NOD32 vs AVG vs Sophos on a network

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by eddiewood, Apr 23, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. eddiewood

eddiewood Registered Member

Hi,

As per the subject I am evaluating NOD32 and AVG. We already have Sophos. 150+ PC/Laptops, 20 servers, SMTP and Exchange.

I am in the middle of the AVG trial and the admin console is a quite powerful, if a little quirky as a GUI. I have to say that my first impressions of administration of AVG on a network is pretty good, once you get past the GUI.

Despite filling out the form on Friday, I haven't recieved access to the NOD32 trial page yet, so have to ask, has anybody tried AVG against NOD32 in a network? What made you go for NOD32 over AVG? Was it based on detection rates or the administration of it?

Ed.

2. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

I think SOPHOS is still authority for managed networks. At least it used to be, don't know how it is today...

3. eddiewood

Sophos is good but AVG/NOD32 is far cheaper than Sophos in our environment. Hence my interest in swapping ;)

4. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

eddiewood

I closed your other post on the same subject. Please don't post the same question multiple times.
    I also moved you question to the other antivirus forum as it a comparison of different antivirus programs and functions and not a direct support question involving NOD32.

5. eddiewood

It had been suggested that I should post here instead, so I did.

6. YeOldeStonecat

YeOldeStonecat Registered Member

Along the Shorelines somewhere in New England
    Yes.....a few years ago as I was finding Symantec CE didn't cut it anymore...with other AV products becoming superior in ad/spyware areas.....I started looking at a few packages. I did come down to NOD32, AVG, and Kapersky.

Back then...even though Kapersky had very strong detection rates...it's version at that time simply slowed machines down too much. Before I get flamed...I know...I know, their current versions are MUCH lighter...if I had to drop reselling NOD32 today, I'd go to Kapersky with no problem.

AVG...I found the interface decent enough...but this was just before they went to version 7...and from using both trials on several different workstations, I found that NOD32 had far superior detection rates, as well as lighter performance. This was re-enforced 10 fold when AVG went to version 7.

Sophos....I've seen their enterprise setup, have not installed or really fiddled with it..just eyeballed it. I won't comment on their detection rates.

NOD32...as far as their Enterprise Edition...I came from being a VAR for Symantec....having installed many many enterprise edition and small business edition setups since around version 5.0. I have to admit...Symantecs Management Console is tops when it comes to being intuitive. So to install anything else, they seem a bit more difficult to get the knack of. NOD32's RAS/RAC does take a few installs to get the knack of...it seems overwhelming at first. But once you're used to it....once you get the hang of it..you'll find it very very flexible, and quite powerful. Off the top of my head on this hungover day ( o_O ) I think I've installed about 20 NOD Ent Editions...and have it down to being very smooth installs, and very quick and efficient at creating configs and pushing out installs. It's a lightweight and quick management console.

7. proit

proit Registered Member

I would go with AVG, it even provides management of desktop firewall in the admin program. very easy software to use

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.