NOD32 version 4 -cannot change default settings.

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by al92lt1, Mar 13, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. al92lt1

al92lt1 Registered Member

I am logged on as administrator, in fact I am the only user. When I try to change ANY settings, I get the message that I do not have permission.

2. pegr

pegr Registered Member

I was over at a friend's house a couple of nights ago and he has exactly the same problem.

3. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

Is it possible that malware previously "buggered" the registry permissions before installing nod? Try logging into safe mode and changing settings.

4. pegr

pegr Registered Member

Unlikely in my friend's case because his machine has pretty good security. On-demand scans using various anti-malware scanners have always come up clean and the PC has never shown any signs of malware activity.

The problem started straight away after uninstalling NOD32 v3 and installing NOD32 v4. There was never any problem changing settings with Version 3. The problem only started after installing Version 4 final.

5. elapsed

Was it installed over v3?

6. pegr

pegr Registered Member

No, v3 was uninstalled first before installing v4.

7. elapsed

What OS/Service packs? Did you try changing settings in safe mode to see the effect?

8. pegr

pegr Registered Member

My friend is running XP Home SP3 and no, he hasn't tried entering safe mode, so I've no idea whether or not this would work. Even if the settings could be changed from within safe mode, users shouldn't be forced to enter safe mode just to use basic program functionality. As previously stated, this PC does not show any signs of malware (if it did then NOD32 along with ThreatFire, MBAM, Sandboxie, and a few other tools would have already have failed to do their job).

The only change my friend wanted to make was to enable Potentially Unwanted Applications, which he forgot to do when installing v4. I suggested the quickest way would be to uninstall v4 then reinstall it again with Potentially Unwanted Applications enabled. He did this, but whilst this resolved his immediate issue, the problem of not being able to change settings persisted after the reinstall.

I repeat, my friend's problem only started after installing v4. It was never a problem with v3. I don't use NOD32 myself (currently using AntiVir v8 and waiting for v9 to be released before making up my mind) but I did try the NOD32 v4 beta on my PC running XP Pro SP3. I was able to change settings using the beta, but I haven't as yet downloaded a trial of v4 final so I can't comment on the final release. I did experience some problems concerning settings using the beta. In my case it was an inability to export settings but I don't remember what the error message was. The problem was an intermittent one which was never resolved.

I was surprised at the very short time between RC1 and v4 final being released, so maybe ESET have rushed things. Judging by the number of problems new to v4 being reported by others here at Wilders, it does appear that this may be the case. My sole reason for posting in this thread was to let the OP know that they are not the only one experiencing this problem and to alert ESET to a potential bug in their software.

Many thanks for your assistance. It's nice to know that there are fellow users like yourself who are always willing to help others resolve problems. As this looks to me like a software bug though, I think this is one for ESET to pick up and investigate.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2009
  9. al92lt1

al92lt1 Registered Member

I finally solved it. I reinstalled version 3 and then installed version 4 over it. Now everything works fine.

10. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Those having this problem, please do the following:
    1, check the digital signature of ekrn.exe
    2, try disabling self-defense and restarting the computer

Let us know about your findings.

11. virkelie

virkelie Registered Member

The digital signature is OK.
    Disabling self-defense and restarting - makes no difference.

Is ESET working on a solution?

12. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

There's nothing to fix if you have insufficient permissions to registry keys or folders. I'd suggest uninstalling ESET and reinstalling it so that registry keys are created with default permissions.

13. virkelie

virkelie Registered Member

I think there is something to fix.
    I uninstalled and reinstalled - it didn't make a difference.

I think the problem lies in how ESET handles the registry upon the installation of Nod32 Version 4.
    ESET does not automatically add your logon name to its permissions in the registry.

So here is the solution (at least it worked for me). The solution is based on this thread:
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=219968

1. Run regedit
    2. Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ESET\ESET Security
    3. Right click the "ESET Security" registry key, and click "Permissions".
    4. Go to "Advanced" settings; Add "logon name" (ie the name you logon with on your computer); and give yourself "Full Control" to "this key and subkeys".

And Voila! Settings in Nod32 version 4 can now be changed!

14. piranha

piranha Registered Member

strange steps....

why not just a clean install of v4 only ??

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.