NOD32 virus signature database updated

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by dakota72, Feb 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dakota72

dakota72 Registered Member

Usually when the virus signature database is updated it pops up a little sign in my lower right corner. But now it has started to pop up a window in the center of my screen and interrups when I for example plays a game. Can I adjust this?

2. ASpace

ASpace Guest

Itis for sure a setting in the options but I can't remember which one particularly . Try this :

Attached Files:

3. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

I don't know if it is possible, but could you try dragging that notification balloon back tot the task bar.

Cheers :D

4. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Most likely this is a problem of the OS itself. Basicly NOD32 asks the OS to display a bubble and, if it's not possible, to display a normal dialog window.

5. Stan The Man

Stan The Man Registered Member

Re: NOD32 virus signature "baloon"

My "balloon" used to pop up [a very welcome appearance] just above the System Tray until after working through the suggestions to Set Up each module when it went AWOL [Absent With Out Leave]. The "Do not Show Splash Screen at Start Up" has had the Check Box check marked from day one. It operated like this for about 15 months and I am the only one with access to the machine.

Try as I may the "balloon" could not be persuaded to return, it is a much missed function that indicates just how hard Esset are working to keep our computers safe.

Recently NOD32 failed to start, a Windows Red Shield warning but no NOD32 System Tray Icon, so it was started manually. At the next re-boot an Esset warning that the NOD32 Modules could not be started, which lead to NOD32 being re-installed.

Unfortunately this has not resulted in the return of the "balloon" even though the settings [apart from "Do not Show Splash Screen at Start Up" which again has the Check Box check marked].

Any help to get the return of the "balloon" and any pointers as to what may have caused the Module issue with NOD32, will be appreciated.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2007
  6. dakota72

dakota72 Registered Member

Hitech_boy, I already had that setting. But I think I know what the problem is, there's no NOD32 system tray icon. Although NOD32 starts at reboot, no tray icon shows up. Maybe it's just best to reinstall?

7. ASpace

ASpace Guest

There was a thread before about something in Windows Registry that stops all kind of bubble (I can't find it) but since you don't have any Control Center icon in the sys tray , you'd better reinstall NOD32 :

1) Download a fresh copy of NOD32 for your correct operating system
    Full paid version

2) Goto Control Panel-> Add/Remove programs and Uninstall NOD32

3) Reboot

4) Goto C:\Program files and manually delete the folder ESET

5) Install NOD32 from the file you just downloaded in step 1
    Use Typical settings

6) Make sure you have stable i-net connection and NOD32 (nodkrn.exe) is allowed to go through your firewall and Update NOD

7) Configure NOD32 as shown here

Enjoy !

8. Stan The Man

Stan The Man Registered Member

Re: NOD32 Balloon Tip Restored

Hi HiTech_boy

Is this the thread you were looking for?

Notification balloon request

This above mentioned thread points to this MS link which is an article on Windows "balloon" issues at:

HOW TO: Disable Notification Area Balloon Tips in Windows XP

Note that this article directs how to DISABLE Balloon Tips and MS say Notification Area balloon tips behaviour cannot be set for individual programs.

The solution to reinstating the missing Balloon Tip for NOD32 was to follow the MS article linked above which involves editing the Registry [at your own risk] via Start > Run > regedit [typed into the entry field] and in the Registry Editor navigate to:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced. There look for the DWORD value EnableBalloonTips in the right hand pane, double click it and give it a hexadecimal value of 1 if you want to ENABLE Balloon Tips. The article also describes how to make the DWORD value if it does not exist.

My Registry contained the DWORD value but I have no recollection of ever changing it to 0 [Zero].

Having closed the Registry Editor open NOD32 Control Center > Nod32 System Tools > NOD32 System Setup > Setup > General tab > Silent Mode remove check mark from the box if necessary.

Following a re-boot you should be comfortable in the knowledge that NOD32 will be keeping you advised, via the balloon, each time it updates. The balloon appears just above the System Tray. If you decide you do not want this to happen simply change the DWORD value to 0 [Zero]. Marcos points out turning off the Balloon Tips may invoke a normal dialogue display, but this did not happen in my case.

This Balloon Tip restoration worked for me.

9. ASpace

ASpace Guest

Re: NOD32 Balloon Tip Restored

Hi again , thanks for letting us know :thumb:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.