NOD32 versus everyone else

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by n8chavez, Nov 2, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. n8chavez

n8chavez Registered Member

I iknow most everyone seems to hate these "this versus that threads" but sometimes they can be of value. I hope that is the case here. Since NOD32 has released a beta (2.7) of it's product, one that incorporates 'anti-stealth' technology that is supposed to better protect the user from rootkits and spyware, I got to wondering just where did the rest of the 'big' products stack up in comparison to this beta. Just how good are other products in the areas in which the NOD32 beta has improved itself.

Dr Web has been getting a lot of chatter lately. And honestly I like the product very much, for reasons that have been discussed at length here. It it's current product 'good' when compared to NOD's beta features. Also, what about spyware detection? Is that 'good' too? What about the doc's ability to clean what it finds, is that 'adequate'? These are all areas that NOD's beta has improved upon, so in this case I think a "this versus that" thread is warranted.

Any thoughts?

Nate

Last edited: Nov 2, 2006
  2. disinter1

disinter1 Guest

Well, I don't know about the beta, but I trailed NOD32 and it was very confusing to me, and that's because I tried reading all the blacksphere(or whatever) info. To much config for me to get it working nice and all. So I really hope they make it average Joe friendly, and not computer tech friendly.

3. trjam

trjam Registered Member

I would look at Antivirs suite, currently best detection rates, great firewall, and soon root kit removal ability. Kav is also good.

4. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

After trialing both I prefer KAV 6 to NOD. If it would run well on my system I would also prefer Avira. I also use F-Secure, and prefer it to NOD.

NOD is a fine AV, and I would be happy with it, but prefer others.

Jerry

5. bs259

bs259 Registered Member

I presently have KIS on main comp, avira on laptop, I had tried nod32 v 2.7 on 3 different computer using blackspears settings and to be honest i dont like the software, i keep reading that nod is light and scans super fast, perhaps it does, but im my experience KIS 1st scan was a little slower than nod, but all scans since blow nod away, also for some reason nod doesnt like musicmatch, if i look at taskmanager while doing a scan cpu goes to about 70% to 100% for whatever reason and doesnt go back to normal until I stop the process from running. Avira used to do the same thing, it still might when it comes to music match, i have to run another scan to see.

6. lodore

lodore Registered Member

well when i done a scan of nod32 on my old pc it took 3minutes on blackspear settings. kav 6 on the other hand took 25minutes on its first scan on standard settings. that is quite a big difference.
    it doesnt matter that much because with ichecker and ishift it is alot faster and with its great packer suppport the speed doesnt really matter.
    lodore

7. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

As for the title of this thread, Nod32 is a good product, but it is not better than every other av product out there. There are several av programs available that are better than nod in my testing and my own opinion. but the choice is invariably in the hands of the user to choose the security programs that are best for them not what everyone says is best for them.

bigc

8. n8chavez

I didn't mean to imply that. I actually just wanted to stimulate discussion of NOD's new beta features as they compare to the capabilities of other products; not a discussion of NOD32 in general, nor a 'what else should I try' thread. I guess that isn't going to work.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 2, 2006
  9. bigc73542

Please don't get me wrong. I was not questioning you intent. I was just venting an opinion:thumb:

bigc

P.S. It says I edited you post on you post. I didn't I just hit the edit button instead of the quote button by mistake, sorry.

10. n8chavez

I understand that. It just seeems like the thread was already veering. There are plenty of general NOD32 threads. If that's what people want to discuss...go post there.

bigc -- What products do you thnk are better than NOD32? Why do you think that? Are they better than NOD32 in it's new beta features?

11. lodore

lodore Registered Member

i was just wondering which av's you conider better than nod32 in your opiontion?

lodore

12. bigc73542

I believe that Kav,f-secure and norton 2007 are as good or better. and as a free av antivir (avira) is excellent. But don't get me wrong I am in no way saying Nod isn't good because it is excellent but in my experience and use the ones I listed are as good or possibly better is their own respects. But It is always for the individual user to researce ,trial and decide for their self. Personally I use Symantec corporate av and wouldn't change to any other av that is available now. But again that is just my preference.

13. lodore

lodore Registered Member

I would have to say norton corprate av is good but cant use it myself because im a home user. i just wish the home norton versions were as light as as configable as the corprate versions.

lodore

14. bigc73542

their sales would go up if they made it available to home users. It is a much better product than their home version, although the home ver. 2007 is doing pretty well.

15. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

From what I've read you haven't been able to properly evaluate NOD because you haven't been able to get it to run properly on your your system in testing and thus adversely affected your opinion. Would that be a fair sumation of your experience?

16. Firefighter

Firefighter Registered Member

You were right. As a "several" in my mind have to include at least 3 different av:s. When we are talking about single engined av:s with different scanning engines, I still can't find more than 3...4. :D

Best regards,
    Firefighter!

17. bigc73542

There aren't many since nod is an excellent progy.

18. bigc73542

I have used nod on my test computer but it won't work on this one my primary. I wouldn't have given that opinion if I hadn't ever had the chance to use it.

19. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

Thank you. I was wondering to what extent you had been able to test it and now I know since quotes about problems came to mind.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.