks

10. Firecat

Read THE thread? Which thread? o_O

Your always welcome zfactor.

Firecat :)

11. Stan999

Stan999 Registered Member

It looks to me like they are about the same as far as trojan detection
    according to http://www.av-comparatives.org/

12. zfactor

13. hollywoodpc

hollywoodpc Registered Member

Ok guys . Back to the questions at hand .
    Z man . Both are good . Dr. web has shown improvements as of late . The trojan detection rate of NOD is about to get even better . You have gracefully said you have respect for me . That said , look what I use . Does that help ? I know you want specifics but , too many for me to go into . Do not know how to tell you to get them to switch . Sounds like it may be an uphill battle no matter what you try to do . I wish you good luck though . If you look at most tests , you will see NOD usually fairs better .

14. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

I am a user & fan of DrWeb, so regard my comments accordingly.

NOD is good, & getting better faster than most other top-ranked AV's. It also has a great support forum right here at Wilders.

Support for DrWeb is not as good as Nod's support. On the other hand, DrWeb works hand-in-glove with AdInf, one of the very best Integrity Checkers. That partnership will give good intrusion detection plus excellent malware protection. A very powerful duo!

DRW & NOD are about equal. DrWeb+AdInf is better than NOD alone, but it's 2 programs versus one. On a head-to-head basis, I recommend NOD -- good support carries the day. (Much as it pains me to say it.)

15. zfactor

thanks all of you i think i will try to get him to switch, which is what i wanted anyway :D but was hoping there would be a deciding factor in there to help the desicion if ya know what i mean. ill see what i can do thanks to all of you

16. jlo

jlo Registered Member

Hi,

I am a Nod32 user and like it for its advanced Heuristics. I also tried Dr Web and was also impressed with how light the product runs and regular updates.

I think he will be happy with either. If he has been with Dr Web for the last year and likes then why not let him keep it?

Cheers

Jlo

17. Benvan45

Benvan45 Registered Member

Have used Nod for some time, but keep on falling back on Dr Web and stick with it now. Super light, fast, updates are great. Beta Malware detection file available. Simple interface etc. etc. Handles e-mail infections just great, instead of all the screens popping up in Nod.
    Suits my system better than Nod32.

Good luck ;) Putin

18. BlueZannetti

zfactor,

OK that's an excellent step back and description of the context.

Custom Alienware machine? Well, at least the two choices are good light ones. I only used Dr Web in a trial. I personally liked NOD32 more, but you have a couple of opinions above that come to the opposite conclusion. The www.av-comparatives.org tests are a good yardstick. Current comparative performance is about equal, so if his dad is leaning towards Dr. Web (for whatever reason) he can be assured it is not a bad turn of events.

Blue

19. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

Exactly. "If it isn't broke" ;)

20. Firecat

Then dont fix it!

21. BlueZannetti

Of course, you have the other ethic that a die-hard tweaker like myself seems to adhere to...

If it isn't broke, then break it and let the fun begin....

Blue

22. Firecat

LOL!!!!

And if it isn't there, get it just for the heck of breaking it, and let the fun begin...:D

23. Don Pelotas

Don Pelotas Registered Member

Now that has a familiar ring to it. ;) :cool:

24. SDS909

SDS909 Guest

Go with Dr.Web. I found NOD32 conflicting with things, and sometimes bogging my web browsing. Dr.Web seems so light, and lovely.

I'd say the choice would be between Arcavir and Dr.Web, not Nod32, but thats my opinion, I had bad luck with Nod32 on several machines here.

25. Firecat

But tech support of Dr.Web could be better from what I hear around these forums...

ArcaVir or NOD it will be :D

Regards,
    Firecat

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.